Honored Contributor

Re: Please help! Rosacea makeup recommendations?

@Sweet Kitties 

Are you on any prescribed meds for this?  I just ask because I've had rosacea for many years.  I use Metro Gel or Cream which my derm. prescribed.  I go through periods where I'm pretty good and at other times, I just want to scream! 

If you aren't currently under derm. care, you might want to make an appt. to see what they can offer or suggest for you. They might want to put you on a short period of antibiotic.  

I have the broken caps, which are permanent --- unless you go to get them medically treated -- and I have some redness, which is worse on some days than others.  I also have periods where I have red bumps, kind of like blemishes.  These times are the worst!

I do believe for me that times of stress and times of extreme weather conditions, such as cold, heat, sun, wind, etc., make my condition worse.

As for makeup, etc., those green tinted things never did anything for me.  I have the best luck with Laura Geller B&B.  It's easy and I find it gentle.  Clinique is another good option.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mayo Clinic:

The cause of rosacea is unknown, but it could be due to an overactive immune system, heredity, environmental factors or a combination of these. Rosacea is not caused by poor hygiene and it's not contagious.

Flare-ups might be triggered by:

• Hot drinks and spicy foods
  • Red wine and other alcoholic beverages
  • Temperature extremes
  • Sun or wind
  • Emotions
  • Exercise
  • Drugs that dilate blood vessels, including some blood pressure medications
  • Some cosmetic, skin or hair care products

Risk factors

Anyone can develop rosacea. But you may be more likely to develop it if you:

• Are female
  • Have skin that burns easily in the sun
  • Are over age 30
  • Smoke
  • Have a family history of rosacea
“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” -Mark Twain
Occasional Contributor

I developed rosacea 30+ years ago.  While it has generally been in remission for many years, I do get minor flares after wearing a mask (required in my medical practice).  Mineral make-up covers well and does not aggravate.  Make sure that the product has no talc or bismuth.  Jane Iredale or La Bella Donna are great products, plus they have a physical sun screen which is very necessary for rosacea.  Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

bareMinerals Bisque concealer works well to cover my Rosacea. For me it does a good job neutralizing redness.

Valued Contributor

Thank you to everyone who has responded. The QVC community has a lot of very helpful & nice people! I do see a dermatologist, but haven't lately. If it gets worse, I'll get the perscription cream. When I woke up this morning it seems to be starting to calm down again. Hopefully I'm going into remission now. I'll try some of the makeup you suggested to hide it until the redness & pimples go away.

Valued Contributor

I have autoimmune problems and Rosacea came along due to that. When I flare I use  Bare Minerals original mineral make up. It knocks down the redness and dosesn't make the problem worse.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Kitties 

Just saw this on Sephora and thought I'd pass it along.  Hope you find something that works for you.

Dr. Jart+ - Cicapair™ Redness Rescue Kit

Frequent Contributor

Clinique makes a line of products called Redness Solutions which are excellent.  Includes a cleanser, daily relief cream, foundation, instant relief mineral pressed powder.  My favorites are the cream and powder.  See the product descriptions on their website.  I think QVC carries some of these things.  

New Contributor

Hi, I was just diagnosed in December. I am on doxycycline and use Metrogel. So far, the only makeup that I use that successfully covers the redness is IT cosmemetics CC cream.