Honored Contributor

Re: Plastic surgery.Yes or No?

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Do you mean Cosmetic Surgery?

I haven’t seen the phrase ‘plastic surgery’ in such a long time.

There’s a difference between the two.

And no, I don’t have an issue w/ cosmetic surgery.

I see the phrase "plastic surgery" all the time. It's not unusual...

I guess I hang out in neighborhoods where cosmetic surgery

is the proper phrase for elective surgery. 

But as I stated before, not knowing the distinct difference

is the reason why there’s botched elective surgery.  

Cosmetic vs plastic surgery are 2 complete different things. 

and the results will be 2 complete different outcomes.

A competent surgeon for elective surgery will be certified

through the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. 

Good luck. 

Oh I'm sure you DO.

LOL

The only place I see ‘PLASTIC SURGERY’ is when I go

downtown for jury duty....it’s a usually store front sign 

between the bail bonds & liquor/cigarette stores..and someone

cleaning the sidewalk from a shooting the night before.

But hey...if someone wants to get a nose job in a place like that,

Godspeed. 

Super Contributor

I'm all for it. I plan on having one in March of 2019. I'm 68 and there's no serum on earth which will get rid of the sags and wrinkles, not at this age.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Booksamillion wrote:
Yes,I can afford it. Even my husband supports me on it. Do not think I am stupid. I am any thing but stupid.
I am honest if nothing else!

Many can "afford it".  It's a matter of choosing to spend the money or not.  So when some say they can't afford it, they'd rather use their money on other priorities.

@San Antonio Gal I'm not so sure about that as some procedures can be pretty expensive.

I have my quote from last year and the total is over $120,000. My insurance has made it very difficult to qualify for breast reduction; 4 years ago, it would have been covered without issue. Now...it's a nightmare. My PC is 100% on my side and agrees it has become much more difficult to get insurance to cover what they used to (especially breast reduction). And no, the cost is not just for the reduction and lift but excess skin on my body from massive weight loss.

Depending on the procedure, you may NOT want to leave that day or even the next day but DAYS later....adds more money. You may need home care because if you can't take care of yourself, who will? Add in that I would have to hire care for my son as well and....there it is.

It's 100% about being able to afford it for me. I don't have $120,000 plus just sitting in an account to be spent on cosmetic surgery. I don't believe many do and going into debt for something cosmetic (no matter badly you want it) is stupid (IMHO).

Respected Contributor

I had hooded eyes, so I had them done in my mid 40's and I had a tummy tuck done after I lost a lot of weight. 

I have done botox and juvederm. 

That would be as far as I would go.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

@sidsmomI go on RealSelf quite often and there are lots of FAQs from users and most of the surgeons there - and they are practising PS - list themselves as "Plastic Surgeons",  some list with a specialty i.e.  Facial Plastic Surgeon; Oculoplastic Surgeon. 

One should be more concerned with the level of education v whether they call themselves Cosmetic Surgeons.    Look for   "FACS"  listed in their credentials. Fellow of American College of Surgeons"  which indicates advanced training in their field.

BTW any MD can sign up for a weekend seminar to learn a variety of "cosmetic" procedures, like thread lifts (the dreaded "barbed -wire" face lift)

Honored Contributor

I would consider it. I'd probably go for some sort of implants and/or fat grafting. I really think volume loss and fat pad shifting are the major culprits that cause sag and make us look different than we want to look. That's why fillers are so effective and popular.

But it seems like such a waste to me to get injections so often. I don't prefer to have my face slowly inflate and deflate every few months. I'd rather do something that would last much longer. So a small, subtle, mid cheek implant (not a cheekbone implant) with some fat grafted around it would make more sense to me if I'm going to bother to mess around with my face.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I go to Duke for my medical care and they have a department of plastic surgery, not cosmetic surgery.  It’s really semantics and not germaine to to this discussion as we are on the same page about what we are discussing,  

Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Booksamillion wrote:
Yes,I can afford it. Even my husband supports me on it. Do not think I am stupid. I am any thing but stupid.
I am honest if nothing else!

Many can "afford it".  It's a matter of choosing to spend the money or not.  So when some say they can't afford it, they'd rather use their money on other priorities.

That's not always the case.  My house taxes, house upkeep and daily living expenses don't leave enough to even think about cosmetic surgery.  It's not a choice.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some minor tweaks as the aging process continues....I would be fine with. Nothing major. I do not have the want or need to look like I am trying too hard. Most women over 60 who have a lot of work look 😱 startled...pulled...fake. If they like that, fine, but I do not like that.