Honored Contributor

Re: Plan to go Gray in 2022!

Not me.  Darkness accents the darkness under my eyes.  Not happy to go there at all.Smiley Happy  Nope!

Valued Contributor

What a great topic.  I love gray hair on others.  I am 66 and can't see going gray until I'm much older.  My mother had terrible thin hair and wore a wiglet first and then a wig.  By the time she was in her 50's she was wearing the wiglet.  It was light brown and it looked good on her.  Finally, at 80 she said it was time to get a silver wig.  First she bought a salt and pepper one and it looked awful.  It made her look grouchy and old.  Her wig stylist encouraged her to go silver but my mom wanted that wig.  A week later, she relented and went back with me to the salon and purchased the silver one.  It took me about a week to get used to looking at her but it did grow on me and she looked nice.  She's gone now but looked beautiful - she passed at age 93.  

I have the same kind of hair although mine is not as thin as my mom's.  The friends of mine who have gone gray have much better hair than mine.  Thick, pretty hair.   

I will be coloring my hair for a very very long time, maybe forever.  I noticed Rosalyn Carter still colors her hair and she's well into her 90s Smiley Happy  

I believe each of us knows what's best for us.  There's room for all of us Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I respect you and I'm sure you are an attractive confident woman.  I agree with your priorities when it comes to beauty.

Esteemed Contributor

I always had rich brown hair and have a wonderful stylist.  As I began to get older she lightened it a bit and we would add highlights.  She had been talking about me transitioning to the white she saw.  (like my Moms) I said no until the back turned to.

Just before our lock down she said it's time!  I took it as a sign LOL.  I went 18 weeks without color   We we got back together we cut my below shoulder hair to shoulder length to my shoulders and there were some grey still in the back.  Two weeks ago I took a plunge and went short and it took a couple of more years off, I love it!!!

I always knew I could go back to the dye but I didn't. @ mentioned it is freeing, I totally agree.  @Shanus , I think I look better with my white hair in a cool style then with the darker longer hair.  No more fighting mother nature.  

Esteemed Contributor

I started to let my hair grow out last year, and I hated the result.  Couldn’t wait to get back to my hairdresser who does a great job.  Dark blonde, chin-length hair suits me.  Maybe I will never go grey, who knows?

Honored Contributor

I last got my hair colored in April.  I had gotten it highlighted and now it's mostly all grown out. 

My hair is a solid brunette and I had been thinking of getting highlights again soon but I'm a bit wary now with spending more time at a salon considering the pandemic's new turn of events.  I will wait to see how things go first.  However at 67 it's still all dark brown.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

In a strange way I wish I did have some gray. My hair is just one color...very, very dark brown, almost black. Boring but I would hate to commit to going to a salon to have it lightened constantly. So be it. Woman Frustrated

@SilleeMee Same here.  It's not black but a solid dark brown....I need to get highlights again just to lighten it up a bit around my face.

Respected Contributor

I have short hair and tried to let the gray grow out in 2020. It was so ugly.  It was not a silvery gray but an ugly mixture and even that was not evenly spread.  It was whiter in some areas and darker in others.  Sometimes I think I would like to buy a wig and then go get it buzz cut and let it grow out under the wig.  I don't have the patience to look at the mess until it all can be cut off even tho I have short hair. 

Honored Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

i did it over a year ago actually during the first lookdown despite all the social media nonsense about it being a struggle, daunting, transition, etc I found it not a problem

and now is a good time to do it, as it is a popular thing 

and it's not set in stone, can always go back

and your stylist can control the amount of 'gray' you have.  I had one stylist take matters into her own hands and color me blond - and THAT issue was corrected the next day.

It's worth it.  I debated for a years before I actually took a dip into the 'gray' pool.  

if the lockdown had not happened I probably would not have done it, I had about 2 months of grow-out then, it was just the impetus to go-ahead

Esteemed Contributor

Yes! Go for it! To me, an older woman with naturally gray hair is so much more beautiful than one with dyed hair. I always had naturally dark blonde hair - I didn't color my hair except to add a few streaks now and then. After age 55, my gray started coming in streaks. It was a natural transition to stop adding artificial streaks and let the gray (now white) take over. At 72, my hair has been a lovely silver white for many years and I get lots of compliments on it.

Beauty is an attitude - have a good one!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt