Valued Contributor

Re: Plan to go Gray in 2022!

No way! My friend went gray during 2020 and she looks 10 years older. I despise coloring my hair but I refuse to give in, yet! More power to you if you're ready!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

I love the grey coming in!  I have my hair highlighted platinum, but love seeing the grey roots.

There are many 20/30 somethings that have the same *base* color as my dark grey, but they are getting highlights in a golden blonde.

I love the contrast of the grey and the white streaks of the highlights.

I've always been told that I have a *pretty grey* coming in.  I didnt' know it --because I was getting my hair colored (ashy) brown and the contrast was wicked looking.  Skunk line at my part.  UGH....!!!

But at a glance, I appear to be a platinum blonde with darker roots.

If I didn't love it, I wouldn't do it.  I want to look young for my age and for some reason---this works.  Has nothing to do with saving money or not spending hours at the salon (I still do!).  Has more to do with my hair looking great.

Honored Contributor

My hair is a very light brown base (natural color) with a lot of blonde highlights. I have a few gray hairs by the fourth week after coloring my hair (single process, no bleach) but according to my husband you need a magnifying glass to see them. I confess I am happy that at 68, I continue to be able to be blonde. I love the shade and it makes me feel good.... something that reminds me of when I was young. Many changes over the years but my hair remains almost the same.💐

Respected Contributor

i have doing demi for years and adding in some DIY  highlights here and there.   i've not colored since July...this is the longest i've gone w no color.  i cannot  stand the older growthcolor so i've been cutting 3" every few months.

no longer need to deep condition now and i do have a few naturally white stripes coming front ala Mrs. Robinson

Honored Contributor

I did it a year or so ago!  I wasn't sure about it and I'm still not. But for me it was not so hard as my hair wasn't very dark to begin with.  DH claims to like it very much and says --- don't go back to coloring it.  I DO like not having to mess with the color and that is a definite plus.  And my hair seems somewhat healthier and not as dry.  Try it out and if you don't care for it, you can always color it again!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I do think if you have pretty, glossy, smooth type hair, and a medium to darker complexion, gray can look good. But my grays are ugly, shiny silver, poke out everywhere and super dry- No way for me. 
I just tried the highlight strategy to mask them but it damaged my hair, although it was a pricey salon, my hair is super porous. 
Anyway, I am now trying a color mask that washes out after a few shampoos. Reviews say it tones the grays enough to help. Trying it today.   I'll report back! 

Super Contributor

Congratulations.  I have not regretted my decision.  Plus, there is nothing that makes you look older than dyed hair when you are older.  But remember as you gray, you need to change the colors/makeup too.  Plus your skin does age and you need to update the colors you wear too.  Rock The Gray!  Beautiful. i do believe it is and can be very flattering.  

Honored Contributor

I've been white for several years now, I like it and its freedom and a money saver.

Dont get discouraged when its growing out,  it can be discouraging.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Contributor

Oh yes!  I have and I did.  The compliments are galore.  Last full head dye job was 1st w/e in 10/21 and have fully transistioned a year later.  Granted by mid summer 2021, I got my hair cut short but even that had many compliments.  So glad I did it and never, ever going back to dying my hair.  Ever.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Not me.  I like my red hair, and coloring it makes it appear thicker.  

@Icegoddess 

Indeed!  I just got my hair colored today.  I typically get it colored every 6 weeks but went 7 this time & I couldn't stand looking at the gray for one extra week!  Now I'm back to my glorious, vibrant, red hair & it looks mahhhhvelous!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.