Esteemed Contributor

Re: Plan to go Gray in 2022!

I dyed my hair for over 30 years but after I retired it became more difficult ( even doing it at home I had do do it every 2-3 weeks).  I travel a lot and its not always convenient to do it in a hotel.  I told my stylist to cut it very short and a month later she did it again and it was all gone.  Now I wear it below my shoulders and found I have some natural curl.  I use a shampoo for silver hair that is in the form of a bar ( so easy).  Last that I cut it was Oct. 2019; since then I have DH cut it wet and use hair scissors and a cutting guide I got from Amazon.

Trusted Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

i did it over a year ago actually during the first lookdown despite all the social media nonsense about it being a struggle, daunting, transition, etc I found it not a problem

and now is a good time to do it, as it is a popular thing 

and it's not set in stone, can always go back

and your stylist can control the amount of 'gray' you have.  I had one stylist take matters into her own hands and color me blond - and THAT issue was corrected the next day.

It's worth it.  I debated for a years before I actually took a dip into the 'gray' pool.  

Trusted Contributor

I went gray this year with the help of my stylist with highlights.  I loved it at first, but as my true color has come in, it is really silvery gray.  I know that I look a lot older when I see recent photos.  I may ask about getting more "pepper" added to the salt.

Frequent Contributor

Has anyone with naturally red hair gone gray. I'm about a third gray. 68 and just can't imagine how it would look with freckles. Ha. Tired of dying but can't make myself decide to let it go. Thanks for your comments 

Trusted Contributor

Nope!

Honored Contributor

In a strange way I wish I did have some gray. My hair is just one color...very, very dark brown, almost black. Boring but I would hate to commit to going to a salon to have it lightened constantly. So be it. Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

The last time I dyed it was March 2021. I had been going to Madison Reed pre pandemic for about 4 years and loved their color.  I started ordering online during the shut down. They cancelled my subscription because I mentioned I  was losing my hair in a survey that they sent me. I didn't  say it was due to their product and I tried to explain it wasn't from them; just my own issue. Apparently,  many women have blamed the product and there's a class action against them.

Because I didn't know what to do and what to use; I stopped coloring. The remnants are still with me and it looks a little brassy here and there but I'm sticking with it to see how it turns out. My hair looks a lot better and I'm not losing as much; so maybe it was their product. 

I got a good hairstylist that clips around and tries to get the brass out as much as he can.  I think 2 more cuts and it will be all gone. That should be in April. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gillsburg 

You made me stop and think and I can't think of one red head woman I know that has gone totally grey or white. Red headed men, yes. But women no. Now I will spend the night going thru mental pictures of all the red heads I know. Smiley Happy 

BTW, always wanted red hair, but could never pull the trigger to try it.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I was just discussing how long ago I stopped coloring with my daughter today.  I stopped when she was pregnant with my 17 year old granddaughter.

I am so happy I did.  It is so freeing. I was coloring every three weeks and always had a skunk stripe.  My hair grows fast.  I just got a pixie cut and it looked nice growing out.

I am 67 and I am still shocked that people still think I am in my 50's.  Even my doctor said to me at the last visit..." when you go on Medicare". I had to remind him that I already have Medicare.

No one associates old age with gray or white hair anymore except old people. Many young people are gray...like Alberti.

Honored Contributor

@gillsburg wrote:

Has anyone with naturally red hair gone gray. I'm about a third gray. 68 and just can't imagine how it would look with freckles. Ha. Tired of dying but can't make myself decide to let it go. Thanks for your comments 

I am an old hairdresser. Every red haired person I know didn't get gray hair. It went to white

I absolutely love the red and white mix during the transition period.  The color is beautiful.