Esteemed Contributor

I never thought I'd do it, but I have decided to quit dyeing my hair and to let the gray come in naturally! Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder---and I now see grayish and fully gray hair as really beautiful! I know its a long transition. Anyone else transitioning to gray hair (embracing going gray)?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Plan to go Gray in 2022!

I did embrace it for over a year  ... then went back to getting my hair colored by a professional every 16 weeks. I was light blonde and my grey hair was white, so it wasn't a huge difference to me. Until I saw a picture of myself w/ all grey hair.

But, I am not trying to deter you, everyone is different. Some people's grey hair is stunning. My aunt had lots and lots of white hair and my cousins inherited her coloring and they look spectacular w/ grey hair. I say go for it and see how you like it. 

It is a long process tho ... depending on how long your hair is and how dark it is now, the grow out phase can be daunting to get thru. 

Good luck.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

To quit coloring hair is very freeing and I love my natural silver hair.  Get many compliments on it except for the toddler in the grocery store who pointed at me and shrieked, "Grandma".  Her mother was mortified, if that helps.  I was amused. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have not had my hair touched up since Sept 2021. I broke my hip and my hair was the last thing on my mind. Not going to salons these days so I am not salt and pepper. I am learning to live with. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I did it a few years ago. So glad I did. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

i've been salt&pepper since my 30's....i'm now 71....and almost all salt!  i've always worn my hair short...and have always gotten many compliments....

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I put away the dye over a year ago. My hair was graying in my 30's, so I had to dye almost every three weeks, or I had a obvious snow line. Too much dye was hard on my scalp and hair.

Now my hair is a beautiful silver down beyond my shoulders. I'm frequently complemented on it. The texture has continued to change and I now have soft spiral curls when left to air dry. It's nice. The dye I had used so long was obviously straightening my hair. 

I love mine, but you have to stick with the changes. I almost caved a number of times. You won't get the full effect until it's fully grown out. I hope you love yours as much as I do mine.

Trusted Contributor

I finally did it !  and glad too.

I did not stop getting my hair colored - I just told the colorist/stylist what my ambitions were.  The stylist highlighted  gray - in hard.  This is all highlighting but when the toner is applied its gray - not blond.   I made appointments as I had the money.  It is not a cheap endeavor but well worth the professional advice.  

My roots are gray/white.  After 2 years of graying (about 3x yearly to the stylist for 2 years), I am now getting my hair colored gray (I should say highlighted) every 6 months.  This is the healthiest my hair has ever been.\

Honored Contributor

i did it over a year ago actually during the first lookdown despite all the social media nonsense about it being a struggle, daunting, transition, etc I found it not a problem

and now is a good time to do it, as it is a popular thing 

and it's not set in stone, can always go back

Honored Contributor

Not me.  I like my red hair, and coloring it makes it appear thicker.