Super Contributor

Physical sunscreen use - has this happened to anyone else?

I read so much good information on these boards, and avidly followed discussions on chemical vs. physical sunscreens for awhile. A couple of months ago, I decided that a physical sunscreen was a good option, so I purchased the EltaMD Clear 46 after reading so many great reviews. For reference, my skin is very fair, sensitive but prone to break-outs, with mild rosacea. I am 49 and get compliments on my skin frequently.

Well, at first I loved the EltaMD, and I loved the fact it has a higher % of zinc than what I had been using. After about a month of use though, I started breaking out! It was bad, too, worse than I have experienced in years along with significant redness. The worse thing is, my skin was not really healing like it usually does with breakouts. During this time, I kept using the EltaMD. Finally it was like a light bulb went off over my head and I realized it was likely the EltaMD causing this. I must add during this time, I moved cross-country and started a new job, so I was under more stress (not to mention a different climate) than usual, but my skin has never really reacted to stress in such a manner.

Anyway, I stopped using the EltaMD, and began using my previous product, Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer with 30 SPF. Almost immediately my skin calmed down and started healing, and two weeks later is crystal clear, smooth, nice with no redness.

Has anyone had a reaction to a physical sunscreen similar to this, or am I really off in thinking it was the EltaMD? My skin has always been very sensitive to new products, and I typically don't experiment once I find something that I like and works and I don't react to. I just think a physical sunscreen in more desirable than a chemical version, but if I can't tolerate it I guess the chemical is better than none. Especially since I am so very fair and burn easily. Opinions, thoughts, etc.? Thanks. I feel like I get the best info from this board. Kiss

Trusted Contributor

Re: Physical sunscreen use - has this happened to anyone else?

Hi Becca,

It seems to me your skin is telling you loud and clear the Elta is not for you. No need to torture yourself there. Ditch it.

I looked up Elta (perhaps they changed their formula since the ingredient list I found) but in addition to the zinc - which they specifically noted in their advertisement, it also contained a chemical sunscreen. (I then looked up the chemical and found opinions that it increased free radical activity.) I am not a skin care guru, so anyone interested in this will have to do their own research.

You mention in your post that you had already used zinc (at a lower percentage) so I doubt it was the zinc which, in and of itself, caused the breakout.

That being said, your current product is "oil control". You may need something extra to keep your skin from breaking out. (Personally, my skin likes salicylic acid to keep my pores clear, but I don't have rosacea, and everyone's skin is different.)

Bottom line, since you already used zinc without a problem, and that was the only physical sunscreen in Elta, I don't think it was the physical sunscreen that caused the problem. There are a number of other ingredients in the Elta which could have caused the problem. If you do use zinc, you may however, need an additional ingredient to control oil, or to prevent pore congestion. What works for some, will not necessarily work for all.

Do the math.
Trusted Contributor

I don't think it was the zinc, either, but the chemical sunscreen ingredient.

My face always breaks out in a rash from chemical suncreens.

The other EltaMD sunscreen, EltaMD UV Physical Broad-spectrum SPF 41 does not contain any chemical sunscreens. It contains 9% zinc oxide and 7% titanium dioxide. I think this is the one that gets great reviews for a physical sunscreen.

Super Contributor

EltaMD SPF 46 has physical and chemical sunscreens. EltaMD SPF 41 has physical sunscreen only.

I agree with the previous poster -- I think something else may have caused the reaction.

ETA - I see someone else posted the same info at the same time I did. Sorry for the repetitive info.

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Sweet Susie said:

The other EltaMD sunscreen, EltaMD UV Physical Broad-spectrum SPF 41 does not contain any chemical sunscreens. It contains 9% zinc oxide and 7% titanium dioxide. I think this is the one that gets great reviews for a physical sunscreen.

The other Elta that does NOT contain any chemical sunscreen is the Elta Pure SPF 47 which I prefer over the SPF 41 (which is tinted and the tint may not work with your fair skin).

OP I'd try again but this time try one with ONLY physical sunscreens. I cannot use chemical sunscreens even in small amounts, as they irritate my skin.

Respected Contributor

Yep, sounds like the culprit.

Regular Contributor

I use physical sunscreen daily with no problems (either MDSolarsciences from Sephora or SkinCeuticals from Endless Beauty Care).

Elta MD SPF 41 broke me out. I have very oily, acne-prone skin.

Respected Contributor

OP, you might try SPF from Paula's Choice. I really like the Resist. There are choices by skin type both chemical and physical. I always prefer physical. Chemical stings my skin and turns it red.

Super Contributor

The cetaphil that she says she uses successfully contains only chemical sunscreen ingredients, so I don't think that's the culprit. Zinc oxide can be pore clogging for some people.

Super Contributor

Supergoop has a SPF35 CC that is tinted. I am very fair and I use the fair/light which is very nice. My skin has been really fussy lately and this has not caused any breakouts. Also the Suntegrity Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen and Primer SPF 30 for the face is also very gentle on my skin. Actually I have had retin-a burned skin and that one actually helped it heal very quickly. They both are physical sunscreens.