Honored Contributor

Re: Philospophy Ingredients - no thank you.

A while back I picked up a bottle of Purity at Ulta. I was mortified when I read the back of the bottle! every single ingredient that every other line brags about omitting, just like the old Prego commercials, " it's in there" when it comes to Philosophy. I don't have sensitive skin but why ask for trouble if I don't have to? Many of the ingredients are known irritants
Respected Contributor

I have sensitive skin and I love Purity. It's the only cleanser that takes all my makeup off (and I wear heavy makeup) and leaves my skin feeling clean. I'm weeding through my Philosophy bath/body products and am moving on to products with better ingredients. But I won't give up Purity, or my Amazing Grace spray fragrance and eau de parfum.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I never heard any claims made by the vendor about Philosopy being a natural line....ever.   Many skincare lines are not natural but stil make claims about being good for the skin. Are you looking for an organic natural line? There are plenty of them out there if that is what you want.

I'm aware that Philosophy isn't an organic/natural line.  I don't know if @ellaphant does.  Just shot some suggestions her way😊

Trusted Contributor

Purity is one of the WORST products ever. I bought it onceused it a few times then threw it away. The smell reminds me of a wet dog, and it contains TOO many chemicals.

Respected Contributor

To each his, or her, own.
Super Contributor

I want to tell you all I do not use chemical laden products on my skin.  I use Susanne  Sumers Organics and Shea Terra Argan Oil.  For bathing I use Dr. Bronners Soap and SheaMoisture soap.  It truly is important to not use chemical laden products on your skin.  What you put on the skin goes into your bloodstream and that is not good.  Your skin is the largest organ but does not stop ingredients not going into your blood stream. The FDA does not monitor skin care products which is a shame that they do not.  How do you think that the drug companies can give people medication through their skin like Nitroglycerin for the heart and other products for hormone replacement through the skin?? Yeah,  get it?  You really do have to do your homework on things like this.  Yes, I agree with not using Philosophy products because of the chemicals.  CARCINOGENIC properties in these so called anti aging producst!!  I love all of you but please understand what I am saying.  

Esteemed Contributor

There are a lot of products I don't like in philosophys line but none of them have to do with chemicals. Actually most of their bad products are because of known irritating plant extracts. Purity is an example. They have tons of irritating plant extracts that have no known scientific benefits for the skin. 

What do you mean when you say chemicals?

You do realize that a lot of the lines that are touted as all natural have worse formulations that the ones you would consider "chemical", don't you?

I work for dermatologists. I can tell you that since the push for all natural ingredients we have seen a major upswing of patients with dermatitis and other conditions caused by these so called safer, all natural ingredients. There are both bad all natural ingredients and bad chemical or man made ingredients. There are also good in natural ingredients and good chemical or man made ingredients. I have seen products that are formulated with what would be considered 100% chemical ingredients that are much better for the skin that ones that contain only all natural. One detriment to natural ingredients is that there is no governing body that determines the safety of them and the safety of where and how they are processed. 

I don't have a problem at all with good all natural products. The problem is they are are few and far between and difficult to find. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@addtothis wrote:

I want to tell you all I do not use chemical laden products on my skin.  I use Susanne  Sumers Organics and Shea Terra Argan Oil.  For bathing I use Dr. Bronners Soap and SheaMoisture soap.  It truly is important to not use chemical laden products on your skin.  What you put on the skin goes into your bloodstream and that is not good.  Your skin is the largest organ but does not stop ingredients not going into your blood stream. The FDA does not monitor skin care products which is a shame that they do not.  How do you think that the drug companies can give people medication through their skin like Nitroglycerin for the heart and other products for hormone replacement through the skin?? Yeah,  get it?  You really do have to do your homework on things like this.  Yes, I agree with not using Philosophy products because of the chemicals.  CARCINOGENIC properties in these so called anti aging producst!!  I love all of you but please understand what I am saying.  

Which ones? Source please?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

I copied this from Beautipedia Philosophy Purity, click on "expert reviews":

Fragrant oils are abundant in this cleanser, and all of them contain volatile components that are irritating to skin. Philosophy also included black pepper extract, just in case the fragrant oils weren’t irritating enough. Those of you who use this cleanser may not see the irritation it causes because most of the irritation is taking place under the skin, where collagen is being damaged and free-radical damage is being generated, but it is happening nonetheless.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

There are a lot of products I don't like in philosophys line but none of them have to do with chemicals. Actually most of their bad products are because of known irritating plant extracts. Purity is an example. They have tons of irritating plant extracts that have no known scientific benefits for the skin. 

What do you mean when you say chemicals?

You do realize that a lot of the lines that are touted as all natural have worse formulations that the ones you would consider "chemical", don't you?

I work for dermatologists. I can tell you that since the push for all natural ingredients we have seen a major upswing of patients with dermatitis and other conditions caused by these so called safer, all natural ingredients. There are both bad all natural ingredients and bad chemical or man made ingredients. There are also good in natural ingredients and good chemical or man made ingredients. I have seen products that are formulated with what would be considered 100% chemical ingredients that are much better for the skin that ones that contain only all natural. One detriment to natural ingredients is that there is no governing body that determines the safety of them and the safety of where and how they are processed. 

I don't have a problem at all with good all natural products. The problem is they are are few and far between and difficult to find. 

bravo

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland