Super Contributor

Philosophy- sub standard now, totally way over done, HYPE

I like this brand now and then, but lately it is clear the hard and heavy QVC brainwash is on. I am tired of these mediocre reps shoving this product that is mediocre as well. There is no great science left in this brand and everyone knows it, it's gone. This is beyond me, why these women persist in attempting to almost establish some sort of cult like thing.

Regular Contributor

Re: Philosophy- sub standard now, totally way over done, HYPE

I still like some of their skincare, but find if I want to buy one of the scents I love I need to go to one of the local stores for a lasting scent. The one's from qvc just don't seem to hold up anymore. How you look at Philosophy is what I think of when Dr. P is being demonstrated, good thing there are so many different skincare brands to choose from.

for beauty products - I am 54, blue eye's, very fair. Skin is normal, but prone to eczema patches.
Frequent Contributor

I have to admit I love some of their products and love the scent of Pure Grace, however, for the demonstrations I cringe everytime they have the big bowl of water and just keep pouring more product in to show how much it lathers...what is the point? Its just someone standing there making bubbles, any 99 cent product from Walgreens does the same thing.

Super Contributor

On 1/5/2014 sullw said:

I have to admit I love some of their products and love the scent of Pure Grace, however, for the demonstrations I cringe everytime they have the big bowl of water and just keep pouring more product in to show how much it lathers...what is the point? Its just someone standing there making bubbles, any 99 cent product from Walgreens does the same thing.

LOL they pour a lot of gel into the water and look at the camera like they hope no one notices. I like their gels and lotions but I only use a few of their other products as I think they are way over priced.
Super Contributor

On 1/5/2014 14Victoria said:
On 1/5/2014 sullw said:

LOL they pour a lot of gel into the water and look at the camera like they hope no one notices. I like their gels and lotions but I only use a few of their other products as I think they are way over priced.

LOL they do pour so much shower gel on the pouf and then expect us to be surprised at how many bubbles were made. I do like their shower gels but they are so expensive. I still like some Philosophy, but everything is so overpriced, and I agree they are over hyped. Everything QVC sells, they sell as miracle products, I try not to fall into the hype too often, but when I do I know I can just return it when it doesn't perform!

Trusted Contributor

The same ingredients in their wash is seen in cheap body washes from Walmart and other stores...I don't want to put that on my skin daily when I shower, it's irritating to my skin too as many are that have artificial things in it. Agree, there's a lot of hype on Q with this line.

I think it can be fun to buy Philosophy items perhaps to give as gifts during Xmas and all with of the unique scents names and sets.

I enjoy Amazing Grace fragrance spray and body lotion/butter too but not daily, I'm into using the all natural brands from Whole foods regularly since it's better for my skin, just using AG lotions now and then to smell nice - it makes me smell clean..it's a treat!.

One thing about the AG spray is that it gets old soon... stale.

I stick to buying roller-ball in this scent now and small mini bottles as well..less chance of spoilage. I think they make their scents very cheap but do like the scent anyway.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Super Contributor

I agree about the body wash ingredients, I wish they were natural and good for you.

I love Amazing Grace, but I have noticed it smelling different in it's different forms. I personally prefer the spray over the roller ball.

Trusted Contributor

I do purchase and enjoy some Philosophy products, but NONE of them have been life-changing for me. I do think it's just a gimmick. It may work for some, but not for me. I buy a scented product because it smells good on me; not because it changes my outlook on life.

However, I certainly don't doubt those who feel that products such as Amazing Grace lifts their spirits. I guess it's possible, but it just doesn't work for me.

Regular Contributor

If you Google Philosophy ingredients, there is an alphabetized posting of what they use...I don't quite understand why many think they use substandard ingredients.

The Philosophy "hype" is no different from the Q's "quality, value, etc." and any that all advertisers use.

I have used various Philosophy products and scents for years, and for me, there is little change. I still get compliments on the scents...skin care...well, although I try, nature is nature...and even though I am somewhat a skin care junkie...their products are no worse than other lines out there.

Not sure why this brand generates so much controversy....they clearly do not advertise as an "organic" line...and many who rail against the company love the Bath and Body Works line or drugstore lines....are any of those any better with ingredients.

I use only a little of the body soap...and it lasts and lasts...and others notice the scent. So I guess I am saying that basically I really like Philosophy products...and don't understand why some feel as if the company has done something wrong?

Super Contributor

On 1/5/2014 ginabfly said:
On 1/5/2014 14Victoria said:
On 1/5/2014 sullw said:

LOL they do pour so much shower gel on the pouf and then expect us to be surprised at how many bubbles were made. I do like their shower gels but they are so expensive. I still like some Philosophy, but everything is so overpriced, and I agree they are over hyped. Everything QVC sells, they sell as miracle products, I try not to fall into the hype too often, but when I do I know I can just return it when it doesn't perform!

It's the net pouf that makes the hyper bubbles, not the soap. Dollar store soap will make the same hyper bubbles with one of the net poufs.