Honored Contributor

Philosophy shower gels- not many choices

I was looking for a few new shower gels yesterday. I'm very fragrance sensitive.

Anyway, I looked here and on Philsophy's site and noticed that there aren't as many choices in scents as there used to be. I ended up ordering from Philosophy directly because they were offering $25 off a $60 purchase and free shipping over $50. Can't beat that. 

Does anyone know why they don't offer as many fragrance choices as they used to?  I ended up ordering Lemon Custard because I've used it before and the Margarita choice and another one that I can't remember right now. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Philosophy shower gels- not many choices

@gidgetgh. I found the Philosophy gels fragrances weren't lasting anyway & sometimes interfered w/ my other scents. I've been using Purity for the Body. Love it.

Honored Contributor

I've pretty much given up on yhe Philosophy gels, just not much scent. I now use Crabtree and Evelyn, especially  Somerset Meadow. 🌺🌷🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

This is just a speculation, but perhaps cutting back on so many fragrances of bath & shower gels is a corporate cost savings measure.  Afterall, they do have to pay chemists to come up with these scents, and then market them.  It's possible that after a few years of ownership, Coty has enough data to conclude that the Grace family, and a handful of additional ones, is the most profitable direction for the brand.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh I have the Lemon Custard body lotion and it is heavenly.  It smells so fresh with a hint of citrus once it settles.  I bet the body wash is very nice too.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh

I so agree.  What I really miss are the fall and holiday scents they used to have like Pumpkin Pie, Spiced Apple, Hot Buttered Rum, Eggnog, etc.  Rootbeer was another favorite from many years ago.  The older scents were also much stronger.  Like everything else, they are lowering the quality while upping the prices.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh, I noticed this as well with other retailers around the holidays.  There weren't many gift sets of the holiday scents. 

I also noticed the last time I was in Sephora, the Philosophy section wasn't nearly as large as it had been in the past and there was a very small selection of the scented shower gels.  The biggest inventory of scents they had were the standard fragrances.