Regular Contributor

Has anyone tried Sea of Love by Philosophy? Is it a clean beachy scent?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Philosophy's Sea of Love

@SuzieQue wrote:

Has anyone tried Sea of Love by Philosophy? Is it a clean beachy scent?

Don't know but sounds like it might be. I liked that movie : )

Trusted Contributor

@SuzieQue I've smelled it and it didn't smell beachy to me. It was a bit on the perfumy side. It's not citrusy or clean. I didn't care for it at all. If you have an Ulta or Nordstom nearby you might want to try it. Everone's nose is different and you may like it. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I love it, very refreshing!!!

Trusted Contributor

I have to agree with @nrm on this one. I am a big Philosophy fragrance fan, but not this one. I ordered the Sea of Love set last year and immediately sent it back. To me, it was a very heavy, perfumey floral fragrance. Nothing about it said summer to me. It reminded me of Baby Grace, another fragrance I sent back for the same reason. Both of those fragrances were also asthma and headache triggers for me. That being said, everyone has a different perception of fragrance and both Sea of Love and Baby Grace have their fans. I'm just not one of them. 

As far as a clean, beachy scent, for me, Pure Grace Summer most fits that description. To me, it is very similar to Sunshine Grace, but with a clean, water note added. If they had offered that in the supersize three piece set this year, I would definitely have added PGS to my fragrance collection. Maybe next year. 

Regular Contributor

I ordered the Sea of Love set, not because of the scent.  I LOVE the ocean, and I ADORE the scene on those bottles!!  I agree that "Sea of Love" is a great movie.

Respected Contributor

I have a bottle of Amazing Grace (my usual) sitting next to a bottle of Sea of Love.  The Sea of Love is almost completely full and I bought it last year when it first came out.  When first sprayed, it starts out wth a lovely beachy scent but quickly turns stronger, more perfumey than the average philosophy fragrance.  I use it sparingly if I have time to spray it on and wait for a couple of hours to let the scent soften.  I also mix it with AG.

If you are looking for a beach scent, I don't think you can beat Bobbi Brown 'Beach'.  Sephora sells it as a roll on for around $20 or $25.  Much better cost of entry than springing for the full bottle at Nordstrom.

Frequent Contributor

I just received it and while I like the scent, it reminds me very much of my husband's Aqua Eternity......  I like the scent on him, not sure about this for me. Love Pure Grace Summer.

New Contributor

I love Sea of Love and very sad that Philosophy seems to have taken it out of their line up and as settled on Loveswept, which to me is way too strong.  I have a very interesting story for Philosophy about Sea of Love....my husband works at Norstrom, in mens furnishings, which includes fragrance for men.  When he leaves for work he never wears mens cologne but always puts on the Philosophy body lotion I have out on his hands....which is usually Amazing Grace but for a long while now has been Sea of Love.  He says that there isn't a day that goes by that more than one person asked what he has on, tells him how great he smells and wants to buy it.  Philosophy might me missing the boat....

Honored Contributor

Can anyone tell me what the staying power is on this scent?  Does it seem to last?