Frequent Contributor

Philosophy is getting EXPENSIVE.

I think Philosophy has been steadily increasing their prices, especially on new items. Back in the old days, Philosophy's prices were comparable to Clinique--definitely "prestige" prices, but still a lot lower than many others in the department store. These days, Philosophy is seeming more like YSL in terms of cost. For example:

Hope in a Tinted Moisturizer is $39 for 1.7 ounces. (Dior's tinted moisturizer is only $1 more for the same size.)

Divine Cream-to-Satin Foundation is $44 for .5 ounce. (Givenchy's highly-rated Photo Perfexion Fluid Foundation is $47 for .8 ounce.)

Hope in a Jar for Body is $25 for 7.8 ounces. (Fresh's Seaberry Restorative Body Cream is $28.50 for 8.12 ounces.).

Kiss me Tonight is $20 for 0.3 ounces. (Dior Creme de Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm is $26.50 for .25 ounces.)

The Miracle Worker Dark Spot Corrector is $62 for 1 ounce. The Miracle Worker SPF lotion is $57 for 1.7 ounces. The Miracle Worker eye cream is $60 for 0.45 ounce. Miracle Worker moisturizer is $57 for 2 ounces. The Miracle Worker retinoid pads are $72 for 60 pads. (Compare: Perricone's eye serum is $55 for .5 ounce. Givenchy's Hydra Sparkling Velvet Luminescence Moisturizing Cream is $54 for 1.7 ounces. Yves Saint Laurent's Lisse Expert Intensive Anti-Wrinkle Creme is $58.50 for 1 ounce. Chanel's SPF 50 Essentiel Multi-Protection lotion is $52 for 1 ounce.)

...They do it with the new products because they can get away with that, and people supposedly won't notice that the whole brand is getting more expensive.

But I notice. And I don't like it. And I think Philosophy is being greedy.

I used to love Philosophy for having simple, high-quality, multitasking products that were beautifully presented and relatively low-priced. I never felt "guilty" about buying a Philosophy product. But now, you buy a Philosophy product and you might as well be buying Dior or Sisley. The price is just as extravagant, no joke. Is the quality worth it? You decide...I personally don't think so.

Contributor

Re: Philosophy is getting EXPENSIVE.

i'm really upset with philosophy!they are way too high...

Super Contributor

They are getting expensive and still test on animals.

Honored Contributor

Philosophy shower gels are loaded with detergents that dry out your skin.  You would think in this day and age they would get rid of all the sulfates, etc.  You can purchase so many different shower gels for under $10 without sulfates and some are organic.  I stopped buying their shower gels the cute names don't make up for their formula. The problem with their makeup is they end up discontinuing most of it and start all over with new products.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Mona Dahl wrote:

I think Philosophy has been steadily increasing their prices, especially on new items. Back in the old days, Philosophy's prices were comparable to Clinique--definitely "prestige" prices, but still a lot lower than many others in the department store. These days, Philosophy is seeming more like YSL in terms of cost. For example:

Hope in a Tinted Moisturizer is $39 for 1.7 ounces. (Dior's tinted moisturizer is only $1 more for the same size.)

Divine Cream-to-Satin Foundation is $44 for .5 ounce. (Givenchy's highly-rated Photo Perfexion Fluid Foundation is $47 for .8 ounce.)

Hope in a Jar for Body is $25 for 7.8 ounces. (Fresh's Seaberry Restorative Body Cream is $28.50 for 8.12 ounces.).

Kiss me Tonight is $20 for 0.3 ounces. (Dior Creme de Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm is $26.50 for .25 ounces.)

The Miracle Worker Dark Spot Corrector is $62 for 1 ounce. The Miracle Worker SPF lotion is $57 for 1.7 ounces. The Miracle Worker eye cream is $60 for 0.45 ounce. Miracle Worker moisturizer is $57 for 2 ounces. The Miracle Worker retinoid pads are $72 for 60 pads. (Compare: Perricone's eye serum is $55 for .5 ounce. Givenchy's Hydra Sparkling Velvet Luminescence Moisturizing Cream is $54 for 1.7 ounces. Yves Saint Laurent's Lisse Expert Intensive Anti-Wrinkle Creme is $58.50 for 1 ounce. Chanel's SPF 50 Essentiel Multi-Protection lotion is $52 for 1 ounce.)

...They do it with the new products because they can get away with that, and people supposedly won't notice that the whole brand is getting more expensive.

But I notice. And I don't like it. And I think Philosophy is being greedy.

I used to love Philosophy for having simple, high-quality, multitasking products that were beautifully presented and relatively low-priced. I never felt "guilty" about buying a Philosophy product. But now, you buy a Philosophy product and you might as well be buying Dior or Sisley. The price is just as extravagant, no joke. Is the quality worth it? You decide...I personally don't think so.

“Because they can get away with that”?  They aren’t doing anything unethical or illegal, so there is nothing to get away with.  It is a skin care company pricing their products the way they want to, just like any other skin care company.  They will sell at that price to many, many women.  Each of us has to decide for ourselves what is reasonable to spend on a skin care product.  What is reasonable to customer #1, may be totally ludicrous to customer #2.  This is why there are hundreds of skin care brands priced from pennies to bennies.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I think when I first purchased the 16 oz. shower gels they were $15, then $16 and then to $18.    I think their quality has gone down (seems especially on the huge sizes) and I don't buy as often as I once did.  Of course, I still have enough to last for years.

Valued Contributor

The thing I discovered about Hope in a Jar is, when I first used it, I loved the whipped texture. But as I started reaching the middle of the jar, it changed and hardened. I ended up tossing it half way through the container. To me, its not worth any cost if I have to throw it away.

Respected Contributor

I use and love a number of Philosophy. I don't think they are too expensive and have always identified them as a luxury brand.  Dior and Givenchy do not seem to me any more luxurious, they just have more elaborate packaging and advertising.  I tend to buy my Philosophy products from QVC when there is a good deal and/or bundle. So, I rarely pay the going retail price for a given item.

Honored Contributor

I only buy Phil direct from their website and when they have a BOGO sale or a 30 to 40% off sale. 

Respected Contributor

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

The thing I discovered about Hope in a Jar is, when I first used it, I loved the whipped texture. But as I started reaching the middle of the jar, it changed and hardened. I ended up tossing it half way through the container. To me, its not worth any cost if I have to throw it away.

I had that exact same thing happend years ago when I used to use that cream!