Honored Contributor

Re: Philosophy exfoliating cleanser loses its grit....

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Please, can someone tell me what exactly that "grit" is made of? Is it sugar or something like aluminum oxide crystals? thanksWoman Happy

@SilleeMee, you can look up the ingrediants.  If they aren't listed on QVC, check Sephora, Ulta or the Philosophy site.

ETA:

Here are the ingrediants:

Water, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Cocoyl Apple Amino Acids, Diatomaceous Earth, Acrylates/Steareth-20 Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Tocotrienols, Panthenol, Sodium Magnesium Silicate, Tetrasodium Edta, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Honored Contributor

This isn't the first time I've read about this happening.  I imagine that as the bottle sits, the scrubby particles sink to the bottom of the bottle and are dispensed at a higher concentration when the bottle is new.  As time goes by, there are less and less of the scrubbies and you still have cleanser left.  It would be a pain, but I'm guessing a vigorous shaking prior to each use would keep the particles more evenly disbursed.  I doubt many people want to do that, though, especially with the supersized bottles.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Please, can someone tell me what exactly that "grit" is made of? Is it sugar or something like aluminum oxide crystals? thanksWoman Happy

@SilleeMee, you can look up the ingrediants.  If they aren't listed on QVC, check Sephora, Ulta or the Philosophy site.

Thank you @LipstickdivaWoman Happy I will check those other sites. I did not see ingredients listed on q description.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Thank you @LipstickdivaWoman Happy I will check those other sites. I did not see ingredients listed on q description.

@SilleeMee, I edited my response and listed the ingrediants I got from Sephora.  HTH  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

ETA:

Water, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Cocoyl Apple Amino Acids, Diatomaceous Earth, Acrylates/Steareth-20 Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Tocotrienols, Panthenol, Sodium Magnesium Silicate, Tetrasodium Edta, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

@Lipstickdiva,

Oh thank you! I see there are POLYMER things...not good.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

ETA:

@Lipstickdiva,

Oh thank you! I see there are POLYMER things...not good.

@SilleeMee  Methacrylate Crosspolymer isn't the microbeads you're likely thinking of.  From the ingredient list, the diatomaceous earth is the "grit".

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee, it appears to be neither, but I don't know enough about chemistry to say which of the ingredients does make up the scrubby bits. I checked a while back to see if it had polyethylene microbeads and remember being unable to figure it out then, but I didn't spend too much time looking. Here's the listing of ingredients:

aqua/water/eau, sodium cocoyl apple amino acids, solum diatomeae/diatomaceous earth/terre de diatomees, acrylates/steareth-20 methacrylate crosspolymer, glycerin, decyl glucoside, lauryl glucoside, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, borago officinalis seed oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, tocopherol, tocotrienols, oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, panthenol, lithium magnesium sodium silicate, sodium chloride, sodium glycolate, propylene glycol, magnesium chloride, sodium benzoate, magnesium nitrate, tetrasodium edta, sodium hydroxide, citric acid, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone.

Respected Contributor

I get a similar product from ROC that comes in a tube - I love it.  I use it nightly with my Clarisonic.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch,

Thank you for making that clear. I wasn't sure about it. I should have done my homework before I made my negative comment!Woman Happy Thank you again.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for your responses.  Sometimes I feel like a crazy person until I find others think the same thing.  When I get a good bottle that does not separate and I have gotten them, this is my favorite cleanser.  I am always searching for a replacement.  I have been using Purity with a buff puff in the morning to replace it.