Respected Contributor

Philosophy exfoliating cleanser loses its grit....

I love this cleanser when it has the grit that exfoliates.  However, I have bought bottles where the grit dissapears and it is just a cleanser.  I quit buying the big bottle because it is hard to shake it up although I found even with the smaller bottles that does not help.  I finally got a stick and dug the grit from the bottom but it still separated.  This has happened on two bottles 32 and 16 ounce.  I  emailed Philosophy and they told me to send the bottle to them and they would test and if defective they would return my money.  I told them just to forget it and I would find something from another company.  Never heard back.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Philosophy exfoliating cleanser loses its grit....

This happened to me also!! I wondered what had happened  to it if is was getting old but its not old. I glad you posted this as now I know I am  not the only one. After that I just stopped buying there products. I have also read on other posts that the smell isn't the same on some other products. To expensive to get less than quality products.

Honored Contributor

Please, can someone tell me what exactly that "grit" is made of? Is it sugar or something like aluminum oxide crystals? thanksWoman Happy

Respected Contributor

I stopped buying years ago after I noticed the same problem.  I also had the big bottles turn colors like it was molding or going rancid--GROSS.

When I called them they acted like I was some kind of nut and gave me the option of sending the bottle back to them at my cost and then they would determine if I deserved a refund. 

I told her I would prefer not to spend any more $$ on Philosphy and her it would just be a better use of my money to find another brand that cared.  Since then I have NEVER bought another item.  Problem solved.

Trusted Contributor

I had to stop using this product a couple of years ago due to my face breaking out.  I had used this for a long time and all of a sudden I started having breakouts.  I realize that it could be "me", but I have noticed such a change in their fragrances over the years by losing their staying power, that I no longer have confidence in this brand.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Trusted Contributor

I've had the 32 oz cleanser in my shower for about 6 months and haven't had any of the exfoliator sink to the bottom or dissappear.  I love using this in the morning.

Valued Contributor

Same here. I have never had a problem. I wouldn't be without it. 

Honored Contributor

I have had one of those 32 oz. bottles far longer than I think I probably should -  can't tell you for sure, but I know I never carry the large Philosophy bottles or WEN bottles either from place to place.  That means that for about 6 months at a clip, I'm not using them, and they just seem to last forever in my snowbird life.

Anyway, I've never had problems in spite of the excess time.  I did stop ordering the MSW because I ordered a huge Purity cache (and ADed it )-  just decided to try other exfoliation while I used that Purity.  I expect I'll return to the MSW though just like I returned to Purity after trying several different drugstore brands.

Esteemed Contributor

I have used Micro-Delivery Wash for many years and never experienced this problem of the exfoliant settling, or a bottle not containing enough exfoliant, until a year ago.  The last 32oz bottle I bought was a disappointment.  Despite shaking before each use very little exfoliant would come out of the bottle.  OK, I thought perhaps Coty was cutting corners on the super size, so I went to Ulta and bought a small bottle.  The smaller bottle was a little better, but nothing like the Micro-Delivery Wash I had come to love and use daily.  

I've been trying to fall for something else which I can use daily to replace Micro-Delivery Wash.  So far, Tatcha's Rice Enzyme Powder and Josie Maran's Exfoliating Cleansing Powder have impressed me, but I don't like either as well as Micro-Delivery Wash.    

Contributor

Hi I also noticed the same thing.  I tried Dr. Denese's Exfoliation Duo item number A27808 and I love how it works, plus the smell is really nice.  And there is some grit to it but it isn't harse at all and you skin feels so smooth after using it.