Respected Contributor

Re: Philosophy Shower Gel...hand soap?

According to University of Kentucky Department of Chemistry, "Common household items, such as dish soap and body wash, will also work because they contain “soap molecules,” which trap dirt, oil and microbes — or germs — by grouping together. When you run water over the clusters of molecules with the germs trapped inside, it washes them away."

So basically, if you wash with any kind of soap item (hand soap, body wash, or dish soap), it is effective in washing away the germs.

Honored Contributor

I've been ordering my favorite Bath and Body Works foaming soaps from eBay. Two scents that aren't carried in the stores right now. 

I've been paying good prices for them. Not inflated prices. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarnieRez3  I have been using Philosophy shower gels as hand soap for years, they work just fine. I have Unconditional Love at my kitchen sink now. I have a Sephora Shower gel in my foaming hand soap container in the bathroom. If you are transferring to your own dispenser and they are thick just thin out with a little water. Just be careful about any gel with any scrubbies into it, like Philosophy Olive Oil scrub as it would probably clog the pump in the dispenser. I would stick to the 3 n 1. I have never had a problem! Kudos to your essential workers have a good weekend!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Trusted Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the posters who took the time to answer my question.
I'm going to order the two-pack of jumbo shower gels now...and I am so happy to hear they will work as hand soap. I like the idea of just leaving the pumps on them and letting my family use them that way.

Northern California first ran out of TP, then paper towels, then automatic dishwashing powder and gel, then regular dishwashing liquid like Dawn and Palmolive...and now we can't get liquid hand soap. (I have no complaints as we are fortunate to be alive and have food at a time when so many people are suffering and sick and in need.)

My daughter and I now make our own automatic dishwashing soap for the machine with baking soda, salt and a few drops of dishwashing liquid...she found the recipe online.

Sending huge hugs and thanks to all of you! (Socially-distant hugs, of course! 💜💜💜)
Trusted Contributor

@MarnieRez3 You are so welcome! I hope you enjoy your purchase, what scent did you end up getting? 

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Soap is soap.  I got a couple h-u-g-e bottles of Suave body wash for 99-cents each and used them to refill my liquid soap dispensers.   There's absolutely no liquid soap to be found at any grocery or drug store here.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@tototwo

Yes, same here. I guess it's a good thing, because it means people are washing their hands like they are supposed to be doing!

@kathie66

We went with lemon drop... Thanks to everyone here for great advice! 💙
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach 

ITA AND hard to pump.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got out some bottles of the Philosophy shower gels and filled some of my empty handsoap bottles and they work just fine. I have used some body wash I got for a gift and wasn't really liking the scent very much, so it has become handsoap as well. You can buy very inexpensive dishwashing liquid at the Dollar Tree if cost is an issue....some of it is tough on the hands so just use hand cream afterwards. Philosophy lathers well and smells good....but you can use shampoo, shower wash, or dish soap also.  We have three bathrooms and a kitchen sink so I try to keep four bottles full of something to wash with. I refill them often.