Contributor

Philosophy Purity and parabens

I looked up parabens and was shocked at what it said...nothing good for your skin, by the way! As a matter of fact, very harmful for the skin!..If you look it up, and you should, you will not be happy. I was furious to find that "purity" had it included in the ingredients and then the big deal the other day was that NOW it doesn't. What would possess a skin care company to even think about putting this in their product in the first place?! I went into my cabinet and dumped out ALL and Any of my Purity supply, and am not replacing it with the "new and improved" version. I'm done on principle alone! Now I no longer trust Philosophy....you give me reason to distrust and I will use that reason.

Honored Contributor

Re: Philosophy Purity and parabens

You dumped it all? You couldn't find a homeless person or someone else who would have gladly taken it? Perhaps a refuge home for battered women?

@ChanelNanny wrote:

I looked up parabens and was shocked at what it said...nothing good for your skin, by the way! As a matter of fact, very harmful for the skin!..If you look it up, and you should, you will not be happy. I was furious to find that "purity" had it included in the ingredients and then the big deal the other day was that NOW it doesn't. What would possess a skin care company to even think about putting this in their product in the first place?! I went into my cabinet and dumped out ALL and Any of my Purity supply, and am not replacing it with the "new and improved" version. I'm done on principle alone! Now I no longer trust Philosophy....you give me reason to distrust and I will use that reason.

Frequent Contributor

I was shocked and furious when I found out.   I bet the drugstore makeup and skincare have them to make them look like they are getting more for their money.   I had complete trust in Philosophy.  I know the Brand Ambasaters (sp) had to be so embarrsed.    If  it was me I would not say anything unless someone asked.   Just keep on selling it without the Parabens in it.   They will probably lose a lot of customers.

Trusted Contributor

Review from Beautypedia:

This cleanser is overloaded with irritating ingredients. The fact that it is listed as “Best of Sephora” merely means that lots of Sephora customers are using a cleanser that is hurting their skin. Fragrant oils are abundant in this cleanser, and all of them contain volatile components that are irritating to skin. Philosophy also included black pepper extract, just in case the fragrant oils weren’t irritating enough. Those of you who use this cleanser may not see the irritation it causes because most of the irritation is taking place under the skin, where collagen is being damaged and free-radical damage is being generated, but it is happening nonetheless. For the health of your skin and your beauty budget, please consider switching to a truly gentle water-soluble cleanser.

Contributor

that was your takeaway from this! give it to homeless shelter or a battered women's shelter...for what, so they too can use a product with a cancer causing ingredient in it!...why would I do that?!...I suggest you look up parabens like I suggested in my original posting....especially before you go passing judgement on others......

Esteemed Contributor

The takeaway here is to read ingredients before using a product.  Saves a lot of handwringing.

Regular Contributor

Just think about all the other products you're still using that have parabens and other harmful ingredients...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChanelNanny    When Philosophy first came on the scene in stores, they had an excellent marketing tool.  The recipes on the bottles of their products and interesting scents.  What amazes me is their body washes have sulfates and they have not taken them out.  It dries your skin.  So it seems a skincare co. is breaking all the rules.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Parabens are preservatives.  Your products have to have some sort of preservative, so if not parabens then look at what they are using.  I have no concerns about parabens.  There is no proof that it causes cancer. Much of the research is from force-feeding rats which isn't what we are doing with our skin and hair care products.  Other research is based on much higher levels than the 1% used in our cosmetic products

You fear Parabens, but I bet you still use products with PEG's.  FYI so you know why they are in your products, PEG's are added to silicones to make them water soluble.  

Honored Contributor

No doubt Philosophy has substituted Phenoxethanol as most companies have. An all natuiral preservative a few companies use is Japanese Honeysuckle.