Regular Contributor

Both my daughter and I have been using their shampoo/shower gel/bubble bath for many years but recently we both have been experiencing extremely itchy skin and scalp. She’s 45 and I’m 66. We both switched to another product and the itching has gone away. Does anyone know if Philosophy changed their formula or has anyone else had this problem? Neither of us has sensitive skin or skin issues and the change in seasons never affected us either.

Trusted Contributor

Philosophy was bought out by Coty's in 2010.  They changed the some of the formulas then.  Amazing Grace is so watered down I can hardly smell it.  Possibly the shower gel formula was  also changed.

Honored Contributor

I stopped using Philisophy many years ago. The shower gels are full of skin drying ingredients. Smart move to switch to something else. 

Honored Contributor

God only knows what Coty (the owner) is doing.  They probably changed ingredients to save money.  I stopped using their body wash because it was drying my skin.  Philosophy had a great gimmick when they first were introduced with their recipes, packaging, clever scents but it has gone downhill for quite a few years now.  I don't think their skincare performs either.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't bought this line in years.  They have a good selling strategy but I am no longer pulled in by it.  I feel it's not what it was back in the day and my skin doesn't benefit from it at all.  Going all Beekman goat milk now, my skin is so much happier!

Honored Contributor

Philosophy is full of sulfates and artificial dyes. 

Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your responses. I am relieved it’s not just our imagination. We actually switched to Neutrogena Rainbath and T Gel Shampoo. The smell leaves much to be desired but it works! 

Trusted Contributor

Beekman 1802 all of their soaps are wonderful!  I have super sensitive skin to....no issues what so ever Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I suddenly developed sensitive skin at about the age of 59 or so. Saw a dermatologist who reccomended using a shampoo and conditioner called Free and Clear and told me to stay away from scented products. She also recommended using Cetaphil in the tub for moisturiing, actually several brands but I use the Cetaphil. I also learned about skin damaging ingredients from Paula Begoun's (Paula's Choice) books and articles. (20 bestselling books on beauty, regular talk show appearances on CNNOprahThe Today Show20/20 DatelineThe View, and Dr. Oz, the creation of Beautypedia, her research based skincare and makeup review site, plus thousands of consumer requests eventually lead Paula to start her own line of groundbreaking skin care products in 1995: Paula's Choice Skincare.)

Respected Contributor

I have said for years that the line has changed!

There are too many GREAT products out there now that can fill Philosopy's niche without harming your skin. Their cleanser is really hard on skin and the fragrances don't last like they used to. The vendor gets on the air with too much hyperbole for what you get.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield