Regular Contributor

Please do not buy his products. His products are all tested on animals.

There are many other products that you can buy that are not

tested on animals.

There is a list out that lists products that do test on animals and 

don't.

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

@Aleta wrote:

tested on animals.

don't.

Thank you.

Aleta:  I used to buy his products years ago until I found out he did test on animals.  I threw everything in the trash and that was the end of PTR for me.

Valued Contributor

Re: Peter thomas roth

[ Edited ]

@Aleta

Thanks for posting!!

There are so many great alternative options out there so it's good to know this!!

I too love animals!  HeartHeartHeart

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 4.48.15 PM.png

Honored Contributor

@loveour4leggedfriends wrote:

@Aleta wrote:

tested on animals.

don't.

Thank you.

Aleta:  I used to buy his products years ago until I found out he did test on animals.  I threw everything in the trash and that was the end of PTR for me.

He actually did used to be cruelty free years ago- had the cruelty free logo and everything. All that changed when he decided to sell to China. There is an alternative way to show safety of your products to the Chinese govt. but it is more expensive, sadly, so he chose the cheaper route and tests again. I've never used his products since. If I could find that old email I have I could tell you what year it was but can't find it right now. Seems like it was 3 or 4 years ago now?

Honored Contributor

THIS is their actual policy......

Do you test on animals?

Peter Thomas Roth does not test any of our formulas or raw materials on animals but we believe in total transparency and will not claim that for the following reasons.

We cannot be certain that a raw material supplier has not now or at some time in the past tested an ingredient on animals.  We do not knowingly purchase ingredients that have been tested on animals and inquire before purchasing ingredients, but some staple ingredients that have been used in products for years may have been tested on animals in the past.

We do sell our products in China and some other countries that still do test on animals; though it is our understanding that China is moving towards stopping this practice. We are not alone in selling to China; nearly every major cosmetic company sells there.  Also to be noted, many major beauty retailers conduct business there including QVC and Sephora. 

Again, you must feel comfortable in your choices but we hope you will consider all information in doing so.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Peter thomas roth

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

THIS is their actual policy......

Do you test on animals?

Peter Thomas Roth does not test any of our formulas or raw materials on animals but we believe in total transparency and will not claim that for the following reasons.

We cannot be certain that a raw material supplier has not now or at some time in the past tested an ingredient on animals.  We do not knowingly purchase ingredients that have been tested on animals and inquire before purchasing ingredients, but some staple ingredients that have been used in products for years may have been tested on animals in the past.

We do sell our products in China and some other countries that still do test on animals; though it is our understanding that China is moving towards stopping this practice. We are not alone in selling to China; nearly every major cosmetic company sells there.  Also to be noted, many major beauty retailers conduct business there including QVC and Sephora. 

Again, you must feel comfortable in your choices but we hope you will consider all information in doing so.

Yep, so they test on animals "where required" but it is not required to test on animals in China but he chose the cheaper way, which IS animal Testing. I like how he tries to justify his animal testing by trying to call out other companies that do it too- childish, imo.

They took the cruelty free logo off awhile ago and when I emailed them why, they said because they test again in order to sell in China. I have the proof of it and if you search on the internet, you can find the same information. 

So I don't really know your point of the post unless you just want to reinforce the original Poster's point. 

Found one of the older posts with a copy of an email they got back from PTR's CS:

"Sorry for the delay in responding.

We do not test on animals but the Chinese government does. This came to light long after our products were registered to sell there. It was recently announced that as of June this year, China will stop testing on animals.

Our newest packaging no longer says Animal Cruelty Free.

LOL I like how they say "but the chinese government does". This is not exactly true and it makes it sound like the company doesn't but China does the testing. No, the company tests and has to show the results. It is a little deceptive imo. Again, not taking responsibility for their actions- everyone else's fault but theirs. This was back in 2014 or so.