Esteemed Contributor

Ugh, if there's one thing I hate about menopause besides hot flashes, it's pesky chin hairs that sprout up seemingly overnight.

So plucking them out as soon as I can feel them is what I try to do. I use a 10X standing magnifying mirror. For lighting I use an overhead lamp and my iphone flashlight laid on the table to uplight the chin area. This is worth the trouble as some hairs may be light or white so they are hard to see easily even though you can feel them. I also wear reading glasses so I make sure I am wearing them when I do this beauty chore.

Since I'm right handed, I use two fingers on my left hand to hold the skin that has the hair taught between my fingers as that makes the pesky hair stand up from the skin better so it's easier to pluck it out. I use a good quality Revlon pair of tweezers to grab that hair. Depending on how strong that hair is I will pull with the direction of the hair growth as that can make it easier for you to pull the hair out.

Honored Contributor

If I find a hair where it shouldn't be, I shave it off.

Valued Contributor

I can so relate.  I am ****** when it comes to chin hairs.  I cannot help scruitinizing others.  I have been following your same routine, but I was wondering if I need to get a tweezing tool like the epilating tools.

New Contributor

I use the epilator that is sold on QVC

Honored Contributor

I used to have a dark mustache when I was younger.Woman Tongue You bet I tried everything to keep it a secret. Finally went and had it permanently lasered away after years of shaving, plucking  and depilatory creams...uuuggg.

Super Contributor

Join the group.   I use the epilator sold on QVC which I love  BUT I have one chin hair that actually grows overnight.   I feel it and pluck it with tweezers every morning.  It is just this one but it must be on steriods!!!!

Regular Contributor

Am so glad I am not alone!  Have had this issue for years even before menopause.  I have been contending with hair above the lip too.  I use avon's sss cream hair remover for sensitive skin there and it works well.  The chin area is different.  How it appears seemingly overnight I don't understand.  Some black hairs are coarse as are some of the white and stick out, others are fuzzy.  I tweeze also but within a few days they're back.  As I get older I get more.  Some of my friends have the same problem and a couple have no facial hair at all.

Regular Contributor

I'm so glad I did permanent laser hair removal on those pesky hairs on my face some years ago (and I had a LOT of them).  I used to (and HAD to) pluck EVERY dang day.  But now I don't have to anymore, and I truly never thought I would have such freedom like this and that I wasn't a slave to plucking anymore.  I knew then that the cost for the laser hair removal will pay for itself in the long run.  

But here's what made me decide on doing it....  

Sure you can pluck with tweezers, shave, or epilate it, whatever.  But think about this... there's going to come a day... you reaching a certain age.... when you won't have that strength and dexterity in your arms and/or hands and/or fingers to pluck anymore.  Think I'm joking?

For me, all it took was having this image in my head of me sitting in a rocking chair in a nursing home with these big 'ol hairs hanging out of my upper lip and chin, and my sister was sitting across from me also in a rocking chair, and we are rocking back and forth trying to pluck each others facial hairs but having a real hard time at it!!

LOL, I am purposely trying to be funny with that illustration above there.  But admit it, it's something you probably never thought that far ahead about.  It CAN happen where you come to a certain age and you cannot pluck your own hairs anymore because your arms or hands don't work like they used to.  Maybe some of you won't give a darn by then, but some of you might still care about appearances, so this is just food for thought!    

Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Pesky chin hairs

[ Edited ]

@Mesmerized169,

Woman LOLROFL!!Woman LOL...too funny!

But it's true!

Honored Contributor

@Mesmerized169 wrote:

I'm so glad I did permanent laser hair removal on those pesky hairs on my face some years ago (and I had a LOT of them).  I used to (and HAD to) pluck EVERY dang day.  But now I don't have to anymore, and I truly never thought I would have such freedom like this and that I wasn't a slave to plucking anymore.  I knew then that the cost for the laser hair removal will pay for itself in the long run.  

But here's what made me decide on doing it....  

Sure you can pluck with tweezers, shave, or epilate it, whatever.  But think about this... there's going to come a day... you reaching a certain age.... when you won't have that strength and dexterity in your arms and/or hands and/or fingers to pluck anymore.  Think I'm joking?

For me, all it took was having this image in my head of me sitting in a rocking chair in a nursing home with these big 'ol hairs hanging out of my upper lip and chin, and my sister was sitting across from me also in a rocking chair, and we are rocking back and forth trying to pluck each others facial hairs but having a real hard time at it!!

LOL, I am purposely trying to be funny with that illustration above there.  But admit it, it's something you probably never thought that far ahead about.  It CAN happen where you come to a certain age and you cannot pluck your own hairs anymore because your arms or hands don't work like they used to.  Maybe some of you won't give a darn by then, but some of you might still care about appearances, so this is just food for thought!    

Smiley Wink

Oh, believe me I do know what you mean. My  Dad was in a nursing home for almost 10 years and my Mom a year. There were quite a few ladies that could have used a shave.