Super Contributor

Has anyone tried both? I am thinking about trying one and see there is a Calista TSV in October and wondering if I should wait for that. I actually have curly hair but it gets a bit frizzy and out of control so I was hoping to curl some of the unruly curls to make it a bit more manageable. Not sure if the Perfector would work for this as it seems to be more for volume. Also, I am worried that my hair might get stuck in the brush but I do like that it will come with a 1/2 barrel, which the Beachwaver does not. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Perfector versus Beachwaver

Have tried neither - but the last time Perfector was one, they said that was the last time it would be on in that configuration -I think maybe she's improving it, so if you choose Perfector, you might wait till new one comes out. 

Valued Contributor

Wait till the NEW PERFECTER comes out ..that's the TSV..it comes with 2 barrel heads..and the ability to add more different brushes to it..I just got mine today..I have the other ones,but this is nicer because I can change the brushes...

Honored Contributor

I HAD both.  I think it depends on how long your hair is and what you want the tool to accomplish.  (smoothing, curling, straightening etc.)

I have below shoulder, long layered, on the thinner side hair.

Here are my thoughts and results...

The Perfector continually got stuck in my hair.  Sometimes badly.  I am usually pretty darn good with hair tools.  I would ONLY recommend it for short hair (IMHO)

It gave me no volume, no lift, no curls or waves.  What little wave I was able to get fell out by time I got to work.

It did smooth, but also took away my own volume making my hair kind of slinky and thinner looking.

If I was going for long and straight, it was the wrong tool to use.

I gave it to my sis who has hair exactly like Jill Bauer.  She liked it at first because she could grip it with her hand but then said her hair fell which it never does when she used rods or flat irons.  It lives in her junk drawer.

The beachwaver is fabulous for my hair.  I get tight spiral curls or loose beachy waves depending on how much hair I wind.

The curls last for DAYS.  I clip my hair up at night and they last till I wash them out.

I only need to use it 2-3 days at most.  (I use WEN so I don't wash my hair as often anymore)

I don't know what the barrel is made of but it is fantastic!  I NEVER have split ends anymore!  I literally use to spend hours snipping away!  Not any more!

It seems like a coated teflon or something!  It is definitely NOT hot metal or steel going directly on to your hair.

My ONLY complaint is that she hasn't come out with a larger barrel.  I would LOVE a larger barrel to get even looser waves.

They just debuted a new version with some design changes.  It does, however, only come with one barrel size.  I'D GIVE ANYTHING FOR A SECOND BARREL CHOICE!

The new Perfector will come with two.

Best of luck to you on your decision!

Frequent Contributor

I've used both.  You need long hair for the beachwaver.  It has a large barrel.  I don't know how it would work on curly hair, but my Straight hair looked awful using it.The perfector is probably better for above shoulder length hair.  The models and vendor all have curly, frizzy hair.  It is great for sealing down the cuticle and making your hair shiny, gives straight hair slight curl.  It actually makes my fine, straight hair feel and look in better condition   If I want curl or beachy waves I use my T3 flat iron and they stay for at least a day.