Esteemed Contributor

Re: People magazine article when Adrien Arpel was 38

@Shanus wrote:

@Trix wrote:

@Wsmom  I guess the results at the former Adrien Arpel in-store mini spas depended on the skill of the esthetician.  There was one Adrien Arpel rep at the old Marshall Field's in Chicago who was terrific.  

Just the other day I was having a discussion with a young woman who had no idea of Adrien's history in the cosmetic industry and was telling her about Adrien's counter and mini spas in high-end department stores.   

@Trix   I'm not sure the facials were given by "trained estheticians". Many women and men at cosmetic counters, even now, are trained to do a facial with a line. If you stop by the Kiehl's counter in any store, they will offer a complimentary facial by appt. (or not if they aren't busy). I'm sure they are sales associates, not licensed. I asked.

Shanus, I cannot speak for all of Adrien's former department store mini spas, but the person I dealt with at Marshall Field in the 1970s and 80s, and later at Bloomingdale's (before Adrien discontinued selling at department stores after contracting with HSN in the 1990s) was a licensed esthetician.  To be honest, I never asked why she had chosen to work in a department store as opposed to a real spa or dermatology practice.  The treatments were done in a room adjacent to the sales counter, but in a private off the sales floor in mini version of a spa treatment room including a sink with running water.  

Yes, I am aware that most major brands train their counter personnel to do makeup applications, and if it's a brand like Kiehl's the department store associates are trained in the basics of skincare treatments which they can do at the counter.  At the Kiehl's stand-alone boutiques the technicians who do the treatments (off the sales floor in a setup that mimics a real spa treatment room) are licensed estheticians.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Trix wrote:

@Wsmom  I guess the results at the former Adrien Arpel in-store mini spas depended on the skill of the esthetician.  There was one Adrien Arpel rep at the old Marshall Field's in Chicago who was terrific.  

Just the other day I was having a discussion with a young woman who had no idea of Adrien's history in the cosmetic industry and was telling her about Adrien's counter and mini spas in high-end department stores.   

@Trix   I'm not sure the facials were given by "trained estheticians". Many women and men at cosmetic counters, even now, are trained to do a facial with a line. If you stop by the Kiehl's counter in any store, they will offer a complimentary facial by appt. (or not if they aren't busy). I'm sure they are sales associates, not licensed. I asked.

@Shanus Adrien Arpel had actual spas with estheticians in Saks Fifth Avenue where she offered her famous mini facials.  See below NY Times article from 1973.  She was still there when I moved to NYC in the 1980s.  I did not have one!  I have never been big on face stuff.  I did buy her products from HSN for a few years when I hit my forties.  Have not watched her for a while, but she was my first "beauty school." I felt she offered a great value for those on a budget.  She offered argan oil before others did.

371C51E4-17D1-4A3C-AA89-97210FD4BB23_4_5005_c.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I love her Meltdowns and addicted to the scents. There are many lines out there with better ingredients but I have not had any adverse reactions using her cleansers.