Valued Contributor

So weird, my nose keeps peeling, no sunburn, what could it be? It peels off then regrows but it isnt coimg back in as skin it  comes back in as this peelable skin. I am worried that maybe we have a mold problem, Ijust dont know, have a derm appt set up for August.

Respected Contributor

My nose had a red mark with flaky skin that when I tried to get off with a scrub would bleed. The flaky skin had been there for a bit but when it bled I knew it had to be checked out. Turned out to be basal cell cancer. I am glad you are seeing a derm.

Is flaky what you mean by peeling?

Best of luck.

Valued Contributor

It has been very weird, I went and he said aktinic keratosis, but I dot think so, neither does my other Doc who recommended another doc. I cant believe I would have skin cancer good grief, not a line on my face and have worn sunscreen since I was 17, but it peels off in sheets, started small and is spreading. It grows back and Ican cover it with make up, but then it peels again..UGH. So that sick feeling is setting in that something is wrong. How did you treat yours?? Please share, thanks!

Valued Contributor

Oh gees, I just saw your thread, thank you for responding...see how you are helping others. Are you going to have skin grafts done, do you know yet?

Esteemed Contributor

Blankette,

I have this on my nose whenever I add a retinol product.  I also have it on my chin.  It takes a while for it to stop peeling/flaking even after I stop the retinol.  It is a hassle with makeup.  I have found that if I pat on Josie Maran's light argan oil, it hold down the flakes so that I can use foundation.  I have even gone back and patted it with a bit of the oil on my fingers after applying my foundation.  Have you used a good scrub to exfoliate this area?

I am glad that you are seeing a derm about this.  I am seeing mine in September.  I doubt if this has anything to do with sun exposure.  I have had my share of it and I still go out in the sun (with SPF) at the age of 62. 

Report back after seeing your derm!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Blankette,

I have this on my nose whenever I add a retinol product.  I also have it on my chin.  It takes a while for it to stop peeling/flaking even after I stop the retinol.  It is a hassle with makeup.  I have found that if I pat on Josie Maran's light argan oil, it hold down the flakes so that I can use foundation.  I have even gone back and patted it with a bit of the oil on my fingers after applying my foundation.  Have you used a good scrub to exfoliate this area?

I am glad that you are seeing a derm about this.  I am seeing mine in September.  I doubt if this has anything to do with sun exposure.  I have had my share of it and I still go out in the sun (with SPF) at the age of 62. 

Report back after seeing your derm!

Same here.  My nose peels when I use Retinol or prescription strength Retin A. I only use a tiny bit of the product once a week on my nose; the rest of the week I avoid my nose.  Sometimes I rub a tiny amount of Vaseline on my nose at bedtime to help with the flaking.  Using a good primer and moisturizer on my nose before applying makeup helps too. 

Honored Contributor

@blankette wrote:

It has been very weird, I went and he said aktinic keratosis, but I dot think so, neither does my other Doc who recommended another doc. I cant believe I would have skin cancer good grief, not a line on my face and have worn sunscreen since I was 17, but it peels off in sheets, started small and is spreading. It grows back and Ican cover it with make up, but then it peels again..UGH. So that sick feeling is setting in that something is wrong. How did you treat yours?? Please share, thanks!

Did the derm who said it was an AK freeze it off? The usual protocol is to do that first. If it comes back, maybe once more. After that, it has to be removed and maybe treated with a prescription topical. AKs are precancerous and have the potential for becoming a squamous cell cancer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@blankette wrote:

I too have worn sun screen all of my adult life. The surgeon who removed my skin cancer said the damage was done before I was 20 years old. I am blue eyed and fair skin and never tan but I have had some sun burns in my life.

Respected Contributor

@blankette wrote:

Oh gees, I just saw your thread, thank you for responding...see how you are helping others. Are you going to have skin grafts done, do you know yet?

When I had my basal cell reoved from my nose it was done by a special surgeon (MOHS surgeon) who just does facial skin cancers. He just excised it and stitched it up in his office. Barely a scar.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had an AK removed by freezing about 5 years ago, so you are wise to see a derm.

As to regular flaking of my skin in the T zone, I use a soft sided Tweezerman emery board using a 10X mirror to gently rub the flakes of skin off. My skin does not exfoliate well, my T zone is somewhat oily too.