Trusted Contributor

Peel off latex glue for fingernail art?

I know I can buy this on Amazon, but does anyone know if this available in stores?  Has anyone see it in drugstores, Walmart, etc.?  TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Peel off latex glue for fingernail art?

I see a big rack of nail art at every drug store I shop at. Rite-Aide - Walgreens -- -

Peel and stick is what they look like - I don't use them

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your response, fthunt, but you are referring to something entirely different.  The peel off latex glue I'm referring to is painted on with a nail polish type of brush all around your fingenail.  When you do messy nail art, such as sponging, etc., the glue prevents your fingers from getting polish all over them.  When your polish is dry, you simply peel the glue off.

I'm hoping someone has seen this in stores.

Trusted Contributor

I honestly haven't looked in stores. A couple of years ago I purchased a small container of the "Amonia Free Liquid Latex Body Paint" on Amazon and transferred some to a clean polish bottle. It worked fine and was cheaper than what was being sold for nails at the time. The only time I used it were the few times I attempted water marbling or gradients/ombres. For stamping I find it quicker and just as easy to just do normal cleanup with a brush.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, it's close to Halloween, so you may want to check the seasonal section at Wal Mart or visit a Halloween store for liquid latex.

Also wondering if school glue would work in a pinch.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

How about rubber cement, available anywhere they sell office supplies.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Perhaps try Sally's?

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel School glue is sometimes used as a substitute for peel off base coat. I don't think it would work well as a replacement for latex type barriers. For watermarbling, it would dissolve in the water. For other types of nail art, I don't think it would peel off the same way the latex barriers do. Washing it off with water isn't really feasible until the nail art has had a while to dry (same as you normally wouldn't wash your hands immediately after polishing your nails). On the other hand leaving it on for extended periods would likely increase the risk of eventually developing a reaction to one of more of the ingredients.

When I didn't have a latex barrier handy, I've used the "old" method of putting strips of transparent tape along the edges and under the tips of my nails. It collects the bulk of the "mess," simplifying clean up. Obviously doesn't work for watermarbling tho. For that either latex or lots of cotton swabs are a must.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 I don't think rubber cement would peel off the same way latex barriers do.. Perhaps most importantly, several of the ingredients in rubber cement are fairly toxic in regards to both inhalation and skin exposure. Using acetone on a cotton swab to clean up the bulk of any mess from the nail art, then using a clean up brush as usual, is far safer.

Esteemed Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel School glue is sometimes used as a substitute for peel off base coat. I don't think it would work well as a replacement for latex type barriers. For watermarbling, it would dissolve in the water. For other types of nail art, I don't think it would peel off the same way the latex barriers do. Washing it off with water isn't really feasible until the nail art has had a while to dry (same as you normally wouldn't wash your hands immediately after polishing your nails). On the other hand leaving it on for extended periods would likely increase the risk of eventually developing a reaction to one of more of the ingredients.

When I didn't have a latex barrier handy, I've used the "old" method of putting strips of transparent tape along the edges and under the tips of my nails. It collects the bulk of the "mess," simplifying clean up. Obviously doesn't work for watermarbling tho. For that either latex or lots of cotton swabs are a must.

@juperier  Okay.  But I think the liquid latex I mentioned that is available at Halloween stores would work.  Just need a small paint brush to apply.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org