Trusted Contributor

Re: Pedicures and Shaving your legs

I shower and shave my legs the morning of my pedi. Like to be really clean. I've never had any kind of an issue.

I'm 73 and still have to shave. I don’t get heavy hair growth but sometimes when the sun hits just right I've seen what looks like peach fuzz. Ugh. So,I shave several times a week unless I’m wearing long pants. Camouflage 

Honored Contributor

I've been told that by my dermatologist.  But depending on how they do your pedicure, your pores are going to be opened wide with all the heated wax and/or heated towels, so if you're going to get an infection, you don't need a nick from a razor to do it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

They have been saying this for years. Yet some women just won't listen. It is dangerous to shave your legs before getting a pedicure.

I shave with an electric razor or a epilator but still wait to do it until after a pedi. I really prefer to do my own pedis but right now my back prefers I get them done.I'm not really comfortable with someone touching my feet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I've been told that by my dermatologist.  But depending on how they do your pedicure, your pores are going to be opened wide with all the heated wax and/or heated towels, so if you're going to get an infection, you don't need a nick from a razor to do it.

You don't get infections through your pores. There has to be an opening , like a cut  or scrape , in the skin. Often when someone shaves with a razor there are tiny , not really visable cuts in the skin. While they do clean those foot baths between customers - they do not steralize them, so you are taking your chance. I cringe to think what would grow if they did a culture on one of those footbaths.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 @PINKdogWOOD I'm on the body "hairless" team too.  I only have to remove a few fine hairs every few months and I prefer an in-shower dipiliatory over shaving.  I only now spotting a couple of fine hairs under my arms from my last removal which was around St. Patrick's Day.   Hail to one of the upsides of menopause. 

Valued Contributor

I shave every single day.  I've never had a problem on the day I get a pedicure.  

I change blades every week.  You're less likely to get nics with a new blade.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my, every single day @Bri63 I can't imagine although in my hairier younger years in the summer it would be almost every other day. I understand though as with men some women have more and darker hair than others. I get it. One thought though, I do reach for a new razor after the 2nd or 3rd shave regardless of area.

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox  My sister and I were just talking about this today.  I was complaining how I really needed a pedicure and wanted to go today, but I needed to shave my legs and wouldn't go after that.  She looked at me like I was crazy, so I explained about shaving and micro-tears and how our skin is a protective barrier.  Then I told her she learned something new today.  Smiley LOL  

I did my own pedicure.  Not as great as a salon, but good enough.  Truth be told, I don't really love getting pedicures because of hygiene reasons.  I always wonder if that's the day I'll contract a pathogen.  Such is the life of a germ-conscious person.  Sigh.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*