Honored Contributor

@Quinny,    I found something better at Sally Beauty.  It sort reminds me of a paddle,  It has a handle and attached to that is plastic surrounding a grater (it's silver with little holes in it).  I paid around $6.50.   You soak your feet first to get the skin soft.  Dry your feet and use this paddle.  It really get the rough skin off.  Good luck.  I have a friend that feels like you except she hates massages too.  

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

HSN sells Footlogix.

Trusted Contributor

Tinkrbl44,  I am aware of what phobias are and I should not have used that word.  I know many people suffer from true phobias which are acknowledged by the NIMH as a diagnosable mental disorder, not "unsubstantiated fear".  To the individual who suffers from a phobia, their fear is VERY real and is to be taken seriously. We use words without thinking and I want to apologize if I offended anyone who is a sufferer of any phobia.

When I was a young teenager, I accompanied my grandma to the beauty salon to get her pedicure, she told me to sit down and get one as well.  Having another person clip, file and chip away at my feet was remarkably uncomfortable and unsettling. I mentioned I had a pedicure 10 years ago. (I did it as part of a bridesmaids' activity for my son's wedding) I experienced the same discomfort.  After reading many of the comments listed here, I see that I am far from alone in my disdain for pedicures.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

Tinkrbl44,  I am aware of what phobias are and I should not have used that word.  I know many people suffer from true phobias which are acknowledged by the NIMH as a diagnosable mental disorder, not "unsubstantiated fear".  To the individual who suffers from a phobia, their fear is VERY real and is to be taken seriously. We use words without thinking and I want to apologize if I offended anyone who is a sufferer of any phobia.

When I was a young teenager, I accompanied my grandma to the beauty salon to get her pedicure, she told me to sit down and get one as well.  Having another person clip, file and chip away at my feet was remarkably uncomfortable and unsettling. I mentioned I had a pedicure 10 years ago. (I did it as part of a bridesmaids' activity for my son's wedding) I experienced the same discomfort.  After reading many of the comments listed here, I see that I am far from alone in my disdain for pedicures.  

@Quinny

Phobias come in many different forms. Acrophobia is the fear of heights. Aviophobia is the fear of flying. Felinophobia is the fear of cats. Myxophobia is the fear of slime. Xyrophobia is the fear of razors. While some are well-recognized, others are unheard of, but whatever the phobia, the person suffering from it is living with fear and anxiety.

Fear vs. Phobia

"Phobias involve the experience of persistent fear that is excessive and unreasonable," says Wilson, who is author of the book Don't Panic. "Phobias are cued when a person approaches a particular situation or object, or even anticipates the approach of it, and they understand the fear they will experience as a result of that situation will be unreasonable and excessive."

@Quinny your use of the word phobia is accurate to some degree.....

Finally, there is a gaunlut of phobias (fears) that are irrational, thus unsubstantiated in that what the suffer believes to be dangerous is irrational and would not likely cause distress.

They are generally categorized as Anxiety Disorders.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

No one touches my feet.. last pedicure I had my big toe nail turned white.  Nope no more so now I do my own...  I use and successfully smooth feet..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

Itiswhatitis:

any fear, perceived or real, that generates excessive anxiety in a person, to such a degree that an individual's everyday life is altered is indeed a generalized anxiety disorder... and so recognized by the NIMH.  The condition is named Generalized Anxiety Disorder or (GAD)

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had a pedicure and just one manicure.  I can take care of my own maintenance. I don't like the idea of people touching my feet or nails. Creeps me out.

Also a cut on the foot of a diabetic person can be very dangerous.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I don't get pedicures where they don't use a liner or I don't see them scrub out the tub with antibacterial/disinfectant solution, and they don't use sterilized tools. Not sure where people are going, but it's rarer for me to find an unsanitary, creepy place than a decent-to-good one. 

Love pedicures, facials and massages and have nooooo issues with them. I usually go to places that are known for their luxurious pedis (with prices to match) and have never been cut at such a place. There's a difference between going to a place where it's in-and-out, get the basic job done, and a place that specializes in the pampering. I could get my toenails clipped at a podiatrist's office, but I like the pampering.

I know that there are people (including my own family) that hate to be touched, period - face, feet, hands, anywhere on their body. I don't get it, but I know it's so. I can't imagine what would cause such great fear or disgust.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

Itiswhatitis:

any fear, perceived or real, that generates excessive anxiety in a person, to such a degree that an individual's everyday life is altered is indeed a generalized anxiety disorder... and so recognized by the NIMH.  The condition is named Generalized Anxiety Disorder or (GAD)

The DSM recognizes phobias as Anxiety Disorders @Quinny

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Funny how a thread on foot products turned into a discussion of psychiatric disorders......

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt