Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,570
Registered: ‎06-13-2012
On 8/10/2014 BellaCarro said: I wish I could use her retinol. I'm guessing this, like her previous retinol serums, has a great deal of "slip"? My skin reacts badly to her formulations with a lot of silicones. If any of you try it and find the slip to be less, well, slippery I'd love to know.

I will let you know what it is like when I get it. I am hoping it isn't a real slippery formula either- I don't like that about many of her antioxy serums.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,570
Registered: ‎06-13-2012
On 8/10/2014 Iwantcoffee said:
On 8/10/2014 HappyDaze said:

I truly don't know what to expect to see with the product- I will be using it more for its' long-term benefits, basically to ward off wrinkles. Iwantcoffee, what improvement, if any, have you seen?

Honestly, I have not seen any improvements but I have only used the product 3 or 4 times. Like you, I am more interested in long-term benefits. I am thrilled that I had not had any problems using this retinol.

thank you! We are on the same page with what we are looking for from it I think. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,306
Registered: ‎10-01-2011
On 8/10/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 8/10/2014 BellaCarro said: I wish I could use her retinol. I'm guessing this, like her previous retinol serums, has a great deal of "slip"? My skin reacts badly to her formulations with a lot of silicones. If any of you try it and find the slip to be less, well, slippery I'd love to know.

I will let you know what it is like when I get it. I am hoping it isn't a real slippery formula either- I don't like that about many of her antioxy serums.

Yes, those too. I have tried to use them but always have the same end result. Then I put them aside and try again a few months later and always same result. You think I'd learn already!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,570
Registered: ‎06-13-2012
On 8/10/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 8/10/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 8/10/2014 BellaCarro said: I wish I could use her retinol. I'm guessing this, like her previous retinol serums, has a great deal of "slip"? My skin reacts badly to her formulations with a lot of silicones. If any of you try it and find the slip to be less, well, slippery I'd love to know.

I will let you know what it is like when I get it. I am hoping it isn't a real slippery formula either- I don't like that about many of her antioxy serums.

Yes, those too. I have tried to use them but always have the same end result. Then I put them aside and try again a few months later and always same result. You think I'd learn already!

lol, I do the exact.same.thing. I've been working on the skin recovery serum for awhile. I think I may just start mixing it with my body butters and using it on my body instead. Plus I've never really seen an improvement with my skin using her AO serums. That is one reason I love the NCN vit C- I like more watery consistencies in my serums, not ones that feel like they coat my skin or are sticky.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 229
Registered: ‎03-12-2010
On 8/10/2014 Mistic said:
On 8/10/2014 BellaCarro said: I wish I could use her retinol. I'm guessing this, like her previous retinol serums, has a great deal of "slip"? My skin reacts badly to her formulations with a lot of silicones. If any of you try it and find the slip to be less, well, slippery I'd love to know.

I use PTR's Retinol Fusion PM 1.5%. It is like water, and sinks in quickly on clean skin. I will go and find the ingredient list.

CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, SQUALANE, RETINOL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, WATER (AQUA), PENTYLENE GLYCOL, POLYSORBATE 20, LECITHIN, BISABOLOL, ALCOHOL.


Paula's Choice Ingredients on the new Retinol 1.0%

Water, Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Butylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Isononyl Isononanoate (emollient), Castor Isostearate Succinate (skin-conditioning agent), Glyceryl Stearate (emulsifier), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (thickener), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone thickener/texture enhancer), PEG-33 (binding agent), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Behenyl Alcohol (fatty alcohol thickener), Retinol (cell-communicating ingredient), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Ceramide 2 (skin-repairing ingredient), Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12 (cell-communicating ingredients), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract (antioxidant plant extracts/anti-irritants), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols (antioxidant/skin-conditioning agent), Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (antioxidant), Sorbitan Laurate (emulsifier), Acetyl Dipeptide-1 Cetyl Ester (anti-irritant), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Hydroxyethylcellulose (thickener), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Tribehenin (emollient), Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin (skin conditioning agents),Pentylene Glycol (slip agent), PEG-100 Stearate (thickener), PEG-75 Shea Butter Glycerides (emollient), PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer (film-forming agent), PEG-10 Phytosterol (fatty acid-based thickener), PEG-8 Dimethicone (silicone-based skin-conditioning agent), PEG-14 (thickener), Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate (binding agent), Polymethylsilsesquioxane (silicone-based opacifying agent), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (slip agent), Arachidyl Glucoside (emulsifier), Sclerotium Gum (thickener) Arachidyl Alcohol (thickener), Benzoic Acid (preservative), Carbomer (gel-based thickener), Phenoxyethanol (preservative)

HOPE THIS HELPS ~ MISTIC

This is exactly my experience as well. PC's retinol serums are too thick for my skin. PTR's retinol fusion is more watery in texture, and does not bother my sensitive skin.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,306
Registered: ‎10-01-2011
On 8/10/2014 HappyDaze said:
lol, I do the exact.same.thing. I've been working on the skin recovery serum for awhile. I think I may just start mixing it with my body butters and using it on my body instead. Plus I've never really seen an improvement with my skin using her AO serums. That is one reason I love the NCN vit C- I like more watery consistencies in my serums, not ones that feel like they coat my skin or are sticky.

Good idea about adding the AO serum to body butters. I can't make myself toss them as that seems so wasteful. So they sit in a drawer along with some other rejected components of kits, etc.

I feel the same about serum consistency. I think it partly stems from an almost guaranteed spot or breakout from a slippery feel. Also, I just plain ol' don't like the feel. I know you had mentioned that is why you don't care for primers. I know I mentioned it previously but wow, I am loving that 100%Pure primer. Even more now after using it for over a week. After applying it loses the slick feel. I love how the color correction I use over it really stays put and wears better now.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,570
Registered: ‎06-13-2012
On 8/10/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 8/10/2014 HappyDaze said:
lol, I do the exact.same.thing. I've been working on the skin recovery serum for awhile. I think I may just start mixing it with my body butters and using it on my body instead. Plus I've never really seen an improvement with my skin using her AO serums. That is one reason I love the NCN vit C- I like more watery consistencies in my serums, not ones that feel like they coat my skin or are sticky.

Good idea about adding the AO serum to body butters. I can't make myself toss them as that seems so wasteful. So they sit in a drawer along with some other rejected components of kits, etc.

I feel the same about serum consistency. I think it partly stems from an almost guaranteed spot or breakout from a slippery feel. Also, I just plain ol' don't like the feel. I know you had mentioned that is why you don't care for primers. I know I mentioned it previously but wow, I am loving that 100%Pure primer. Even more now after using it for over a week. After applying it loses the slick feel. I love how the color correction I use over it really stays put and wears better now.

yep you hit the nail on the head in all regards as to why I don't like the feel of them and why I don't like primers! I always feel like my skin is smothered! Well okay now I need to try that primer! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} sheesh!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,306
Registered: ‎10-01-2011
On 8/10/2014 NickelEmily said:
On 8/10/2014 Mistic said:
On 8/10/2014 BellaCarro said: I wish I could use her retinol. I'm guessing this, like her previous retinol serums, has a great deal of "slip"? My skin reacts badly to her formulations with a lot of silicones. If any of you try it and find the slip to be less, well, slippery I'd love to know.

I use PTR's Retinol Fusion PM 1.5%. It is like water, and sinks in quickly on clean skin. I will go and find the ingredient list.

CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, SQUALANE, RETINOL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, WATER (AQUA), PENTYLENE GLYCOL, POLYSORBATE 20, LECITHIN, BISABOLOL, ALCOHOL.


This is exactly my experience as well. PC's retinol serums are too thick for my skin. PTR's retinol fusion is more watery in texture, and does not bother my sensitive skin.

Thanks, Mistic. Nice of you to list the PTR ingredients for me. As SQ3 mentioned, though, that first ingredient is a 'cone. If I were to purchase a retinol (which I really should since I am so inconsistent with Retin A) it would be from NCN. I've had very good experiences and results from her line. She has two retinol products. I'll post ingredients for the one I'm considering (it's $58):

Active Ingredients: Retinol 2% (Water, Phospholipids, Retinol), 5% Trylagen PCB.

Other Ingredients: Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Grape Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Corn Oil, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Shea Butter, Aloe Leaf Juice, Pumpkin Seed Oil, Polyglyceryl-3 Stearate, Palm Stearic Acid, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Zemea, Cetearyl Alcohol, Vegetable Glycerine, Vitamin E, Cucumber Extract, Elder Flower, Mallow Extract, Comfrey Extract, Xanthan Gum, Glyceryl Caprylate, Sodium Levulinate, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Optiphen.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,306
Registered: ‎10-01-2011
On 8/10/2014 HappyDaze said:
yep you hit the nail on the head in all regards as to why I don't like the feel of them and why I don't like primers! I always feel like my skin is smothered! Well okay now I need to try that primer! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} sheesh!

Sorry{#emotions_dlg.blush}. But, do you really need a primer? You seem so happy with what you have and the Missha BB.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,570
Registered: ‎06-13-2012
On 8/10/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 8/10/2014 HappyDaze said:
yep you hit the nail on the head in all regards as to why I don't like the feel of them and why I don't like primers! I always feel like my skin is smothered! Well okay now I need to try that primer! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} sheesh!

Sorry{#emotions_dlg.blush}. But, do you really need a primer? You seem so happy with what you have and the Missha BB.

no, I don't think so, lol! But here is my rationale-since I've never had a good one, how do I know what I am missing if there IS a good one that will actually DO something for me? {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I have some powder foundation I want to use up so they don't go to waste (just can't seem to toss something) and that have never worked very well so maybe using a primer that actually works may make the powder look better? Is that silly? I definitely don't need it with my Missha or Andalou CC.