Trusted Contributor

Paula's reviews on Isomers skincare

I used to, at least somewhat, put some trust in Paula's rewiews on the Paula's Choice website.  But no longer.  It had been a while since I had been to her site and I looked this morning to see if she had anything to say about the Isomer's Ultimate Serum before I plunked down money to purchase it.  And truthfully, it was the first time I had ever searched for her reviews on any Isomers products.  What I found is that of all the Isomers products she reviews......she gave none of them more than 3 stars and had some harsh words to say about some of them.  While I don't use Isomers exclusively, and not all Isomers products I've tried/used do anything for my skin, I do know that some of the things that Paula rated poorly, have done wonders for my skin, whereas none of Paula's line has done much of anything for me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Paula's reviews on Isomers skincare

I like several of the Isomers products. I don't want Paula's reviews or reviews from anyone else selling their own products.

Honored Contributor

I do not use Isomers exclusively either, and I have found some of her products work great for me and others I can live without......I look at Paula's reviews occasinally, but mostly out of curiosity because  a lot of her reviews are done and you know she or her staff couldn't have possibly tried all of those products, so the reviews on a lot of them are based solely on ingredients!  

Esteemed Contributor

I own a couple of foundations, both by Revlon that got poor reviews on Beautypedia. Revlon Age Defying foundation and Colorstay foundation for normal to dry skin. I bought both of these on sale as they were bundled with a free add on, one had a sample makeup primer and the other a concealer. Both foundations are in the natural beige color and both are fine on me. The reviews said that the age defying foundation showed wrinkles later on in the day and that Colorstay was hard to blend. I didn't find that to be the case. The age defying foundation in the U.S. has an SPF of 20 but it's not marketed in Canada as having sunscreen but a look at the ingredient deck does show that it does contain those ingredients.

IT Cosmetics CC cream with SPF 50 also got poor reviews on Beautypedia and that is my go to product for my face every day. It gets low marks for the fragrance in it but the fragrance doesn't bother me, I hardly notice it.

Honored Contributor

She also rates Skinn's products pretty low as well!

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

I own a couple of foundations, both by Revlon that got poor reviews on Beautypedia. Revlon Age Defying foundation and Colorstay foundation for normal to dry skin. I bought both of these on sale as they were bundled with a free add on, one had a sample makeup primer and the other a concealer. Both foundations are in the natural beige color and both are fine on me. The reviews said that the age defying foundation showed wrinkles later on in the day and that Colorstay was hard to blend. I didn't find that to be the case. The age defying foundation in the U.S. has an SPF of 20 but it's not marketed in Canada as having sunscreen but a look at the ingredient deck does show that it does contain those ingredients.

IT Cosmetics CC cream with SPF 50 also got poor reviews on Beautypedia and that is my go to product for my face every day. It gets low marks for the fragrance in it but the fragrance doesn't bother me, I hardly notice it.

There was a post a while back about the Colorstay with people having problems applying it. I have some now but don't always use it. I love it & don't have any problems applying it. I used it when I was younger for years. My sister has been wearing it for years. We both like the buff color. It must be popular because it's always sold out. I tried the It CC & it makes my face oily. Would probably work for me in the winter.

Valued Contributor

It has always amazed me how so many people on these boards put so much stock in PBs opinions.  She hardly ever likes other's products but her own.  

I have never taken her opinion seriously and I believe her bias is to her own products now that she has a line.  Before she just trashed other's ingredients.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although I have a different opinion of Beautpedia from what's been posted so far, I'll comment only on a statement made that is not factual. It is simply not true that she hardly ever gives positive reviews to other products.

If she had rated Isomers or Skinn very highly (I know that she does like some of their products), there would not have been a discussion here.  It certainly has never bothered me to see a bad review of a product I very much like. I just chalk it up to the fact that not everyone is going to think the same about any line of skin care or cosmetics.

What I do appreciate, though, is that Beautypedia is one of the very few sites, maybe the only one, that DOES talk about ingredients in skin care and factor it into the rating. I use it as one source, along with all the myriad sites where I can find personal opinions and anecdotes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I just use it as a research tool.  What I appreciate is she'll call out some ingredients.  She can be in favor of them, but my skin might react to them.  So even though she gave something a good review, I'll know to stay away from it.  I've seen her give plenty of good reviews for many products that aren't her own.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

SKINN unfortunately uses a few irritating ingredients in almost every product. I've wanted to try a few of their items in the past but unfortunately, they always contained menthol, peppermint oil or other irritating ingredients so I had to pass. I would love if he'd omit those kind of ingredients in a few of his products as many of the other ingredients are very nice. Still hoping for a mint and menthol free lip balm!

I do like his Collagenisis body oil (love the scent!) and his hand cream. Both really nice products.

Regarding Isomers, I have tried a few of their products and just never had any results from them. I think they ones I tried were ones she rated fairly well or didn't rate at all because they were newer at the time. I know they use some irritating ingredients too but not nearly as many products contain them as in SKINN's. Isomers frustrates me though because they are always changing formulas and not letting consumers know. That isn't good for those of us who like to avoid irritating ingredients or ingredients like Triclosan, which she added in her deoderant at some point and which we know isn't a good ingredient to be exposed to on a regular basis.

I've said this a million times and I know people like to ignore it or just simply like to ignore scientific evidence in general but Paula's info on ingredients stems from scientific evidence, not her opinion.

That said, there are many things she rates highly that I haven't liked. They aren't ingredients issues as much as how the product feels, looks, wears or applies. Mostly this in regards to makeup.