Super Contributor

Paula's choice four piece pick with book

i just received this but not sure how to layer the products.

I have a Vit C liquid dropper ( not Paula's)

and at night I use 1% vitamin A 

can an someone please help me layer these with mine. I also need to buy a toner.

thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Paula's choice four piece pick with book

There is another thread asking the same thing. I will copy and past what  I wrote on that one:

Normally it goes:

BHA first

Serum

Then here you can either use the booster first or moisturizer or mix them together. Since HA helps the skin retain moisture, I'd put it either with the moisturizer (mix) or after the moisturizer, not before.

Here is her guide directly from her website. It too says what I stated and what she has always said in emails and articles- serum first then moisturizer:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/how-to-put-together-a-skin-care-routine

Your Essential Routine

This simple, step-by-step routine covers the basic types of products everyone should use and the order in which to use them every day. These steps apply regardless of your skin type.

Essential Routine: EVENING
  1. Cleanser
  2. Exfoliant
  3. Moisturizer

Learn why exfoliation is so important and which exfoliant to use.
Learn about moisturizers, anti-aging, and antiwrinkle products.

Your Advanced Routine

The Advanced Routine is one most people concerned with signs of aging or breakouts will need. It includes targeted treatments that build on the foundation of the Essential Routine to treat your personal skincare concerns, such as acne, red marks, wrinkles, sun damage, brown spots, or rosacea.

For example, if your sole concern is dry skin, you'll do fine by following the Essential Routine. But if you have dry skin and wrinkles or oily skin and wrinkles and breakouts you will want to follow the Advanced Routine for best results.

The Advanced Routine includes a gentle toner as the second step, morning and evening. If you've never used a well-formulated toner before, prepare to be amazed by the results! Learn why toner is such an important step in a comprehensive skincare routine.

Advanced Routine: MORNING
  1. Cleanser
  2. Toner
  3. Exfoliant
  4. Treatment (serum)
  5. Moisturizer w/ sunscreen
  6. Optional: Targeted treatment (applied as needed before sunscreen)
Advanced Routine: EVENING
  1. Cleanser
  2. Toner
  3. Exfoliant
  4. Treatment (serum)
  5. Moisturizer
  6. Optional: Targeted treatment, as needed, applied before or after your treatment product.

The difference is what is meant by a "targeted" treatment, which I think refers to say, just an eye cream, or spot treatments for acne, etc.

Super Contributor

Thank you so much!

Trusted Contributor

Well, I just received the 4 piece starter kit with the book, also. 

I'm stating the obvious, here, but if you read the book first, she will tell you how to layer products and gives recommendations at the end of the chapters for products according to your skin type (dry, oily, combo).