Esteemed Contributor

You may want to try the samples of Paula's Choice products first. I agree that their customer service is exemplary, it's the best I've ever seen from a company, period. They are fast shipping too.

Super Contributor

A lot of her products are LOADED with silicones -- I can't wear them. I haven't tried any of her makeup, but some of her skin care is OK. I haven't found anything above mediocre.

I agree with the others that you should get samples first.

Super Contributor

Do you know what causes your milia? I'm asking because I know that silicones definitely cause milia for me and many PC products are loaded with silicone. I like some of her products, but have to steer away from the ones that contain silicones.

Super Contributor
On 1/29/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Big fan here.

I have sensitive, dry/normal, sometimes combination skin, with very mild rosacea. I first called and asked for advice. Then I asked for them to send me samples of the products we discussed. They did NOT charge me for a whole pile of samples.

I use some products from the Resist, Skin Recovery, and Hydralight lines.

The products have excellent ingredient decks, are free of fragrance and irritants, cruelty-free, packaged with excellent delivery systems that keep the ingredients active, and IMO, quite moderately priced.

The CS is exemplary. I called about one product that I thought was wrong for me, and they refunded my money and told me to keep the product and try it again at a later time. I did, and now it's one of my favorites. I've also placed orders and then realized I wanted one more item, and CS has always sent it without charging me shipping.

In the morning I use the BHA 1% Lotion, the Resist toner, the Resist Anti-aging Clear Skin Hydrator, and often the new Resist SuperLight moisturizer with SPF 30 (physical).

At night, I use either the Resist or Hydralight toner (both alcohol free) and the Resist Retinol serum. After the serum has sunk in, I use the Skin Recovery moisturizer. I had been using Olay Regenerist night recovery cream and loved its texture but not the jar packaging. The Skin Recovery is equally creamy but is in a tube. (no jar packaging for any of the products). I use a very small amount on my face, around my eyes, and my neck and chest. No need for a separate eye or neck moisturizer.

I do use a different brand cleanser and Vitamin C serum, and I also rotate several Shea Terra Organics facial oils. But my mainstay products are PC all the way.

suzyQ3 - I have been trying out some of the cleansers and toners. I am a bit confused about using both a toner and the BHA 2% lotion. Do you feel that the toners are really necessary? I have only tried 2 of the cleanser samples that I ordered and both cleansers removed all my makeup. I guess I just don't see the need. What are your thoughts on toner? I know that the PC reps will tell me I need it if I email them. I just don't want more steps in my routine than necessary.

Super Contributor

I have been using PC products now for about 9 months. Very happy with the results. I use the Skin Recovery line. I've tried so many QVC skincare brands, high-end department store brands and suggestions received from these boards on drugstore products. Things were good but not great.

Very happy with the results from PC and have re-purchased items. I've phased out all the skincare products from other lines and now use only PC. Everyone has different needs/preferences and when you finally find one that works for you, it's time for the happy dance! If you order something from her, you are given the opportunity to choose several sample items. That is how I was able to find the other products that I like.

Honored Contributor
On 1/30/2014 myshell624 said:

Big fan here.

<p class="MsoPlainText">I have sensitive, dry/normal, sometimes combination skin, with very mild rosacea. I first called and asked for advice. Then I asked for them to send me samples of the products we discussed. They did NOT charge me for a whole pile of samples.

<p class="MsoPlainText">I use some products from the Resist, Skin Recovery, and Hydralight lines.

<p class="MsoPlainText">The products have excellent ingredient decks, are free of fragrance and irritants, cruelty-free, packaged with excellent delivery systems that keep the ingredients active, and IMO, quite moderately priced.

<p class="MsoPlainText">The CS is exemplary. I called about one product that I thought was wrong for me, and they refunded my money and told me to keep the product and try it again at a later time. I did, and now it's one of my favorites. I've also placed orders and then realized I wanted one more item, and CS has always sent it without charging me shipping.

<p class="MsoPlainText">In the morning I use the BHA 1% Lotion, the Resist toner, the Resist Anti-aging Clear Skin Hydrator, and often the new Resist SuperLight moisturizer with SPF 30 (physical).

<p class="MsoPlainText">At night, I use either the Resist or Hydralight toner (both alcohol free) and the Resist Retinol serum. After the serum has sunk in, I use the Skin Recovery moisturizer. I had been using Olay Regenerist night recovery cream and loved its texture but not the jar packaging. The Skin Recovery is equally creamy but is in a tube. (no jar packaging for any of the products). I use a very small amount on my face, around my eyes, and my neck and chest. No need for a separate eye or neck moisturizer.

<p class="MsoPlainText">I do use a different brand cleanser and Vitamin C serum, and I also rotate several Shea Terra Organics facial oils. But my mainstay products are PC all the way.

suzyQ3 - I have been trying out some of the cleansers and toners. I am a bit confused about using both a toner and the BHA 2% lotion. Do you feel that the toners are really necessary? I have only tried 2 of the cleanser samples that I ordered and both cleansers removed all my makeup. I guess I just don't see the need. What are your thoughts on toner? I know that the PC reps will tell me I need it if I email them. I just don't want more steps in my routine than necessary.

not suzy but I use to use her Toner and the BHA but honestly, I don't feel like the toner really does much but help soothe and calm the skin and remove any last traces of makeup (which is no longer an issue since I switched to a muslin cloth). The BHA does definitely make a difference. So I will on occasion use her toner (although I am out currently) if I have some waterproof makeup to take off or to cool/calm my skin but I truly can do without.

And no, the Paula's Choice customer service will NOT tell you need one, the told me it was optional since I was already using the BHA and also a serum and some oils.

Super Contributor
On 1/30/2014 HappyDaze said:

Big fan here.

<p class="MsoPlainText">I have sensitive, dry/normal, sometimes combination skin, with very mild rosacea. I first called and asked for advice. Then I asked for them to send me samples of the products we discussed. They did NOT charge me for a whole pile of samples.

<p class="MsoPlainText">I use some products from the Resist, Skin Recovery, and Hydralight lines.

<p class="MsoPlainText">The products have excellent ingredient decks, are free of fragrance and irritants, cruelty-free, packaged with excellent delivery systems that keep the ingredients active, and IMO, quite moderately priced.

<p class="MsoPlainText">The CS is exemplary. I called about one product that I thought was wrong for me, and they refunded my money and told me to keep the product and try it again at a later time. I did, and now it's one of my favorites. I've also placed orders and then realized I wanted one more item, and CS has always sent it without charging me shipping.

<p class="MsoPlainText">In the morning I use the BHA 1% Lotion, the Resist toner, the Resist Anti-aging Clear Skin Hydrator, and often the new Resist SuperLight moisturizer with SPF 30 (physical).

<p class="MsoPlainText">At night, I use either the Resist or Hydralight toner (both alcohol free) and the Resist Retinol serum. After the serum has sunk in, I use the Skin Recovery moisturizer. I had been using Olay Regenerist night recovery cream and loved its texture but not the jar packaging. The Skin Recovery is equally creamy but is in a tube. (no jar packaging for any of the products). I use a very small amount on my face, around my eyes, and my neck and chest. No need for a separate eye or neck moisturizer.

<p class="MsoPlainText">I do use a different brand cleanser and Vitamin C serum, and I also rotate several Shea Terra Organics facial oils. But my mainstay products are PC all the way.

not suzy but I use to use her Toner and the BHA but honestly, I don't feel like the toner really does much but help soothe and calm the skin and remove any last traces of makeup (which is no longer an issue since I switched to a muslin cloth). The BHA does definitely make a difference. So I will on occasion use her toner (although I am out currently) if I have some waterproof makeup to take off or to cool/calm my skin but I truly can do without.

And no, the Paula's Choice customer service will NOT tell you need one, the told me it was optional since I was already using the BHA and also a serum and some oils.

Thanks HappyDaze! I have not emailed PC customer service. I just assumed they would tell me I do need one since I know Paula has written about why she feels they are important. I will definitely be placing an order for the 2% BHA lotion. I love it! I think I am going to hold off on using a toner for now. I did enjoy the Resist toner but don't like too many steps in my routine. I also really liked the Skin Recovery moisturizer with my argan oil so I will probably order that as well.

Honored Contributor
On 1/30/2014 HappyDaze said:

Big fan here.

Thanks HappyDaze! I have not emailed PC customer service. I just assumed they would tell me I do need one since I know Paula has written about why she feels they are important. I will definitely be placing an order for the 2% BHA lotion. I love it! I think I am going to hold off on using a toner for now. I did enjoy the Resist toner but don't like too many steps in my routine. I also really liked the Skin Recovery moisturizer with my argan oil so I will probably order that as well.

Actually, I don't think that toners are considered so essential to Paula. She is generally not a big fan of most toners because so many include alcohol and other irritants.

I tend to use toner out of habit, so I figure I might as well use one with good ingredients. I alternate between the Resist toner (morning) and the Hydralight (evening). But I could live without them.

I don't think that they are comparable, though, to a BHA product. They have very different functions. BHA is an exfoliant, and toners basically remove any trace of makeup, stabilize the skin's pH after cleanser, and can add, in the case of Paula's toners, some excellent anti-aging and/or moisturizing ingredients.

As for individual reactions to certain products or ingredients, we all have to judge only what works or doesn't work for us. I have never developed any problems or breakouts from her products. I did, however, switch to another brand's cleanser because I wanted something more soothing and moisturizing than my Hydralight.

To the poster or posters who don't trust her for whatever reason, that's their prerogative. I don't think I could find better skincare that is fragrance- and irritant-free, not tested on animals, loaded with effective ingredients, partnered with superlative customer service, and priced so moderately anywhere else.

And I find her reviews of other brands to be very helpful; I especially like her "Best Products" page and have been happy with several products from other companies that I've found there. But most important, I am so pleased that before I get swept up in the hype of a product, I can so often check her reviews for credible information about ingredients, along with MUA for personal reviews.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

suzyQ3 - Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try using the BHA, serum and moisturizer/oil and see how my skin feels. I do like the Resist toner. I just hate having so many steps. So far my favorite cleanser is the Moisture Boost one but I still have a few other samples to try. I do not see any traces of makeup on my cotton pad when I use toner after this one. It is really gentle and doesn't leave my skin feeling tight.

Honored Contributor
On 1/29/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 1/29/2014 FUTURE said:
On 1/29/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 1/29/2014 D Oro said:

Wayne Goss was the consultant on an all matte neutral palette for Paula is to be released in the spring. He said the texture is very buttery. He was helping to get the textures and the colors right.

I will be interested in this! I hadn't heard anything about it before, thanks for letting us know.

HD, if you google his name plus Instagram, his account will come up. I think it's the 5th or 6th picture posted, as of right now. It's super pretty. I'm not a HUGE matte person, but I have a feeling I'll be getting this. Smiley Wink

okay thanks FUTURE! I am going to check it out! I appreciate it. Smiley Happy

ETA: okay I just did it and yes, I will be getting this. I am not a huge matte fan either but I do like them in my mix. This has a nice mix of colors and buttery- I LOVE buttery eyeshadows and most mattes can be kind of chalky.

Here is a good video of it with swatches!

http://www.phyrra.net/2014/01/paulas-choice-nude-mattes-palette-sneak-peek.html