Frequent Contributor

Paula's Choice and Aspirin ?!?!?!

I ordered the Paula's Choice 4 piece value today... Then read where it says not to use if you are allergic to Aspirin!!! Anyone heard of this???!
Super Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice and Aspirin ?!?!?!

Salicylic acid is the active ingredient in aspirin, which is the main ingredient in her 2% liquid BHA. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not sure which kit you purchased @Jifner1956 but anything with salicylic acid in it would not be good if you are aspirin allergic as they are basically they same thing...stay away from BHA's and look to AHA's for your exfoliating needs....

http://www.webmd.com/beauty/face/skin-care-products

Warning: People who are allergic to salycylates (found in aspirin) should not use products containing salicylic acid. Salicylic acid can be absorbed into the bloodstream and may cause an allergic reaction or contact dermatitisPregnant or nursing women should not use products containing salicylic acid.

Honored Contributor

@Jifner1956 - If you need to reconsider the BHA and choose an AHA instead, I recommend the Alpha Hydrox Intensive Serum.  It's about $18 for a 2 oz. bottle, but there are often sales on the site - BOGO or BOGO 50% off.  The site ships for free on orders of $25.

Trusted Contributor

I am not allergic to aspirin, in fact I have made aspirin masks before with no problems.  However, after using her 2% BHA liquid a few days my skin turned red and flaky.  Everyone's skin is different and can react differently to products so just proceed with caution.

Honored Contributor

@Jifner1956 wrote:
I ordered the Paula's Choice 4 piece value today... Then read where it says not to use if you are allergic to Aspirin!!! Anyone heard of this???!

@Jifner1956 yes, any product from any brand that contains salicylic acid (Beta Hydroxy Acids) should have a warning label that you shouldn't use if you are allergic or sensitive to asprin.

Honored Contributor

@soonersis wrote:

I am not allergic to aspirin, in fact I have made aspirin masks before with no problems.  However, after using her 2% BHA liquid a few days my skin turned red and flaky.  Everyone's skin is different and can react differently to products so just proceed with caution.

@soonersis, that sounds like plain ol' irritation, not an allergic reaction. Perhaps you were using too much too soon or you are a candidate for starting more slowly with the 1%.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@soonersis wrote:

@ soonersis

What is the purpose of an aspirin mask?

Esteemed Contributor

OMG I am learning so much everyday!   Thank god i am NOT allergic to asprin   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

OMG I am learning so much everyday!   Thank god i am NOT allergic to asprin   Smiley Happy

@MalteseMomma oh I know!! I don't know what I'd do without my BHA!!