Trusted Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice, Rodan & Fields or Skinn Cosmetics?

I have tried everything under the sun from the most expensive to drugstore, and have landed on SKINN - it has done wonders for my skin over the last couple months. I agree with the poster who said start with the non-negotiables. Also, do take note of the ingredients in all your products. Dimitri has brought my attention to the fact that the first active ingredient should NOT be water.

Super Contributor

Wow..so much information. I am very, very appreciative.

Will definitely investigate Neutrogena further. I probably haven't used anything of theirs since my early 20s.

Good to know on the non-negotiables from SKINN. I get so overwhelmed trying to search his line. It'd be nice if there was a kit made of these y'know? So many OTHER kits are there haha.

Mr. Rebates...I keep hearing about this site, but need to look into it myself. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Another here for Paula's Choice. Although I have to say I'm not familiar with Skinn. I was a long time user of philosophy, but after reading so many favorable comments on this forum I tried Paula's Choice. My skin looked (and felt) better immediately. I like them for all the reasons previously mentioned: samples, customer service, price, no fragrance etc.

I have aging yet still oily acne-prone skin. I use a combination of the Skin Balancing products along with the ultra-light Resist line (not the regular Resist). Even though I'm using a different combination of products, it's actually easier and less expensive than philosophy.

As mentioned, you can call the customer service and they'll recommend products for your skin type and send you samples (3 free with an order or unlimited for a small price each) and you can experiment without breaking your bank. They also do a great job of explaining their products on the website. If you're interested, I'd check out the website first.

Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Call Paula's Choice. The customer service staff can help make recommendations and might be able to send you samples. You may wind up using products from another one of their lines than Resist. Skin Balancing and Clear might be better options. Also, sometimes it helps to mix product lines based upon your needs. The other advantage is the PC staff can recommend drugstore options, too.
Honored Contributor

Just an FYI: I have never paid for any of my PC samples. When I first called more than a year ago, the CS listened to my concerns and made some recommendations. She sent me a boatload of samples at no charge. Since then, I've asked on several occasions for free samples, and they have always obliged.

I can't guarantee that experience for everyone, but I just wanted to let you know. Sometimes a very nice and polite request will work wonders.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I reached out to PC via email with the same info I used in my OP here..they replied!

Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to make some suggestions for you! In terms of products, I think that our Skin Balancing line of products are actually a better fit for your needs than our Resist Anti-Aging Collection. The Skin Balancing is an excellent option for anti-aging, but the textures are lighter which may be more comfortable given that you have combination skin with dry areas. To get started, our Skin Balancing Starter Kit contains the basics that we suggest for healthy skin: Cleanser, Exfoliant, Day or Night Moisturizer. To add to this, you can certainly consider our Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum which will not only help in terms of antioxidant benefits, but will also help to mattify the skin when used under the Skin Balancing Daily Defense SPF30. I hope this is helpful, and if you have any further questions, please let us know.

Gotta love speedy Customer Service. Too bad I'm STILL torn between SKINN and PC haha.

Super Contributor

Mandy if I were you, I'd reply to the email and ask if there was any way to sample the products to see how your skin would do with them. In my experience they offer to send you samples to try. I actually use products from the Skin Recovery, Resist and Moisture Boost lines. I figured out what I liked by getting samples. They offer you three for free with every order but there are choices to choose from. If I didn't see what I wanted to try, I just ordered a couple of samples.

Respected Contributor

On 8/1/2014 NYCGRL said:

I have tried everything under the sun from the most expensive to drugstore, and have landed on SKINN - it has done wonders for my skin over the last couple months. I agree with the poster who said start with the non-negotiables. Also, do take note of the ingredients in all your products. Dimitri has brought my attention to the fact that the first active ingredient should NOT be water.

There are two schools of thought on hydrous and anhydrous approaches. But, you need water to hydrate your skin. Other ingredients can "lock" in the hydration. DJ really emphasizes that his products do not have water as a first ingredient, IMO a sales pitch, while many others would argue you need the water to hydrate. I do like his Collagenesis line for winter for my dry skin but I make sure my skin is hydrated first.
Trusted Contributor

Mandy, if you still want to look at Skinn they do have a kit that I think is what you might like. 308-248 has both cleansers, sunscreen, another moisturizer, and the Orchid Gel tint. Just add the Dermapeal and you are good to go. I'm loving these products but it's been only two days Smiley Wink

I've never used any of the other companies' products but PC does sound promising!

KJPA
Honored Contributor

MandySays, I really think you should just go with what Paula's Choice CS suggested. They have a money back guarantee, so you aren't going to be stuck with anything you don't like. I know you'll love her products.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau