Super Contributor

Paula's Choice, Rodan & Fields or Skinn Cosmetics?

I'm 36 with combination skin (dry: cheeks, mouth / oily: forehead and chin) with the occasional, hormonal breakout on chin or jawline. I had horrible acne during college. Went through a 6-month course of accutane back then and skin has been pretty great ever since. I have gotten away with using Cetaphil, Purity Made Simple and basic Drugstore brand moisturizers, but I think it's time to start investing in keeping my skin happy and start working in some anti aging. Sooooo...I keep hearing great things about those three skin care lines. I want to say upfront that I don't want to use 10 different products. I get so overwhelmed when there are too many steps or whatever. I think I just want cleanser, serum, am moisturizer, pm moisturizer, eye cream/treatment and maybe a mattefying primer to help with my forehead/chin. People keep mentioning the PC Resist line and it seems like I could get some decent products without breaking the bank (unlike R&F)...but then Skinn looks SUPER-affordable but omg where do you begin? Soooo many different products. Sorry this was so long-winded, but any advice is welcome.
Honored Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice, Rodan & Fields or Skinn Cosmetics?

I use and like Paula's Choice products because I have very sensitive skin, so I am assured that her products are fragrance- and irritant-free and have excellent ingredient decks. I find it easy to figure out which products would be best for me by using her website, and her CS is by far the best I've encountered. You can speak to someone any day of the week and get extensive advice and free samples. Plus, I find her prices to be moderate, and I can buy them from her site or from dermstore.com (an authorized dealer), which often has a 20 percent off promo and always has free shipping.

I don't ever get involved with the type of marketing scheme used by R&F.

As for Skinn, he has a large and enthusiastic following on this forum. For me, I feel more confident with my choice for my skin, for the above-mentioned reasons. Also, I am not a fan of the whole idea of constantly buying kits. I know that you can buy individual items, but it's the kits that are pushed as being the most economical way to purchase. I just want to buy exactly what I need -- individually. I think in the long run, that's the best deal for me. Also, I want to keep things fairly simple. Skinn demos overwhelm me with the dizzying array of products and configurations of products in kits.

ETA: I do use both a Vit C serum and a Matrixyl serum from NCN, and I also use Juice Beauty Cleansing Milk.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I like Paula's choice and I have gotten great results from them (better results from any other skincare line I had ever tried).

I like that you can order samples (that is what I did).

You might want to check out the skin balancing line - that is for combo- oily skin and it also has some anti-aging like the resist line. They also have a very good website with lots of information and a great customer service team that you can call and ask for advice.

I was also really not into having so many steps - but once I got started it only takes a few seconds and the way the products are designed you can layer then and they don't feel heavy or ball up. Now I love my little routine, but then again I have gotten great results.

I would recommend that if you give a few lines a try you should probably only use one line at a time so you can really assess what they do best.

Paula's Choice is cruelty free too. And they have a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied for any reason.

Good Luck deciding - I researched brands for a while before I tried PC and now I am so glad I did. It is so liberating to have nice skin.

Super Contributor

Definitely NOT Rodan and Fields. Extremely high prices for mediocre products. There's a reason R&F is no longer carried in high end department stores (or any store) and is sold through consultants. Just saying.

Also, you don't need to change everything. I mix drug store and other products. You could stick with your current cleanser and moisturizer if they work for you and just add in a serum (perhaps retinol at night and/or an antioxidant serum for day). A good SPF is your best anti-aging protection.

Super Contributor

Of the three you listed I'd recommend Paula's Choice. I don't have a lot of experience with Skinn and I have not heard good things about Rodan and Fields. Paula's Choice has excellent customer service and they offer sample sizes for all of their products. I would either email them or give them a call. Good luck!

Occasional Contributor

I know nothing about the R&F or Skinn line but I can say I started using the PC line about 3 weeks ago and I am amazed at how good my skin looks alrerady. I bought a 7 piece kit in the balancing line as I have EXTREMELY oily skin and large pores. I was also like you and didn't want alot of different steps. The good thing with this kit is it comes with stickers you can put on the different bottles until you figure out what to use and when to use it. I start with a cleanser and then a toner. I then use the exfoliant and then the retinol serum and then one of the moisturizers. A few times a week I use the mask. It really doesn't take that long to do. I had given up any hope of ever having nice looking skin again but I tried this line after reading so many great reviews. I figured I had already tried so many other things...what's one more? I am so glad I did. I know not everything works for everybody but this line is totally changing my skin. Good luck!

Super Contributor

You guys are why I love this forum! Looking more and more like I wanna try PC.
Super Contributor

I love Skinn! I went from dry rough skin to skin that feels like a rose petal.
Super Contributor

Although I don't use the brands you listed (PC & Skinn are super popular here), I do have a few suggestions. You don't have to worry about buying a whole new line of matching products. Use a good cleanser, anything from Cetaphil, CeraVe to a cleansing oil (which I use). The cleansing oils don't leave your skin oily, not at all. Find a good exfoliation product, whether physical or enzyme.

I'm a big fan of Retin A, available from a variety of sources.

The one thing you must add to your daily routine, especially if your interested in anti-aging, is UV protection. I prefer physical over chemical agents, personally using a higher percentage of zinc oxide, in a moisturizer or as a separate step.

Good luck with your search!

Super Contributor

On 7/31/2014 F1wild said:

Although I don't use the brands you listed (PC & Skinn are super popular here), I do have a few suggestions. You don't have to worry about buying a whole new line of matching products. Use a good cleanser, anything from Cetaphil, CeraVe to a cleansing oil (which I use). The cleansing oils don't leave your skin oily, not at all. Find a good exfoliation product, whether physical or enzyme.

I'm a big fan of Retin A, available from a variety of sources.

The one thing you must add to your daily routine, especially if your interested in anti-aging, is UV protection. I prefer physical over chemical agents, personally using a higher percentage of zinc oxide, in a moisturizer or as a separate step.

Good luck with your search!

Yeah I actually got the rice enzyme powder and the dr. So and so cleansing oil which I do like (JeanLouisFinch told me)..but want more..thanks for the recs!