Honored Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice On-the-Go Shielding Powder

@SurferWife wrote:

@Porcelain Oh...well, that makes sense.

lol I was excited for a second too. Anaxibg? Oooh what's that? It does sound very effective.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

She means "amazing".

@Porcelain wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@Porcelain Oh...well, that makes sense.

lol I was excited for a second too. Anaxibg? Oooh what's that? It does sound very effective.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

This, and all such sunscreen powders, are good for touching up but don't rely on them alone as your sunscreen as they do NOT provide adequate protection. 

@Texasmouse   How do you know this? Were studies done? Just curious.

The description on PC's site says, "This weightless, brush-on loose powder lets you touch up and add to your sun protection anytime, anywhere--no need to wash off your makeup and start all over."

How to use says, "Apply evenly over a separate broad-spectrum sunscreen SPF 30+."

It sounds to me that one would have to apply a very thick coat of this powder by itself to get full SPF 30 protection.

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

This, and all such sunscreen powders, are good for touching up but don't rely on them alone as your sunscreen as they do NOT provide adequate protection. 

The description on PC's site says, "This weightless, brush-on loose powder lets you touch up and add to your sun protection anytime, anywhere--no need to wash off your makeup and start all over."

How to use says, "Apply evenly over a separate broad-spectrum sunscreen SPF 30+."

It sounds to me that one would have to apply a very thick coat of this powder by itself to get full SPF 30 protection.

Then I will stick with my Colorscience Sunforgettable SPF powder. Two passes of powder give complete protection. It's not thick. Water and sweat resistant too.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@SeaMaiden @Porcelain  I'm mostly going by what dermatologists have said and it makes sense. You can't achieve a solid layer of protection with a powder the way you can with a liquid or cream.  There are likely to be tiny "gaps" in the application of a powder.

Honored Contributor

Gaps and streaks in liquid application too. I get the most even application with powders. Powdered nano mineral sunscreen is not in common use anymore. So safety isn't an issue with a reputable brand.

Whatever formulation will get used properly and daily and with reapplication is the most effective. Any sunscreen that does not live up to its labeling (and all the special quasi medical requirements for sunscreen) cannot be sold because it is illegal. No responsible dermatologist would want a quest for texture perfection to prevent people from basic regular usage.