Trusted Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice New Eye Creme-FYI

I'm a huge fan of Paula's Choice products. I give them 100% credit for helping clear up my acne. That said, I have noticed the huge change in the company since it was sold. It seems like it's become a non-stop release of new items. I'm losing track of all of them since there are so many! As long as she never changes her original products, I'm fine with the line adding more. I'm sure the new owner did want to reach into the eye cream area since that's a market to make money in. Also, I'm sure even though Paula always said don't need eye cream that there have been a lot of people asking Paula's team to make one.
Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Paula's Choice products. I give them 100% credit for helping clear up my acne. That said, I have noticed the huge change in the company since it was sold. It seems like it's become a non-stop release of new items. I'm losing track of all of them since there are so many! As long as she never changes her original products, I'm fine with the line adding more. I'm sure the new owner did want to reach into the eye cream area since that's a market to make money in. Also, I'm sure even though Paula always said don't need eye cream that there have been a lot of people asking Paula's team to make one.

@FindingMyJoy you make some good points and you remind me that thanks to all of the new releases I have found a self tanner that I am crazy about.  Since that time, though, there have been rapid shot releases.  Whoever bought it has some serious $$ for  R&D and cosmetic formulators.  It takes about a year to get products to market so they've been banging away at these releases for quite some time.  

Of course, the new owners want to get into lucrative areas and there will always be a segment that will not believe a separate eye cream is not necessary.  In fact, I was never sold on that idea.  I think you need lighter oils and different actives.  But, it's not about my opinions on the eye area.  It's about PC's long held and vocal stance.  I think they may have made a marketing misstep on this one.  At least with long time customers it may chip at credibility.  It will give some a long awaited opportunity to pounce as well.  I have no dog in the fight and it perked my eyebrows a bit.  

Respected Contributor

Regardless of who owns the company the products are hers. Read her blog at the link below. Another inconsistency is stating in that blogs she only uses her products but had a video of other products she uses namely CLINIQUE Rinse-Off Eye Makeup Solvent

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Blogs/Why-I-Love-My-Paula-s-Choice-Skin-Perfecting-2-BHA-Liquid/ba-p/208...

Honored Contributor

I'm not buying ---and it's not because Paula (or whoever) seems to have changed her mind.  It's just that two or three years ago, I read something about eye creams that kind of backed up Paula's belief at that time. 

The gist of that article which I think was in Good Housekeeping but could have been elsewhere was that the only eye cream they tried that made a positive difference cost about $250.  All the rest worked no better than our regular moisturizers.

So - maybe the science has changed.  There's no reason science can't change and there's no reason our skin can't also since the environment keeps deteriorating, but I can't believe such an inexpensive cream is any better than my moisturizer, so I'm just going to keep my life as simple as I can.  To steal from Susan Graver - Life is complicated enough - skincare should be easy.

Valued Contributor

I have been using Paula's products for years and I think my skin is in great shape for my age.  I think she's probably offering an eye cream because customers have been clamoring for one.  I use her regular moisturizers under my eyes (per her instuctions) without any problems, but I think a lot of customers just have a hard time doing this.  We've been brainwashed to think we need something special under our eyes.  I think she's probably just going ahead and satisfying customer requests/demands.  I have a feeling she will explain herself by saying if you're satisfied using your regular moisturizer under your eyes, go ahead and keep doing what makes you happy.  On the other hand, if you feel you need something different, here's our offering without potentially harmful or needless ingredients.  That's my take.

Regular Contributor

AH HA!!!!!!!!  AH HA!

I KNEW something was very different from the changes and change in customer service quality lately.   I kept meaning to investigate if there are new owners, and thank you for letting me know.

Does anyone know if they're still being made in the US? Or what the future is? I know before, Paula was sourcing as many ingredients as possible from US manufacturers and putting them together in a US facility.  (So I was told repeatedly by customer service about 3 years ago.)  Anyone know what the latest is?

My one request for that line was to put the dates of production on the product and/or the box it came it, and to keep it in the US as much as possible. 

When did the sale take place? I hope the line continues to be 'factual' and science based and stays with the same principles that Paula started with.

Honored Contributor

@cerinthe wrote:

AH HA!!!!!!!!  AH HA!

I KNEW something was very different from the changes and change in customer service quality lately.   I kept meaning to investigate if there are new owners, and thank you for letting me know.

Does anyone know if they're still being made in the US? Or what the future is? I know before, Paula was sourcing as many ingredients as possible from US manufacturers and putting them together in a US facility.  (So I was told repeatedly by customer service about 3 years ago.)  Anyone know what the latest is?

My one request for that line was to put the dates of production on the product and/or the box it came it, and to keep it in the US as much as possible. 

When did the sale take place? I hope the line continues to be 'factual' and science based and stays with the same principles that Paula started with.

It sold in December of 2012. I think the goal is still to source as much as possible still in the US and, of course, keep it cruelty free. But who really knows what will happen in the future unless the sale included verbiage dealing with those specifics.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bella Carro wrote:

I haven't looked at the decks lately.  I've always had trouble with her products with 'cones high up in the deck.  The prices have climbed quite a bit and in a relatively short amount of time.  I love the BHA and AHA body moisturizers but it's about time to find an alternative.  The sunscreens are my favorites but one more price increase and I'll start looking around seriously.  I don't think I'll ever stop using the BHA and the AHA liquids, though.

I understand she is not calling the shots any longer but the eye cream reversal does seem like a big one.  I'm sure it won't matter to new customers and I'll bet that is a big focus.  I'm a fan but philosophical reversals without a good explanation will make me a little wary of whoever it is in charge and thereby the company.  

As for ingredients, almost any botanical, extracts, proteins, peptides, (actives) below 1% are tossed in simply to be able to say they are in there and most often serve no other purpose.  It will also drive up the price of the end product as additional raw materials.  Regardless of the line that is just the case.  

I guess I don't "get" this- if she doesn't own the company anymore and therefore doesn't call the shots, how is it a reversal on HER philosophical (I disagree with this descriptor too since it isn't necessarily a philosophy as it is based on scientific evidence and biological understanding of skin) view on eye creams? She may very well still not believe it is necessary but the owners couldn't care less as they want to capture the eye cream market. Unless she comes out and says she agrees that a separate eye cream is necessary now, I am not sure how one can assume how she feels on the subject and if she truly has done a reversal on her stance based on the fact that a company she no longer owns is making one?

The company who bought PC is all about growing the business and making more money and they are going to make decisions based on how much more $$ they can make, which includes making an eye cream to capture that market that- rightly or wrongly- thinks they NEED an eye cream for whatever reason. It is a smart business move by the company that recognizes the untapped market for PC's products.

But I am done on this topic, lol. It is getting just silly.

Regular Contributor

I don't get to these forums as often as I used to, (because you guys know and post EVERYTHING here and I love it!) so I'm glad I saw this... thank you everyone for discussing the ownership change and so on. Makes sense. I will stay vigilant before buying anything new there or automatically sending people there. Her line filled a huge gap in the marketplace and I hope it will continue to do so... thank you everyone for all the great information!

Contributor

I use a lot of PC products and really like them (and I've tried waaaaaay to many products to admit to Smiley Tongue). 

I have noticed that the company is changing quite a bit now that Paula is no longer in charge.  They have a lot more products and it is getting confusing to know which to buy....something Paula would mention in her reviews of other companies (Serious Skin Care). 

There's also crossover on some products....I think it is the BHA that is available in the Clear line, the Resist Line (and perhaps one other).  BUT...the Resist product, even though it is identical, is in a smaller bottle and costs more (I may be off on the product so don't shoot me).  There's a question in one of her FAQs about the product saying something like "it is identical, but people wanted that product available in the Resist line."  Um, that's where it gets confusing.  Just because the bottle says Resist vs. Clear doesn't change it and I start getting lost in deciding what to buy.

I liken the eye cream to Bare Minerals having a liquid foundation now.....bums me out a bit.

They do have great customer service though, so I hope that doesn't change.