Honored Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice New Eye Creme-FYI

@Lannie wrote:

I use some of her things, but am getting more discouraged as the prices have gone up a lot from what they used to be -more than what would be a normal raise in price.

She also has not remained true to her beliefs and concepts - the latest is the eye cream, also the number of ingredients in one cream. 'Everything but the kitchen sink, no need for 50 ingredients in a cream - no real benefits so far down the ingredient deck, just to say they have that ingredient in it.' I know she is not the owner, but she sure is the face of the company yet.

I was with her from the beginning, but it sure is sad to see someone compromise for the sake of the dollar.  She did not used to be like that.  She must have some say in it yet one would think.

Which products of hers are you referring to that have too many and/or needless ingredients?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I have been with Paula since the beginning of her very first book.  I'm disappointed she's coming out with an eye cream for the sake of money.  I know she's no longer the sole owner, but she certainly has an input.

I will not buy her eye cream.  What does she think, her followers are stupid?  I'm offended!!!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Lannie wrote:

I use some of her things, but am getting more discouraged as the prices have gone up a lot from what they used to be -more than what would be a normal raise in price.

She also has not remained true to her beliefs and concepts - the latest is the eye cream, also the number of ingredients in one cream. 'Everything but the kitchen sink, no need for 50 ingredients in a cream - no real benefits so far down the ingredient deck, just to say they have that ingredient in it.' I know she is not the owner, but she sure is the face of the company yet.

I was with her from the beginning, but it sure is sad to see someone compromise for the sake of the dollar.  She did not used to be like that.  She must have some say in it yet one would think.

Which products of hers are you referring to that have too many and/or needless ingredients?

Well, you can go look at her Resist Pure Radiance Skin Brightening Treatment and her Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment - they both have about 50 ingredients. Even her new very expensive Retinol Booster has almost 30 ingredients. Why are you asking me this?  

I just realized that I did not say needless ingredients, you did - they may be very good ingredients, just not enough of them as she herself used to say as I quoted above.

Honored Contributor

@Lannie wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Lannie wrote:

Well, you can go look at her Resist Pure Radiance Skin Brightening Treatment and her Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment - they both have about 50 ingredients. Even her new very expensive Retinol Booster has almost 30 ingredients. Why are you asking me this?  

I just realized that I did not say needless ingredients, you did - they may be very good ingredients, just not enough of them as she herself used to say as I quoted above.

I asked you only because I wanted to know the answer. It was not meant to be snarky in any way, shape, or form. I haven't bought much from her lately, only the BHA 2% this week.

Yes, I said "needless." It was my word to describe the criticisms you mention that she has lobbed at other companies without quoting you directly. I apologize if it wasn't apt.

The thing about looking at the ingredients in her products that differ from looking at other companies' lists is that she defines what each ingredient is and what purpose it serves.

So I would think that her response to the complaint that she is now throwing in everything but the kitchen sink would be that her chosen ingredients benefit the overall formula, as described by her in parens after each one.

Whether that is true or not I'll leave up to those more versed in this stuff than I. But I've had reasonably good luck with her products and still think that they are a good value for what they deliver.

Anyway, I truly meant no offense. I'm sorry if it sounded tht way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Wait.  You're offended because a large company is selling an eye cream?  This seems like a weird thing by which to be offended, but whatevs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My point was simple-for many years Paula preached that no one needed an extra cream for the eyes.

She strongly criticized companies for putting in so many ingredients in their creams because the farther down the ingredient deck the less of it and less effective, if at all, it would be because there was so little in there.

She also said the prices were outrageous for the cost of the ingredients. 

Now she's doing the same thing.

If anyone wants to know the number of ingredients in a product of hers that they are using they can simply go to her website and count them.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lannie wrote:

My point was simple-for many years Paula preached that no one needed an extra cream for the eyes.

She strongly criticized companies for putting in so many ingredients in their creams because the farther down the ingredient deck the less of it and less effective, if at all, it would be because there was so little in there.

She also said the prices were outrageous for the cost of the ingredients. 

Now she's doing the same thing.

If anyone wants to know the number of ingredients in a product of hers that they are using they can simply go to her website and count them.

Counting the number of ingredients and saying that the more there are the less effective they or the formula is, is a specious argument.  By this thinking, if there were only two ingredients, then the last one would be unnecessary and ineffective?

In any event, as @suzyQ3 mentioned in one her posts here, by looking up the ingredients in the PC ingredients dictionary on the website, you at very least are informed as to what each does. 

Edited to add: If Paula B or her team of experts made a remark on the number of ingredients, as you say, I am sure it was based on more than the counting of ingredients as such and was more detailed and not so simplified.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

Similar to Bare Minerals introducing a liquid foundation after Shishedo bought the company. Leslie swore for years that liquids were bad.

The consmetics industry is very competitive and I think product development is much more about sales and marketing than the "need" for products. PC prices have certainly been going up.

Honored Contributor

And my simple point was that you have to look at a particular product to see exactly what's in it and why.

For example, the new Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment has its most important ingredients in the first two-thirds of the deck, with the rest being ingredients to give deal with slip and texture and preservation.

Super Contributor

I agree that the new owner is probably behind it.  Perhaps it's for people who need a lot of moisture around the eye area - but not anywhere else?