Trusted Contributor

Paula's Choice - Mixing retinol serum & AHA?

My Paula's Choice TSV kit arrived last week.  I've talked about the texture of the retinol serum in a couple other posts and I finally got to test it out for msyelf.  I don't like the texture of it, but it sinks in pretty quickly so it's OK overall.  

Anyway, I wanted to talk about incorporating all my products with one another.  My usual nightly routine is to alternate nights with Resist Barrier Repair Moisturizer (retinol) and Resist 5% AHA moisturizer.  My skin really likes the AHA moisturizer.  Since I got my TSV kit I've been using the retinol serum every night.  I want to be done with that and get back on a normal rotating schedule.  

My question is should I use each product on different nights or can I use the retinol serum with my AHA moisturizer?  The kit directions said not to use the retinol serum with the retinol moisturizer, so I guess I won't be doing that.

Thanks for any advice. 

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice - Mixing retinol serum & AHA?

I can't find the answer in the FAQs section of either product (your AHA 5% treatment and the Retinol serum that was in the TSV).

I would call CS, tell them your type of skin and whether it's sensitive, and see what they say about using them at the same time.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't ordered the kit I want yet but doing research. I believe you can use them at the same time if your skin doesn't have issues. I talked to a representative and they said you can use the serum with the moisturizer for a extra boost.
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
I haven't ordered the kit I want yet but doing research. I believe you can use them at the same time if your skin doesn't have issues. I talked to a representative and they said you can use the serum with the moisturizer for a extra boost.

Just to be clear: The OP is asking about using her AHA treatment at the same time as the retinol serum in the TSV. It may indeed be fine, but I'd always advise asking first.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I would not use a retinol serum with an AHA moisturizer.

I did not order the TSV and did not understand why Paula and QVC included 2 retinol products and 2 BHA. I would not use the BHA with the retinol either.

Esteemed Contributor

The customer service lady told me I can use that moisturizer that came with the tsv kit and also the serum for a extra boost. But of course some people's skin may not beable to handle both.
Honored Contributor

I'm using a 20% glycolic leave-on treatment and then I apply Paula's 1% retinol...hope this is okay??...Woman Indifferent

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
The customer service lady told me I can use that moisturizer that came with the tsv kit and also the serum for a extra boost. But of course some people's skin may not beable to handle both.

Again, the OP's question is about an AHA product and the retinol serum. There was no AHA product in the TSV kit.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for your input, everyone!  It's most appreciated!

@suzyQ3  That's OK about the retinol serum & moisturizer answers.  I wasn't going to do it because the instructions said not to mix the two retinols.  I'm glad to see that some people have called customer service for advice in this area and that it's OK to do depending on skin type.  I've used the serum, which I understand has a higher perentage of retinol than the moisturizer, for 5 nights in a row and my skin was fine.  I guess I could mix the serum and the moisturizer if I was so inclined.  Thanks for all your posts.  Smiley Wink

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Trusted Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

My Paula's Choice TSV kit arrived last week.  I've talked about the texture of the retinol serum in a couple other posts and I finally got to test it out for msyelf.  I don't like the texture of it, but it sinks in pretty quickly so it's OK overall.  

Anyway, I wanted to talk about incorporating all my products with one another.  My usual nightly routine is to alternate nights with Resist Barrier Repair Moisturizer (retinol) and Resist 5% AHA moisturizer.  My skin really likes the AHA moisturizer.  Since I got my TSV kit I've been using the retinol serum every night.  I want to be done with that and get back on a normal rotating schedule.  

My question is should I use each product on different nights or can I use the retinol serum with my AHA moisturizer?  The kit directions said not to use the retinol serum with the retinol moisturizer, so I guess I won't be doing that.

Thanks for any advice. 

I haven't gotten mine yet but I currently have the AHA & I'm wondering how to use that in conjunction with the products in this kit. I love the Resist moisturizer but have never tried the serum or the BHA. I'll probably call PC when I get the kit & see what they suggest. I'll post their response if you're still looking for info.