Respected Contributor

Paula's Choice Clinical Retinol 1%

I have tried using this on my neck and chest.

I was using Serious Skin Care A Force, and just decided to make a change.

Another poster mentioned the same thing.  This has given me a raised, red, rash and intense itching, especially on my chest.  I use Retin-A and don't get this.

It has an alcohol scent.  I think something other than the retinol is causing this irritation.  I have stopped using it.

Just wanted to post this in case someone else notices it.  I don't have particularly sensitive skin either.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice Clinical Retinol 1%

I tried the Paula's Choice retinol when it first came to QVC.  I got a burning rash after the first use and sent it back ASAP.  It was a week before my complexion was back to normal.   I've used retinols for 15 years and never had that problem before so assumed it was another ingredient....?    I currently use a 2.5% retinol cream with no ill effects at all.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

I tried the Paula's Choice retinol when it first came to QVC.  I got a burning rash after the first use and sent it back ASAP.  It was a week before my complexion was back to normal.   I've used retinols for 15 years and never had that problem before so assumed it was another ingredient....?    I currently use a 2.5% retinol cream with no ill effects at all.

Do you buy the 2.5% retinol cream from Paula, tototwo?  Haven't had any break outs with the 1% but would like to try something stronger.

(love your name:it is so original, also the tea bag quote)

Honored Contributor

My very first experience with PC 1% was similar. First night I put it on straight out of the bottle and that night my skin was itching and red. I stopped and waited for a week only this time I mixed equal parts of moisturizer with it and applied it that way. Did it this way about every third night with minimal redness but some flaking. After about two months of every-3rd-night application, I stepped up to every other night with the same moisturizer mix.

It's been about a year now since I started using the 1%. I'm still mixing it with my moisturizer and using it every other night with no problems whatsoever. 

I did not start using it on my neck right away because I feared the worst might happen but since I knew already about the redness and itching, I started my neck routine with using it with moisturizer right from the start. In the beginning only once a week for the first month. Then every 3rd night on the second month. By the third month I was up to using it every other night with moisturizer and this is still what I do with no problems.

Regular Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

What is the brand name of the 2.5% retinol cream that you are using and happy with?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@espree and @HiLo - I've used Amara Organics 2.5% Retinol Cream every night for about a month.  I already ordered a second bottle. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I tried her retinol. I didn't get a rash, but it did nothing to help my skin. I use prescription strength Retin A with no issues. Btw I have oily acne prone over 50 skin. 

Frequent Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I tried her retinol. I didn't get a rash, but it did nothing to help my skin. I use prescription strength Retin A with no issues. Btw I have oily acne prone over 50 skin. 

My experience as well.  I now use this product exclusively on my neck until it is used up under a neck cream.  On my face I switch between a medical grade Retinol (Skinmedica, WOW!!!) And Retin A.  Holy grail for the p.m, , quality C for the a.m.  Then add in whatever else I wish into the mix.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My very first experience with PC 1% was similar. First night I put it on straight out of the bottle and that night my skin was itching and red. I stopped and waited for a week only this time I mixed equal parts of moisturizer with it and applied it that way. Did it this way about every third night with minimal redness but some flaking. After about two months of every-3rd-night application, I stepped up to every other night with the same moisturizer mix.

It's been about a year now since I started using the 1%. I'm still mixing it with my moisturizer and using it every other night with no problems whatsoever. 

I did not start using it on my neck right away because I feared the worst might happen but since I knew already about the redness and itching, I started my neck routine with using it with moisturizer right from the start. In the beginning only once a week for the first month. Then every 3rd night on the second month. By the third month I was up to using it every other night with moisturizer and this is still what I do with no problems.

@SilleeMee...thanks so much for sharing your experience. I had the exact same experience as the OP & stopped using it for a week. I now alternate it with by AHA at night (rather than using both on the same night), with better results, but I think I'll try mixing it with my moisturizer. I ❤ PC's products so I know I was over-using it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I'm happy to share my experiences @SurferWife. Thanks for your kind words.

I do the same thing as you with alternating the aha's and retinol. For me this seems to work the best on my skin and it doesn't appear to get flakey from the retinol. Boy, at one point in the beginning I thought the flaking would never stop! Now everything is great.

How long have you been using PC retinol?