Honored Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice 1% Retinol vs. Retin-A .05

There's a big difference between prescription Retin-A and the weaker Retinol. Both products need to go through certain conversions in order to become retinoic acid and be able to work with the skin. With Retinol, the conversion is much slower. Plus, there are other factors that could degrade the retinol by the time it does convert so in the end it's not terribly effective, unless the product has a very high concentration of Retinol to begin with. If this is the case, it can also have irritation side effects similar to Retin-A. Prescription Retin-A converts to retinoic acid more quickly than Retinol and is usually a more successful wrinkle treatment than Retinol.

http://www.smartskincare.com/smartchoices/myths/myth_retinol_retina.html

Valued Contributor

Here is the response from Paula's team:

Thank you for contacting us. We’re happy to help! Our Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment is similar to a prescription strength, but it will be more gentle. A prescription, due to the way the molecule works, will always be more aggressive and work faster than an over-the-counter retinol product. However, using the Clinical 1% daily would definitely provide fast and noticeable results pretty quickly. There are also a blend of other antioxidants that are not found in a prescription, all of which help with anti-aging concerns as well.

Honored Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Tsukiko said:

Thank you for contacting us. We’re happy to help! Our Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment is similar to a prescription strength, but it will be more gentle. A prescription, due to the way the molecule works, will always be more aggressive and work faster than an over-the-counter retinol product. However, using the Clinical 1% daily would definitely provide fast and noticeable results pretty quickly. There are also a blend of other antioxidants that are not found in a prescription, all of which help with anti-aging concerns as well.

thank you for sharing their response! I am thinking I may try her product as some point. Retinol/retin a are great for preventative measures and hers seem strong enough for that purpose, plus with the addition of the antioxidants, it seems even better. I like the fact that she is cruelty free too, which I am sure Rx strength retin a/tretenoin creams are not, which is important to me.

Super Contributor

I don't think they can comment on Retin A since it is a prescription only. They will only be able to speak to their own, over the counter products.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 HappyDaze said:

<p class="yiv1520715440MsoNormal">Thank you for contacting us. We’re happy to help! Our Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment is similar to a prescription strength, but it will be more gentle. A prescription, due to the way the molecule works, will always be more aggressive and work faster than an over-the-counter retinol product. However, using the Clinical 1% daily would definitely provide fast and noticeable results pretty quickly. There are also a blend of other antioxidants that are not found in a prescription, all of which help with anti-aging concerns as well.

thank you for sharing their response! I am thinking I may try her product as some point. Retinol/retin a are great for preventative measures and hers seem strong enough for that purpose, plus with the addition of the antioxidants, it seems even better. I like the fact that she is cruelty free too, which I am sure Rx strength retin a/tretenoin creams are not, which is important to me.

I wonder how the PC retinol compares to Peter Thomas Roth's 1% retinol.

Honored Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Debbie1426 said:
On 7/21/2014 HappyDaze said:

<p class="yiv1520715440MsoNormal">Thank you for contacting us. We’re happy to help! Our Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment is similar to a prescription strength, but it will be more gentle. A prescription, due to the way the molecule works, will always be more aggressive and work faster than an over-the-counter retinol product. However, using the Clinical 1% daily would definitely provide fast and noticeable results pretty quickly. There are also a blend of other antioxidants that are not found in a prescription, all of which help with anti-aging concerns as well.

I wonder how the PC retinol compares to Peter Thomas Roth's 1% retinol.

I don't know- maybe someone who has tried both will chime in?