Honored Contributor

Re: Patch Test - for sensitivities or allergies to skin and hair products

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@VaBelle35

I have had it done twice.  Ugh!  I started with the allergist, then went to the dermatologist, and finally went for the Holy Grail of tests at Hopkins.  I think the derm's test was like 29 allergens, and at Hopkins it was almost 100.

I was hoping for more "bang" for my buck.  There were only three things that popped up, and I had a reaction to the adhesive, so it was a long week.  Like you, I struggle without the allergy meds, so to go off them and only get three hits was a bit disappointing.

Personally, I feel that there are things I am allergic to, enough to give me contact dermatitis, but they don't test for those ingredients.

Mostly I stay away from things that have "herbal", "botanical", "essential oils" and "fragrance."

I hope you get your answers, but know that not everything is "testable".

Yup. Recently I was tested because I was having horrible nasal problems. I tested negative to everything. The allergist said that I have non-allergic nasal rhinitis, which simply means that certain elements in my environment act as irritants rather than allergens.

I'm sure the very same idea accounts for many skin reactions as well. I had contact dermatitis to one of my perfumes. It was so obvious because the rash showed up in exactly the places where I would spritz.

My ENT said something similar.  Sometimes your nose just runs and it's not related to polyps, allergies (environment or food).

:*(

Right. But my allergist said that something is acting as an irritant. Since there's no way of knowing exactly what that might be or what they might be if plural, the only thing to do is to treat the symptoms.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I should add that this was a whole heck of a lot more than just a runny nose. It was so bad that any sleep I could get would be sitting up, and some days I really couldn't function very well because of the constant need to blow my nose, which btw increases the need to keep blowing. It actually became painful.

Thank goodness for moderm medicine. But besides my drops, I do use a saline rinse dealie every day, per the advice of my allergist.

I hope you get relief for you problem, @VaBelle35

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Thanks.

I also use a rinse.  I use the NeilMed Sinurinse stuff.  It's a huge help.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN