Honored Contributor

Re: Parent corporation of Laura Geller, Julep, Clark's Botanicals files for chapter 11 bankruptcy

I read, in the Seattle Times yesterday that Julep is closing down all their stores....so a I think they are going out of business.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Parent corporation of Laura Geller, Julep, Clark's Botanicals files for chapter 11 bankruptcy

@TY wrote:

@Bhvbum

@Sweet_Serenity

I am kind of surprised that the brands are not doing very well. All three brands, Laura Geller, Julep, and Clark's Botanicals are sold on QVC.

Laura Geller isn't sold in Canada on The Shopping Channel nor in regular bricks and mortar stores. I only see the occasional Laura Geller item at T.J. Maxx or Marshalls in the U.S. or Winners in Canada. I don't think I've seen Julep or Clark's Botanicals at Winners.

I was surprised to see 3 Laura Geller gift sets that were sold throughout 2016 this holiday season at Winners as I almost never see any Laura Geller items the rest of the year here. But financial problems would easily explain why I'm seeing gift sets that were sold two and nearly 3 years ago in the U.S. as Laura Geller must have had a lot of old inventory to unload so they likely were sold to TJX the corporate parent of T.J. Maxx, Marshalls and Winners. I even saw one of the kits with a TSV sticker on the back of the box and this kit was an exclusive to QVC.

@TY

My Ulta store has the full Laura Geller line - all new items, constantly re-stocked.  I'm in the southern US, not Canada. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I looked at the Seattle Times article here:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/retail/seattle-beauty-company-julep-laying-off-102-employees-a...

and you are right, Julep will be laying off their Seattle staff and closing their Seattle HQ and transfering some jobs to NYC. But what I found interesting was that Julep was fined 3 million dollars by the Washington state's attorney general's office for deceptive marketing practices 2 years ago as people couldn't easily cancel their Julep subscription beauty boxes. That amount would likely put a hefty dent into the company bottom line.

Esteemed Contributor

Another article about the parent company Glansaol's troubles:

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/wwd-digital-daily/20181221/281479277523470

The Road to Chapter 11