@juperier wrote:

This seems to be a good place to share this link about the "dangers of water."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5GHOWleQI&feature=player_embedded

Woman LOLLOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Parabens, are explanation from a scientist

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Yes, this is what Paula Begoun has been saying all along with many other drs/scientists saying the same. It is a shame at it really reminds me of the autism/vaccine debate. Some people will read a story on Facebook or Natural News though and take it for fact. I really wish people would realize that Natural News is full of bunk science.

It drives me crazy.

Like petrolatum.  Yeah it might not be an expensive ingredient and maybe someone doesn't want to put it on their face but it drives me nuts when I hear some of the crazy things said about it.

Just the other day when Josie Maran was on, she talked about her products being petrolatum free and then went on to say that petrolatum is the gunk they pull out of machines and stuff.  Whaaaaat?   

Super Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Yes, this is what Paula Begoun has been saying all along with many other drs/scientists saying the same. It is a shame at it really reminds me of the autism/vaccine debate. Some people will read a story on Facebook or Natural News though and take it for fact. I really wish people would realize that Natural News is full of bunk science.

It drives me crazy.

Like petrolatum.  Yeah it might not be an expensive ingredient and maybe someone doesn't want to put it on their face but it drives me nuts when I hear some of the crazy things said about it.

Just the other day when Josie Maran was on, she talked about her products being petrolatum free and then went on to say that petrolatum is the gunk they pull out of machines and stuff.  Whaaaaat?   

This is actually the origin of petrolatum, but yeahhhh she's kind of fancied it up a bit. That being said, I did read somewhere (and of course I can't cite the source ...sorry!) that you should be careful of where your petroleum jelly comes with respect to contamination. But then maybe Vaseline's fancied up a few stories themselves Smiley Very Happy

Yes that dreaded chemical, water. You have to watch that stuff Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Parabens, an explanation from a scientist

@Shelbelle wrote:

Manuela from Isomers, also a scientist, has said all along there is nothing wrong with parabens, but was avoiding them in order to please her customers.

I think that's what a lot of people do, Unfortunately, it just feeds and validates the fear.

Not including parabens isn't a bad thing, but if it perpetuates misinformation, then I think it's a problem. I'm glad she explains it for what it is, though. Most companies don't bother.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

It drives me crazy.

Well, that part really is true. That just doesn't mean it's bad for you. Smiley Happy

Here's a bit of the history of petroleum jelly, petrolatum, from Mental_floss:

Vaseline was the brainchild of England-born, Brooklyn-raised chemist Robert Chesebrough. In 1859, at the tender age of 22, Chesebrough decided to turn his back on his father's dry goods business and seek his fortune in the nascent oil industry. Young Chesebrough made his way down to Titusville, Pennsylvania, to check out a working oil well. While there, however, Chesebrough made a rather different discovery: At the time, men working on oil rigs were plagued by what they called "rod wax," a kind of gooey jelly that would get into machinery and cause it to seize up. But rod wax wasn't all bad: Chesebrough, clearly a very observant guy, noticed that the workers often smeared the substance on burns and rough skin and that it appeared to help in the healing process. Intrigued, he brought a bit of the stuff home.

Chesebrough spent the next 10 years experimenting on it—and himself.

With his background as a chemist, Chesebrough ultimately refined the rod wax down to the clear, smeary petroleum jelly we now know today. All the while, he was supposedly using himself as a guinea pig and applying the goo to self-inflicted wounds to track their healing process.

Source: http://mentalfloss.com/article/25556/vaseline-miracle-jelly-turns-140

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

It drives me crazy.

Well, that part really is true. That just doesn't mean it's bad for you. Smiley Happy

Here's a bit of the history of petroleum jelly, petrolatum, from Mental_floss:

Vaseline was the brainchild of England-born, Brooklyn-raised chemist Robert Chesebrough. In 1859, at the tender age of 22, Chesebrough decided to turn his back on his father's dry goods business and seek his fortune in the nascent oil industry. Young Chesebrough made his way down to Titusville, Pennsylvania, to check out a working oil well. While there, however, Chesebrough made a rather different discovery: At the time, men working on oil rigs were plagued by what they called "rod wax," a kind of gooey jelly that would get into machinery and cause it to seize up. But rod wax wasn't all bad: Chesebrough, clearly a very observant guy, noticed that the workers often smeared the substance on burns and rough skin and that it appeared to help in the healing process. Intrigued, he brought a bit of the stuff home.

Chesebrough spent the next 10 years experimenting on it—and himself.

With his background as a chemist, Chesebrough ultimately refined the rod wax down to the clear, smeary petroleum jelly we now know today. All the while, he was supposedly using himself as a guinea pig and applying the goo to self-inflicted wounds to track their healing process.

Source: http://mentalfloss.com/article/25556/vaseline-miracle-jelly-turns-140

Ah, but this isn't as much fun as allowing gullible people to think that somebody just pulls some dirty stuff out of a machine.

But the scary thing is the possibility that JM believes that. She is a beautiful woman who spouts nonsense quite often.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

And Chesebrough-Ponds is still using petroleum in most of their products today, not to my liking.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While parabens may be a topic of much debate, it is only one of many petrochemicals that seems to be the most popular of them all. Some of the other petrochemicals, imo, deserve a closer look and this will again start wildfires in the world of skincare.

Here are some of the petrochemicals used in skincare products:

Propylene Glycol, Petrolatum, paraffin, Mineral oil, Anything with Methyl, Propyl, Butyl prefix. benzene, Toluene.
PolyEthylene Glycol or PEG family: PEG-100 Stearate, PEG-8, PEG-80, Cocoate, Peroleate andPEG 15 Soyamide/IPDI Copolymer.
Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA) family: Lauramide DEA, Cocamide DEA, Cocamide MEA, DEA- Cetyl Phosphate, DEA Oleth-3 Phosphate, Linoleamide MEA, Myristamide DEA, Stearamide MEA, and TEA-Lauryl Sulfate.
Paraben family: Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben and Butylparaben preservatives.
Carbomer & Carbopol – petroleum derived thickeners.
Sodium Laureth Sulphate, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Lauryl Glucoside, Coco-Betaine, are all made using petrochemicals.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

While parabens may be a topic of much debate, it is only one of many petrochemicals that seems to be the most popular of them all. Some of the other petrochemicals, imo, deserve a closer look and this will again start wildfires in the world of skincare.

Parabens are not petrochemicals.

And petrochemicals have undergone scrutiny for quite some time now. Still no evidence that those used in personal products are in any way harmful.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Ah, but this isn't as much fun as allowing gullible people to think that somebody just pulls some dirty stuff out of a machine.

But the scary thing is the possibility that JM believes that. She is a beautiful woman who spouts nonsense quite often.

Yes, she does. I cannot believe some of the things she gets away with, honestly. I have nothing against Josie and often speak up for her when people bash her for her looks, clothing, etc but I cringe when I hear her make statements that are definiately not true and if you have even the slightest knowledge of biology and chemistry, you'd know it wasn't possible or true. I think it is dangerous and irresponnsible and am surprised at how much exaggeration and flat out lies QVC allows from her. Remember the email QVC sent out to all those that ordered the Argan Milk letting them no,  you cannot DRINK it even though the spokesperson (Josie) implied you could and then they credited those that ordered it in case they ordered it thinking it can be consumed? There was another incident like that too but I can't remember all the details. I don't know of any other vendor who QVC has to send out emails clarifying statements made by a vendor after a demo. smh.