Honored Contributor

Re: Pairing Down Skincare for the Summer?

I don't do anything differently in the summer with my skincare as opposed to the winter.  My skin really doesn't change much with the seasons.

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:
Nananana59, I am so sorry you have this burden. Chronic pain sucks the life right out of you. My arthritis pain is probably not as bad as yours but have you ever tried neurontin for your pain? As the name implies it is mostly for nerve pain, which I also have. But it also greatly reduces my overall body pain and arthritis pain in my hands. It's not a medication you just take as needed. It has to build up and stay in your system. The arthritis in my lower back ruled my life until I finally stopped being so stubborn and started taking it. I'm sure you've tried everything but just in case you never had the need for a nerve pain medication this might be something you would want to consider.

thank you for taking the time to suggest something that might help me with my pain....i appreciate it...and will do some research.....

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 

Are you asking about the Neurontin?  No, it's prescription.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@panda1234 

Are you asking about the Neurontin?  No, it's prescription.

@monicakm   Neurontin is NOT an anti-inflammatory med. It is an Anti-Convulsant developed for seizure disorders.  This drug under-performed in that class (anti-convulsants) so when Parke Davis (div of Warner Lambert) was absorbed by Pfizer, Pfizer pushed it "off label" for an array of maladies, providing $$$$ perks to doctors prescribing it.   i had been given Neurontin as an adjuct therapy for depression. My doctor would only write for the branded version. i always asked why can't i get the generic?   he always refused. he was getting kick-backs. turns out Pfizer was sued big-time, close a half billion $$ for a rigged marketing scheme. (google for full story)

i stopped Neurontin on my own. i had started having a wierd side effect with this drug similar to TD. THANKFULLY this wierd side effect stopped!!

i would NEVER recommend this drug to anyone!

@nana59 

@panda1234 

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline 

What kind of weird side effects did you have?  Was it hard to get off of it?

I didn't say it was an anti-inflammatory.  I said it often prescribed for nerve pain (I have neuropathy in my hands) but it also works on pain in other parts of my body like my lower back.  It's a prescription.  She can't go out and get it on her own.  Her Dr will talk to her about it if she's interested.  Why was it given to you for depression?  It's an anti-convulsant developed for seizure disorders.

I take the generic, gabapentin. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but just because you had a bad experience and a bad Dr doesn't mean everyone will/does.  I don't know what TD is.  I would like to get off this med and every other med I'm on.  I hate medication and often will do myself more harm buy not taking a drug but I literally wouldn't be able to move without Neurotin.  I had to take an extra pill today.  It's been a bad pain day and my normal two pills just wasn't working today.  

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@CatsyCline 

I didn't say it was an anti-inflammatory.  I said it often prescribed for nerve pain (I have neuropathy in my hands) but it also works on pain in other parts of my body like my lower back.  It's a prescription.  She can't go out and get it on her own.  Her Dr will talk to her about it if she's interested.  Why was it given to you for depression?  It's an anti-convulsant developed for seizure disorders.

I take the generic, gabapentin. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but just because you had a bad experience and a bad Dr doesn't mean everyone will/does.  I don't know what TD is.  I would like to get off this med and every other med I'm on.  I hate medication and often will do myself more harm buy not taking a drug but I literally wouldn't be able to move without Neurotin.  I had to take an extra pill today.  It's been a bad pain day and my normal two pills just wasn't working today.  

@monicakm 

TD is Tardive Dyskinesia. Uncontrollable muscle movements.  i had wierd facial movements and jaw movements. my jaw would move around oddly like constant grimaces. they became difficult to control. they happened mostly at night when i had insomnia.  i used to take 3 brown capsules.  i just eliminated one of the caps each week until i was off them, took about 3 weeks. honestly felt no different once off them, but the grimacing stopped. PTL!!  thankfully it wasnt permanent! i was on this med for at least 2 yrs.

My doctor gave it to me in addition to anti-depressant meds because i had anxiety and he said it would help, well it really did not help.  as i mentioned, the drug company was stuck with a med that wasnt generating revenue so they came up with a scheme to push the med for "off-label" use.  their sales people pushed the med to doctors and psychiatrists giving them incentives if they wrote Rx for the branded "Neurontin". with me the dr said oh take this it will help w depression and anxiety when in fact it is a seizure med. i readily took this drs advice at the time. After that he tried to get me to take other more expensive meds, and i refused and found another dr.

((hugs)) hope your pain can be managed somehow,  there are other meds have you tried  Lyrica?

Honored Contributor

My skin care is the same throughout the year.  During winter I may use less Retin A when my skin gets dry, but other than that, no changes.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline 

Lyrica was one of the first meds I took for FM and MS.  Can't take it.  It worked great for about a week or less and then caused MAJOR swelling of legs, hands and feet.  Even prescription strength Ibuprofen does the same.  

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

I'm not using the heavy Tatcha Dewy Night Cream right now.  It just seemed like it was too heavy so I'm using ColourPop's Oat Milk instead.  Instead of waking up greasy, I wake up with a face that feels plump and dewy (but not greasy).  Just wish the Oat Milk had a fragrance.  I'd love for it to smell like a bowl of oats and milk Smiley Happy  I think I'm in the minority liking fragrace in my face products.