Contributor

Painful blind pimples from philosophy?

I recently purchased and have been using philosophy's micro delivery overnight anti-aging peel for about two weeks now.  I am in my 40s and have good skin. Even as a teenager I did not have breakouts. In the past two weeks I have had two large, painful blind pimples on my chin and now one on my nose! I have to assume this is from the philosophy. Did this happen to anyone else? I guess I'm going to have to return it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Painful blind pimples from philosophy?

I have to ask, what are blind pimples, never heard that before.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I wondered the same thing, so I googled it to see if it was an actual description. And it is. It's a deep and painful pimple with no head to it. I'm not sure, though, how or even if it differs from cystic acne.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Based on my own experience and your age (you said you were in your 40s), and if you mean painful red bumps that both look and feel bad but don't seem like teenage acne, I'd say you should visit a dermatologist  about a suspected case of "adult onset acne".

This might have more to do with the stage of life that your hormones are reacting to than to any external product you're using on your face.

I always had perfect skin until I hit the pre-meno phase of life and then all hell broke loose.

Unfortunately, I am severely allergic to the very type of antibiotic that doctors prescribe for the condition (a type of "cycline" drug), so I had little recourse.  I found while taking another type antibiotic for another reason that my face cleared up instantly and begged the doctor to keep prescribing it for my face, but she declined, saying (and these days I know she was right) that one should not take any drug like that for an extended time.

What SEEMED to work for me in controlling the problem was Serious Skin Care's Vitamin C serum, which I used for years.  I've run out and have not bought any more, but now I'm in my 60s and the hormonal thing is probably just gone by now.  I don't know whether it was the serum or just time, but you might find the problem passes after a while.  Until then, rely on a dermatologist and maybe an internist to get your hormones checked.

Good luck.  I know how badly you feel.

Honored Contributor

How often are you using this product?

Trusted Contributor

I always called those undergrounders LOL

Sorry OP I have no clue if the philosophy is the cause.

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I wondered the same thing, so I googled it to see if it was an actual description. And it is. It's a deep and painful pimple with no head to it. I'm not sure, though, how or even if it differs from cystic acne.

Regular Contributor

I never use Philosophy .... their 'purity' reference is hype.

Activator Gel: Aqua/Water/Eau, Lactic Acid, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Salicylic Acid, Linoleamidopropyl Pg-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Polyquaternium-10. Vitamin C Peel: Peg-6, Sodium Bicarbonate, Oleth-20, Glyceryl Stearate Se, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Beta-Carotene, Retinyl Palmitate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Parfum/Fragrance, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Tribehenin, Sorbitan Isostearate, Limonene, BHT.

Super Contributor

I have tried a couple of times over the course of 5 years to use Purity Made Simple cleanser and had the same reaction as the OP. Painful, large pimples. Finally came to realize that that particular product was not going to work for me no matter what. I can use other Philosophy facial products (Micro Delivery face scrub, moisturizers) but cannot use the cleanser at all. 

Honored Contributor

Definitely stop using it and see what happens but wait at least 3 to 4 weeks.  Let the under skin bumps clear up first.  It could be that product or something you ate or hormones but start with eliminating the product.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Yes, IMO, that type of "blind/undergrounder" type eruption could very well be caused by an ingredient or combo of ingriendents in the Philosophy product.

I had the same kind of reaction when I tried the peel pads by Dr. Denese several years ago.  Quit using and see if the blemishes will clear on their own.  If not, I'd consult a derm or try an OTC type acne product. My 40s and 50s were very active hormonal acne years for me unfortunately.

What works for me is Buzz on Acne (BOA) which I order from Buzz on Health dot com.  I've been using it for years now.  Just had my BOA 6th anniversary earlier this month.  No more zits for me ever!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~