Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

I'm having the hardest time making a slightly shimmer eyeshadow work on the eyelid. It just doesn't look good on me, no matter what the shade is. Matte looks dull. I've tried the eyeshadow sticks and like the colors, but find I can't get the right look with any shimmer. Any advice?

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@Shanus 

I'm having the hardest time making a slightly shimmer eyeshadow work on the eyelid. It just doesn't look good on me, no matter what the shade is. Matte looks dull. I've tried the eyeshadow sticks and like the colors, but find I can't get the right look with any shimmer. Any advice?

@Effie54 Good morning. If you prefer shadow sticks, begin with a matte neutral color (waterproof) and use that as a base. You can apply the shimmer shade just to the center of the lid...over the pupil. Another look is matte all over the lid and a lighter/brighter shimmer shade on the inner 1/3.

For powder shadows, a primer is best. I set it with a light toned shadow in the palette. Then you can add shimmer shadow.

If your lids have wrinkles, cream shadows in a stick are best,  but shimmers will sometimes accentuate "loose" skin on the eye lid. 

Check youtube for tutorials on shadow placement. There's usually products and shades listed if you find a look you like. 

***Shimmer shadows in a stick do best if they have something to adhere to like another matte stick or a lid primer. 

Are you not achieving this look because of placement or shade selection?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paging Shanus

[ Edited ]

@Effie54  Hope you do not mind my interjection....

What you described may have something to do with your overall eye shape...? If so, shimmer seems best suited to the very center of the eyelid, and really just a touch - or even at the eye line. Once you have shimmer over the crease, it will bring the crease forward, which will not be flattering to certain eye shapes. Or, I should say, even more forward.

Think Judy Garland, where above her crease protrudes a bit....

That's the part that needs a more matt look...to make that protrusion recede or look softer.

I don't know if that is your issue, or not.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@Shanus 

@Effie54 Good morning. If you prefer shadow sticks, begin with a matte neutral color (waterproof) and use that as a base. You can apply the shimmer shade just to the center of the lid...over the pupil. Another look is matte all over the lid and a lighter/brighter shimmer shade on the inner 1/3.

For powder shadows, a primer is best. I set it with a light toned shadow in the palette. Then you can add shimmer shadow.

If your lids have wrinkles, cream shadows in a stick are best,  but shimmers will sometimes accentuate "loose" skin on the eye lid. 

Check youtube for tutorials on shadow placement. There's usually products and shades listed if you find a look you like. 

***Shimmer shadows in a stick do best if they have something to adhere to like another matte stick or a lid primer. 

Are you not achieving this look because of placement or shade selection?

Hi Shanus!

I think it's more of too much shimmer on the lid. So far, I don't have loose eyelids or crepey eyelids. You've given me some great pointers. I think I was just covering the entire play the area with shimmer. And I have large eyes, so it kind of noticeable. I used to have so much fall out from dry, powder, eyeshadows, that I switched the sticks. I just purchased the IT cosmetic sticks and like them a lot. I definitely see what you're saying about adding shimmer into part of the lid over the pupil, or in the inner corner. That's a good idea. I did use a primer. I also feel that the eyeshadow sticks stay put vs. the powder, which fade or just disappear after a few hours. Good idea about setting the stick with a like-color (lightly applied) powder shadow for staying power all day. You've given me some great pointers. Thank you so much! I appreciate your advice! 💖

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@Effie54  Hope you do not mind my interjection....

What you described may have something to do with your overall eye shape...? If so, shimmer seems best suited to the very center of the eyelid, and really just a touch - or even at the eye line. Once you have shimmer over the crease, it will bring the crease forward, which will not be flattering to certain eye shapes. Or, I should say, even more forward.

Think Judy Garland, where above her crease protrudes a bit....

That's the part that needs a more matt look...to make that protrusion recede or look softer.

I don't know if that is your issue, or not.

Yes, exactly. As I was mentioning to Shanus, I think my problem was that I put the shimmer all over the lid. And I have large ice, so that was a lot of shimmer. Lol. That's a great picture you posted. Thank you for your input! 💖

Honored Contributor

@Effie54   You're so welcome. Have fun playing. I love to try new looks at night before removing makeup...nothing lost/nothing gained. It's time to wash the day off anyway, right?

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Effie54   You're so welcome. Have fun playing. I love to try new looks at night before removing makeup...nothing lost/nothing gained. It's time to wash the day off anyway, right?

Oh yes, exactly! I've learned that I have to do a trial run on make up, as well as hair if there's a special occasion. Makeup removal is very important as well. Thank you again for your help! 💖