Esteemed Contributor

Paging Shanus (re: jewelry Q)

@Shanus 

Can I please draw upon your jewelry expertise...

Is there a way to loosen a crystal from an earring? The same size crystal fell out of a drop of another earring that I would like to replace.

I'm wondering if my DH can fix this for me, since I would like to wear the drops on Saturday.

I can't find the loose crystal anywhere! These are both Nolan Miller earrings. I know I can send it to the company for repair...I've done that before, but that would take a couple of weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Paging Shanus (re: jewelry Q)

@Harpa wrote:

@Shanus 

Can I please draw upon your jewelry expertise...

Is there a way to loosen a crystal from an earring? The same size crystal fell out of a drop of another earring that I would like to replace.

I'm wondering if my DH can fix this for me, since I would like to wear the drops on Saturday.

I can't find the loose crystal anywhere! These are both Nolan Miller earrings. I know I can send it to the company for repair...I've done that before, but that would take a couple of weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

@Harpa   Good morning. If the crystal that fell out was bezel set, a new one can be glued in w/ a craft glue called GOOP which holds metal to anything...quite strong. If it was prong set, it depends how strong the metal prongs were made. If DH bends them out slightly, just enough to fit in another crystal (jewelry pliers w/ small rounded ends essential...available at Michael's, craft stores) & carefully bend them back in to hold stone. If possible, I'd also use a drop of that glue on a toothpick at the base of each prong before placing it in to hold the stone in case DH can't bend the prongs back tight enough. Beware that in the case of a prong setting, base metal can either be too strong to bend or too thin & bend or break when you try to move them w/ pliers. Grab the prongs w/ pliers from the base of the prong. Most likely stronger there. Good luck, Hubby. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you!!!

Yes, both bezel set! (no open backs) DH has a wealth of instruments for fine work.

The problem is, I need to get the crystal out of the one setting so that DH can glue it in the drop. I read where you can apply acetone to loosen the stone. And that you can even soak it in the acetone. (If I soak it, the other stones will all come out, I guess.)

I don't care too much about that earring, though, I've hardly ever worn them.

Is there another way he can prod out the glued in crystal?

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

Thank you!!!

Yes, both bezel set! (no open backs) DH has a wealth of instruments for fine work.

The problem is, I need to get the crystal out of the one setting so that DH can glue it in the drop. I read where you can apply acetone to loosen the stone. And that you can even soak it in the acetone. (If I soak it, the other stones will all come out, I guess.)

I don't care too much about that earring, though, I've hardly ever worn them.

Is there another way he can prod out the glued in crystal?

@Harpa   The way I set a bezel stone (& other jewelers if "real" jewelry) is to drill a tiny hole in bottom of bezel before setting stone, so a small instrument can be put in that hole to pop the stone out. Glue is not used to hold a stone in fine jewelry. If it's only the drop that needs to be replaced, can that portion be isolated by maybe hanging it over a tiny glass bowl and acetone on q tip carefully be dropped into area between stone & bezel? Be aware that acetone or any solvent could cloud or dissolve the crystal, too. A tiny place at the edge of the bezel can be carefully crimped back (like a cupcake paper) just enough to drop in acetone to dissolve any glue (later bend back in), wash out carefully using baking soda/water solution to neutralize the acetone, rinse carefully and allow to dry before trying to put glue and replace stone. Any remaining acetone will keep glue from holding. Let me know how it goes. Sounds like lots of effort. Unless you're so in love w/ earrings and/or expensive, I'd brave the Christmas crowds and find another pair of drop earrings you love as much. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa   Kenneth J. Lane has a site w/ gorgeous "CZ" & crystal drop earrings on sale for holidays. The same is true for Bauble Bar, Nordstrom and most dept. stores and discount stores. I'd look for another pair of earrings and save Hubby many hours of work that could end badly.

Shanus

***I saw "beauties" at TJ Maxx, SteinMart, even DSW (has jewelry now), Kohl's and Macy's. We have Belk's and Dillard's with beautiful costume jewelry...most on sale now so close to holidays.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Harpa   The way I set a bezel stone (& other jewelers if "real" jewelry) is to drill a tiny hole in bottom of bezel before setting stone, so a small instrument can be put in that hole to pop the stone out. Glue is not used to hold a stone in fine jewelry. If it's only the drop that needs to be replaced, can that portion be isolated by maybe hanging it over a tiny glass bowl and acetone on q tip carefully be dropped into area between stone & bezel? Be aware that acetone or any solvent could cloud or dissolve the crystal, too. A tiny place at the edge of the bezel can be carefully crimped back (like a cupcake paper) just enough to drop in acetone to dissolve any glue (later bend back in), wash out carefully using baking soda/water solution to neutralize the acetone, rinse carefully and allow to dry before trying to put glue and replace stone. Any remaining acetone will keep glue from holding. Let me know how it goes. Sounds like lots of effort. Unless you're so in love w/ earrings and/or expensive, I'd brave the Christmas crowds and find another pair of drop earrings you love as much. 

Oh @Shanus , thank you so much!! If the acetone alone doesn't work, the tiny hole will! And I know he has all the tools! Thank you for telling me about the rinsing, too!

Yeah, good excuse to get another pair of earrings!!

But last night I was rifling through the standing jewelry box and finding earrings I had forgotten I had.

These NM earrings are one of my beloved ones -- I wear the studs quite a lot. Midnight blue stone & clears in the stud, and larger one, and 2 marquise clear in the drop. It's one of the marquise clear that I lost. No, it has to be these!

Lucky for me, DH is up for the challenge! Really, not taxing effort on his part. He does fine work like that all the time.

You are so very sweet!! Thank you so much!!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa   So anxious to hear if I have competition with your DH. Keep in touch. Page me @Shanus

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

From what I understand, you are a jewelry designer! My DH cannot compete with that!

I had to go out to buy the acetone. Then I soaked the earring with the marquise stone I wanted. It worked! I was able to prod that one stone out. So all DH has to do now is glue it in its new setting.

Thank you again, dear Lady!!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@Shanus 

From what I understand, you are a jewelry designer! My DH cannot compete with that!

I had to go out to buy the acetone. Then I soaked the earring with the marquise stone I wanted. It worked! I was able to prod that one stone out. So all DH has to do now is glue it in its new setting.

@Harpa   I'm a jewelry designer and make jewelry in my home studio....I'm so happy that DH was able to fix your earring. Have a great special evening out! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Shanus 

@Harpa   I'm a jewelry designer and make jewelry in my home studio....I'm so happy that DH was able to fix your earring. Have a great special evening out! 

Yes, I remember you saying that! How special that is!

DH is home today and just went to do the glueing. He said he had to do surface grain electronics, where he had to work under a 10x microscope on things smaller than a grain of salt. He said he even has those drills for fine work like that. His shop is very interesting, though I don't use his tools that much.

But jewelry designer, he ain't! (Bless his heart!!)

Bless yours, too!!

eta: I'm afraid it's gone to his head! Now he wants to be called Louis Cartier!