Super Contributor
On 6/22/2014 wackers said:

Maestra - I thought you might not object if I also responded to this just due to my knowledge of how Vit C and hydroquinone are used here locally. Just adding on to Kat's info. Due to the climate here, coupled with a higher than average % of melasma sufferers, many local dermatologists actually create their own formulas to help treat and prevent melasma, among other skin issues. Almost all of these formulas contain each doctor's proprietary mix of Vit C, hydroquinone and retina A. These work well on melasma, age spots and various other types of skin discolorations.

When you asked how to use them, I thought sharing with you that often these ingredients are combined into one cream might help you determine how you wanted to apply them. I don't think any waiting time is actually necessary but personally, just based on the very different consistencies of these two products, I think you'll get better results from using Vit C first then follow that (once the C absorbs which usually doesn't not take more than 5 or so minutes) with the hydroquinone. Vit C is usually a very thin serum, sometimes almost like watery, so that makes sense to be applied first, then apply the hydroquinone, which is typically in a cream based delivery system. The old rule of thinnest to thickest applies well here.

You will also benefit from the Vit C in additional ways - it helps in collagen building, is particularly effective in helping sunscreen perform better plus it's overall ability in fighting free radical damage (many of the other offenders within our environment.)

Hope you didn't mind my joining in - I just thought it might give you some additional knowledge about both these exceptional "crime fighters for the skin."

Thank you wackers. My instructions on the benoquin said to use first but maybe that was written before we started really getting into serums. BTW the ASDM Vit C is not too watery but that may be the other ingredients that are in it.

Super Contributor
On 6/22/2014 Katluvr58 said:
On 6/22/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 6/22/2014 maestra said:

How do you do it? Hydroquinone first, wait 30 minutes , then apply Vit.C? I use a lot of Hydroquinone b/c the hyperpigmentation is on both sides of my face and pronounced on 1 cheekbone. I have had lightening from the Rx and wear Bobbi Brown BB cream w/spf 35 and always a hat when outdoors (I also have had basal and squamous cell cancers removed, even from my body.)

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate your experience and knowledge.

I am awful about the waiting part. I believe that the timeline is wait 20 minutes before applying the next product. I use the smoke one cigarette and then apply. I know I am bad. I quit smoking and picked it back up when my dad died. It is on my to do list to quit again. I could kick myself, I was 12 years smoke free. I use a lot of benoquin also. I go through a tube a month but it's a small tube. I am currently weaning down on it since the spots are gone. I alternate with the ASDM lightening cream. My derm back years ago told me to use benoquin twice a week to maintain my spot free skin. Of course back then you could find it here in the US, now you can't because the maker felt it wasn't cost effective. I think Michael Jackson just used it all up....{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} (sorry, I watched an autopsy special about him and his different diseases last night)

Anytime I can help maestra!!!!

Wait 20 min? I guess I should have been paying attention. Thanks for posting this, maestro and Kat.

Same with me and smoking. Quit really easily, much to my shock. LOVED being a non-smoker (wasn't aware of how the addiction really affected my quality of life), then started again when my parents died (we still equate it with a "treat" -- a reward). I thought no problem, easy to quit, I'll just get the patches again and for the life of me I haven't been successful. It's been years of patches, smoking, patches, smoking. I'm really getting tired of it. I think when we truly view it as something distasteful rather than a goodie, that's going to help make it much easier. It's just getting to that mind-set that is tough. And yeah, a cigarette is a great time killer.

I quit through hypnosis and it was hard. My son was 15 months and had allergies so I did it. I was one ugly human being for a week or two. Three years ago I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and had to lose weight. So right now the weight staying off is a bigger issue for me. That alone is a daily battle. I knew I would be a diabetic some day genetically speaking.

Maren I can give you my suppliers info but you would need to know that benoquin is for total bleaching. There is no going back on it that is why it is basically recommended for vitiligo. Plus if you can no longer get the product you are scr**ed. I order 2-3 tubes per month to stock pile. Plus I have to keep an eye on the expiration date.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll just ease in with the HQ and see how it goes. I've ordered the 2% (off eBay) and will give that a go and if I don't see the results, up it to the 4%. Or spot treat with the 4%, or... {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

If you stoped with the benoquin, what would happen to your skin? (Just curious.)

If/when you're ready to attempt quitting again, give the patches a try. Surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. The first time, anyway. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}Wackers-many thanks for the Vit C usage w/hydroquinone. I don't mind you jumping in to help out w/your experience.

KL- thank you for your insight and experience as well. Everyday is a new learning curve for me, esp. w/dealing w/melisma and the like.

Maren S-come on in, the water's great!

Super Contributor

How do you do it? Hydroquinone first, wait 30 minutes , then apply Vit.C? I use a lot of Hydroquinone b/c the hyperpigmentation is on both sides of my face and pronounced on 1 cheekbone. I have had lightening from the Rx and wear Bobbi Brown BB cream w/spf 35 and always a hat when outdoors (I also have had basal and squamous cell cancers removed, even from my body.)

I am awful about the waiting part. I believe that the timeline is wait 20 minutes before applying the next product. I use the smoke one cigarette and then apply. I know I am bad. I quit smoking and picked it back up when my dad died. It is on my to do list to quit again. I could kick myself, I was 12 years smoke free. I use a lot of benoquin also. I go through a tube a month but it's a small tube. I am currently weaning down on it since the spots are gone. I alternate with the ASDM lightening cream. My derm back years ago told me to use benoquin twice a week to maintain my spot free skin. Of course back then you could find it here in the US, now you can't because the maker felt it wasn't cost effective. I think Michael Jackson just used it all up....{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} (sorry, I watched an autopsy special about him and his different diseases last night)

Wait 20 min? I guess I should have been paying attention. Thanks for posting this, maestro and Kat.

Same with me and smoking. Quit really easily, much to my shock. LOVED being a non-smoker (wasn't aware of how the addiction really affected my quality of life), then started again when my parents died (we still equate it with a "treat" -- a reward). I thought no problem, easy to quit, I'll just get the patches again and for the life of me I haven't been successful. It's been years of patches, smoking, patches, smoking. I'm really getting tired of it. I think when we truly view it as something distasteful rather than a goodie, that's going to help make it much easier. It's just getting to that mind-set that is tough. And yeah, a cigarette is a great time killer.

I quit through hypnosis and it was hard. My son was 15 months and had allergies so I did it. I was one ugly human being for a week or two. Three years ago I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and had to lose weight. So right now the weight staying off is a bigger issue for me. That alone is a daily battle. I knew I would be a diabetic some day genetically speaking.

Maren I can give you my suppliers info but you would need to know that benoquin is for total bleaching. There is no going back on it that is why it is basically recommended for vitiligo. Plus if you can no longer get the product you are scr**ed. I order 2-3 tubes per month to stock pile. Plus I have to keep an eye on the expiration date.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll just ease in with the HQ and see how it goes. I've ordered the 2% (off eBay) and will give that a go and if I don't see the results, up it to the 4%. Or spot treat with the 4%, or... {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

If you stoped with the benoquin, what would happen to your skin? (Just curious.)

If/when you're ready to attempt quitting again, give the patches a try. Surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. The first time, anyway. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I would eventually get some spots back. I got them back in 2008, I had some benoquin left and used that but it was weak and old. I eventually lightened them a bit. I had retin-a left from my first time and that helped. Then they came back with a vengeance. 27 of the buggers. I spent a year on hydroquinone and nothing. I found a woman on ebay selling benoquin and bought some. Then ebay said she couldn't sell a prescription med on ebay. She sent me her email info and we've been communicating since April. I found out she had retin-a which I ordered and that really sped the process up for me. She gets her product from India and I am glad to let her deal with that headache. I tried ordering from there once and my card was hacked. Sorry about the long reply.

Super Contributor

Korea has those blemish patches which are fantastic. I just wish with all their expertise that they would come out with a skin lightening patch. That would be awesome for some people. It would be a product that put the medicine directly on the spot for a 10-12 hour period. Those blemish patches when you put it on at night and remove it in the morning, no more blemish.

Super Contributor

I would eventually get some spots back. I got them back in 2008, I had some benoquin left and used that but it was weak and old. I eventually lightened them a bit. I had retin-a left from my first time and that helped. Then they came back with a vengeance. 27 of the buggers. I spent a year on hydroquinone and nothing. I found a woman on ebay selling benoquin and bought some. Then ebay said she couldn't sell a prescription med on ebay. She sent me her email info and we've been communicating since April. I found out she had retin-a which I ordered and that really sped the process up for me. She gets her product from India and I am glad to let her deal with that headache. I tried ordering from there once and my card was hacked. Sorry about the long reply.

No -- I appreciate the info! Yikes -- what an ongoing battle for you! This is a whole new world for me, the discolorations never bothered me before because I always covered with makeup. But now my skin is looking so good (thank you, Skinn) and I hope it even looks better (I'm lookin' at you, ASDM), I'd like to go without makeup and just wear sunscreen and an Hourglass powder.

We'll see how it goes, and I'm happy to know I have you to hold my hand along the way. Smile Thanks!

Super Contributor

Korea has those blemish patches which are fantastic. I just wish with all their expertise that they would come out with a skin lightening patch. That would be awesome for some people. It would be a product that put the medicine directly on the spot for a 10-12 hour period. Those blemish patches when you put it on at night and remove it in the morning, no more blemish.

You'd think they would -- aren't the Korean products big on skin lightening? Or am I thinking about products from Japan?

Trusted Contributor

Kat - it sounds like you have developed your own system of Vit C, hydro and retina A which is a popular (and quite successful) formula here that many derms formulate themselves then have the local pharmacies create in small batches just for them. It's a nice advantage for patients to be able to acquire them directly from their Physicians and not have to deal with filling scripts themselves.

Generally the national chain pharmacies are not set up to create these specialized formulas while a few local pharmacies specialize in doing this.

Vit C, RA and Hydroquinone do seem to have the magic touch. I have a friend who got her cream from her derm and what a difference it has made on her skin. Last time I saw her, her melasma was undetectable and by continuing to use daily, she was preventing any reoccurrence.

Super Contributor

Ladies, there are skin bleaching patches. Just google skin lightening patches. I read a few of them but will leave the investigating to others. Wow, I am impressed.

Trusted Contributor

You'd think they would -- aren't the Korean products big on skin lightening? Or am I thinking about products from Japan?

Yes, the Koreans are as well as other Far East cultures. They have some BB and CC creams that have skin lightening ingredients in them too~