Regular Contributor

PTR vs. Paula's Choice retinol?

I recently started using the TSV Peter Thomas Roth 3 piece set which I purchased in January, I think.

I had been using JM argan oil in the winter.

The set has the retinol fusion for face and eyes, and the unwrinkle cream. It seems okay, so far, although I think the retinol fusion is a bit watery and hard to control during application.

I recently saw the Paula's Choice retinol cream and the reviews were pretty good. Also, it seems more reasonable and a better application.

Can anyone give feedback on these 2 retinol products?? TIA!

Trusted Contributor

Re: PTR vs. Paula's Choice retinol?

I have not used Paula's but I love PTR's Fusion.  It is in such a nice hydrating base which is so rare for a retinol.  It is on the watery side but I always gently blend the bottle up and down about 5 times before using and find that helps a lot with delivery.  It just seems to combine the ingredients a bit better and they go on a bit richer, at least for me.

Hope someone who has used both jumps in and gives you a comparison.  Sorry I couldn't be more help but have no reason to try PC since I like PTR's so much.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four, unfortunately, I can't compare the two for you. I use Paula's Choice 1% Clinical Retinol cream and love it. I now use it every night, with little to no irritation.

It's a high-quality formula for a reasonable price.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I use them both and like them both.  I haven't found them to be very different and didn't have a problem with either application. Yes the PTR is a bit more watery, but since I started iwth his Retinol several years ago, I've just grown so used to it being what it is without any issue.

Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your input!Smiley Happy

Seems like both are good choices.

Super Contributor

@mom2four wrote:

I recently started using the TSV Peter Thomas Roth 3 piece set which I purchased in January, I think.

The set has the retinol fusion for face and eyes, and the unwrinkle cream. It seems okay, so far, although I think the retinol fusion is a bit watery and hard to control during application.

I recently saw the Paula's Choice retinol cream and the reviews were pretty good. Also, it seems more reasonable and a better application.

PTR Retinol is 1.5%, is microencapsulated, time delayed in releasing to the skin over time, also contains C&E.  Didn't break out my sensitive skin and works on pores and fine wrinkles.  Love it.  I put some in my hand and dab on my face with my other hand's fingers.  I don't waste any product this way, so I don't understand how others are wasting this liquid gold.

Paula's Choice is 1.0%.  I found it to be sticky on my face and broke me out.  I believe the clinical strength also contains C.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four wrote:

I think both are probably really good, but I use PTR's.  I do find the watery consistency is a bit tricky, but I shake it up and am careful with how I apply it. 

My neck wrinkles have ameliroated since using the PTR retinol PM.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@susandee wrote:

@mom2four wrote:

PTR Retinol is 1.5%, is microencapsulated, time delayed in releasing to the skin over time, also contains C&E.  Didn't break out my sensitive skin and works on pores and fine wrinkles.  Love it.  I put some in my hand and dab on my face with my other hand's fingers.  I don't waste any product this way, so I don't understand how others are wasting this liquid gold.

Paula's Choice is 1.0%.  I found it to be sticky on my face and broke me out.  I believe the clinical strength also contains C.

Are you referring to her Clinical Retinol Treatment Cream as being sticky and containing Vit C?

If so, I'm surprised. It's a lightweight cream that I haven't noticed as being sticky. I also can't fine any Vit C in the ingredient deck.

I've been using this product for a few months now and seeing subtle changes without any adverse reactions.

ETA: @susandee

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear some good reviews about Paula's Retinol cream. I've been thinking of trying it as soon as I've finished Dr. Gross' pricey retinol.

I've used PTR Unwrinkle serum, and I've not noticed one improvement on one little wrinkle since I started. I've tried several of his line, and for some reason it does nothing for me. Won't reorder anything of his again. I know lots of women love him, though. 

Regular Contributor

Thanks again for your feedback. Since I have the PTR on A-D, I'll stick with it awhile and see how Iike it.