Respected Contributor

Re: PTR or Philosophy or Josie Maran?

I have used some products from each line.  I like the PTR retinol pm serum.  Just finished a jumbo size and don't see any difference in my skin though.  I like Josies face butter but I think you might could find something that is just as good for a lot less money.  I tried her milk and spf day lotion but it made my face greasy.  I do like her Argon oil.  Philosophy products are nothing special for me.  I am starting to realize that mostly these products feel good and give me hope to make myself look better but I have yet to find anything that really makes a big difference even the Retin A. that I have been using for years.  I think it is great for pimples though.  I like IT products mainly because of the spf...I hate multiple layers so it helps me to have products that do more than one thing. 

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine who works at Sephora said that Philosophy sells fairly well there.  She says most women who use Philosophy for awhile end up having faces red and a bit irritated.  She tries to move customers away from Philosophy to other lines such as PTR or Perricone or Juice (when they used to carry Juice).  

Paula Begoun had terrible reviews on Philosophy being "bad" for one's skin due to lavendar and fragrance and other oils they put in it. 

I quit using Philsophy and mainly use fragrance free items or those with fragrance listed at the very bottom of the ingredient deck.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

If you look at JM's model, Ann, her crows feet are just as deep as ever! Amazing to me what they claim about the argan oil products! They will make your skin feel more comfortable, but I don't think they address the issues you are concerned with.

I've never found PTR (his retinol fusion) or Philosophy (When Hope...) to be effective.

I, also think you are better off using an OTC retinol (like RoC. There are still other ingredients that addresses crows and fine lines, but for skin imbalance (oily) a low % retinol should help in that.

Oil dissolves oil (in theory), and so using an oil may also help the imbalance. I think the milk is more for dry skin; the oil should help with more oily skin.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1wrote:

A friend of mine who works at Sephora said that Philosophy sells fairly well there.  She says most women who use Philosophy for awhile end up having faces red and a bit irritated.  She tries to move customers away from Philosophy to other lines such as PTR or Perricone or Juice (when they used to carry Juice).  

Paula Begoun had terrible reviews on Philosophy being "bad" for one's skin due to lavendar and fragrance and other oils they put in it. 

I quit using Philsophy and mainly use fragrance free items or those with fragrance listed at the very bottom of the ingredient deck.

@winamac1  Re: philosophy. Most of the products have active ingredients such as lactic acid, AHA, retinol, etc. When you apply a serum, exfoliating wash, moisturizers, eye cream, peels (their Vit. C peel)...I’d be shocked if skin wasn’t red and irritated. 

Honored Contributor

@emmysmomwrote:

I got samples of PTR's Water Drench Cloud products..the cream cleanser, serum and the hydrating moistuizer! I got samples from Sephora! I fell in love..bought both from Ebay..still debating the serum. My skin LOVE'S hyaluronic acid..and they're getting a triple dose now. My skin feels the same at the end of the day..and when I wake up..moist..such a good feeling! Also the heat's still on and its very dry..so I am impressed! 

I also love Philosophy's Purity cleanser...all these products are gentle.

@emmysmom  Purity has parabens. I’m finishing the bottle just washing my brushes, not my face.  I’m amazed that a skincare co. that “began in a physician’s office doing lunch time peels”, still has parabens in the ingredients. Their moisturizers and some other products do, as well.

Honored Contributor

The Mad Hippie line of serums and creams are great, very reasonable and all natural.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much!  You've given lots of good advice.  Seems like there are alot of good choices and it's kind of trial and error.

Honored Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@winamac1wrote:

@winamac1  Re: philosophy. Most of the products have active ingredients such as lactic acid, AHA, retinol, etc. When you apply a serum, exfoliating wash, moisturizers, eye cream, peels (their Vit. C peel)...I’d be shocked if skin wasn’t red and irritated. 

@Shanus. Good point...but I've used other products with lactic acid/retinol and aha's....my face is not red.  I do think the lavendar and other essentials irritate some skin.  

I'm sure some swear by it but I won't use it due to what I've read.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@winamac1wrote:

@winamac1...that is EXACTLY why I stopped using Philosophy after 9 years of faithful use. I still use Purity Made Simple mask, but nothing else. Beautypedia is definitely tough on Philosophy, as well as many other lines. Although the bulk of my skincare routine is Paula’s Choice (Resist & Skin Recovery lines) several of her 5-Star products don’t do a thing for me. I think it all boils down to the individual.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@emmysmomwrote:

I got samples of PTR's Water Drench Cloud products..the cream cleanser, serum and the hydrating moistuizer! I got samples from Sephora! I fell in love..bought both from Ebay..still debating the serum. My skin LOVE'S hyaluronic acid..and they're getting a triple dose now. My skin feels the same at the end of the day..and when I wake up..moist..such a good feeling! Also the heat's still on and its very dry..so I am impressed! 

I also love Philosophy's Purity cleanser...all these products are gentle.

@emmysmom  Purity has parabens. I’m finishing the bottle just washing my brushes, not my face.  I’m amazed that a skincare co. that “began in a physician’s office doing lunch time peels”, still has parabens in the ingredients. Their moisturizers and some other products do, as well.

Oh I'm sad...finishing up my cleanser..and will just use my PTR. Nothing surprises me anymore...Thanks!!!! xxx

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West