Valued Contributor

PTR Retinol - am I using it right?

I've been using this nightly for 2 months now and notice some very small improvements (lessening of lines and less noticeable dark spots).

But my skin appears less smooth and pores are more prominent. In fact, I've gotten a few clogged pores now.

I'm washing with CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and then applying PTR Retinol.

I haven't used any other cleanser.

AM: (same for several months)

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

******+Fab glycolic pads

Hada Labo Hylauronic Lotion

Thanks for any suggestions!

Honored Contributor

Re: PTR Retinol - am I using it right?

Sounds like your skin might be a tad irritated. Roughness and open pores are a symptom of irritation and inflammation. Since it is winter you might want to reduce the glycolic treatments to every other day and add a more moisturizing moisturizer.

The hada labo lotion is more of a milky humectant serum. It attracts moisture, but it doesn't lock it in. Since you use CeraVe, maybe try the AM and PM lotions as your final step. Could be used over the hada labo and/or PTR retinol if you wanted.

Also your cleanser may be clogging your pores. The CeraVe hydrating cleanser doesn't really have much in the way of cleansing ingredients. It looks like it is mostly water, glycerin, and a hair conditioner ingredient (Behentrimonium Methylsulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol). CeraVe foaming facial cleanser is still gentle and cleanses well and still has ceramides. Works great for me. HTH a little? Heart

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

Re: PTR Retinol - am I using it right?

H

@Porcelain wrote:

Sounds like your skin might be a tad irritated. Roughness and open pores are a symptom of irritation and inflammation. Since it is winter you might want to reduce the glycolic treatments to every other day and add a more moisturizing moisturizer.

The hada labo lotion is more of a milky humectant serum. It attracts moisture, but it doesn't lock it in. Since you use CeraVe, maybe try the AM and PM lotions as your final step. Could be used over the hada labo and/or PTR retinol if you wanted.

Also your cleanser may be clogging your pores. The CeraVe hydrating cleanser doesn't really have much in the way of cleansing ingredients. It looks like it is mostly water, glycerin, and a hair conditioner ingredient (Behentrimonium Methylsulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol). CeraVe foaming facial cleanser is still gentle and cleanses well and still has ceramides. Works great for me. HTH a little? Heart

Hi Porcelain,

Some really great suggestions!

I'll try:

Cut back on the N-ip+Fab glycolic pads ("They" don't like the word n-i-p for some reason) LOL

Ditch the Hada Labo lotion for a while (it's the Premium clear lotion)

Add back the CeraVe AM  and PM moisturizers

Thank you!