Honored Contributor

Re: PTR Actually Talking About China

On 1/17/2015 HappyDaze said:

Yes, I saw him on another show a few weeks ago beaming about how one of his products flew off the shelf the day it debuted in China. He was so proud. {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

They all sell in China.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

It's all about the money for CD and this PTR, if you think not, then you are not being realistic.

Trusted Contributor

I too thought they all sold to China.
Super Contributor

He does sell in China, PLUS none of his products have worked for me...at all.

I don't like him for several reasons.

Honored Contributor

On 1/18/2015 NickNack said:
On 1/18/2015 ValuSkr said:

Just because he sells in China means he isn't cruelty-free? Sorry, I must have missed something.

Yes, selling in China means you must test on animals. China requires it.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I guess they don't have compassion for animals either.

Trusted Contributor

Just because he sells in China means he isn't cruelty-free? Sorry, I must have missed something.

As of mid 2014, China no longer mandates animal testing under certain circumstances.

From Humane Society International:

"China has taken another important step towards ending cruel animal testing for cosmetics. From June 30, animal testing for ordinary cosmetics produced and sold inside China will no longer be legally mandated. This historic rule change comes following two years of effort by the Be Cruelty-Free China campaign run by Humane Society International’s Beijing team and its Chinese animal group partners.

China cosmetics animal testing after 30 June:

• Foreign imported ordinary cosmetics – still require animal testing
  • Domestically produced ordinary* cosmetics – animal testing no longer an absolute requirement
  • Both foreign imported and domestically produced ‘special use’** cosmetics – still require animal testing
  • Domestically produced ordinary cosmetics for foreign export only – have never required animal testing
  • Any cosmetic bought in China via a foreign e-commerce website – has never required animal testing.

*‘Ordinary’ cosmetics include make-up, fragrances, skin, hair and nail care products.
** ‘Special-use’ cosmetics include hair dyes, perms and hair growth products, deodorants, sunscreens, skin-whitening creams, and other products that make a functional claim on the label."

Frequent Contributor

On 1/18/2015 Scotnovel said:

As of mid 2014, China no longer mandates animal testing under certain circumstances.

From Humane Society International:

"China has taken another important step towards ending cruel animal testing for cosmetics. From June 30, animal testing for ordinary cosmetics produced and sold inside China will no longer be legally mandated. This historic rule change comes following two years of effort by the Be Cruelty-Free China campaign run by Humane Society International’s Beijing team and its Chinese animal group partners.

China cosmetics animal testing after 30 June:

• Foreign imported ordinary cosmetics – still require animal testing
  • Domestically produced ordinary* cosmetics – animal testing no longer an absolute requirement
  • Both foreign imported and domestically produced ‘special use’** cosmetics – still require animal testing
  • Domestically produced ordinary cosmetics for foreign export only – have never required animal testing
  • Any cosmetic bought in China via a foreign e-commerce website – has never required animal testing.

*‘Ordinary’ cosmetics include make-up, fragrances, skin, hair and nail care products.
** ‘Special-use’ cosmetics include hair dyes, perms and hair growth products, deodorants, sunscreens, skin-whitening creams, and other products that make a functional claim on the label."

I'm not seeing this as much of an improvement. If anything the new policy seems filled with hypocrisy. Any cosmetics produced in China doesn't need to be tested now, but everything else still does. China doesn't have a great record with purity in what they produce, yet they demand (nearly) anything from a foreign source be tested?

On the plus side, they can buy/import online. Retailers could try to expand in this manner into China instead actually selling inside the country.

Unfortunately, it's too big of a market for cosmetics companies to ignore. China has nearly 1.4 billion people, most with money to spend. They see that they can easily double, triple (or more) their sales by selling in China. That's a very hard temptation for them to resist.

CeeCee

Honored Contributor

I know almost nothing about testing - how do companies that do not test on animals do their testing?

Yes, I could Google - but right now I just buy what I like, so I'm probably supporting plenty of companies that may be cruel in the opinions of others.

Trusted Contributor

good reason to stick exclusively w/ the products I like for skincare (Jakare see below) . It is important to purchase from people/companies with integrity and I am so glad this strand reminded me I shouldn't be tempted when I see something like that PTR trio!

As our company’s growth continues, we are committed to honoring our core values:

• Protecting our earth’s natural resources and promoting the use of sustainable ingredients.
  • Supporting small family farms and cooperatives globally, with an emphasis on women-owned or women-managed endeavors.
  • Contributing to worthwhile causes that promote the enhancement of women’s lives around the world.
  • Absolutely no animal testing
Contributor

On 1/18/2015 baker said:

It's all about the money for CD and this PTR, if you think not, then you are not being realistic.

PTR = Peter Thomas Roth

CD = ?

I have only tried the PRAI neck cream and I like it. PRAI not only does not do animal testing, they donate to animal causes all over the world. The President and CEO of the company is on the board of directors of The Humane Society.

I love everything I have purchased from Perlier and they are cruelty free.